Winchester City New 800 System

Status
Not open for further replies.

svfire1

Anyone have any info on the new 800 system that Winchester is putting into place. The cut over date is August 17th. I can only find info in the forums from 2012, I didn't know if that pertained to this. Thanks in advance.

beastieboy101

svfire1

I got word that there will be training over the next 2 weeks to get everyone adapted to the new system and work out the kinks before they switch over. I will program and see if I hear anything.

svfire1

OK, So I added the Freq's that were listed in the "Request for Waviers" letter I found online (856.4625MHz, 857.4625MHz, 858.4625MHz, 859.4625MHz, 859.7125MHz, and 856.9375MHz). So far they have been heard testing the EA buttons, and Fire Attack Training

Here is what I got so far:
1 - ?
41 - ?
71 - ?
73 is Fire 3
75 is Fire 5
76 - ?
101 - ?

Also tested Frederick Co Channel 10 which is a VHF Patch.

I am still new as far as P25 Systems go, So any help or Corrections would be great. Thanks.

Last edited:

svfire1

From the City:

The City of Winchester has been working to implement a new public safety digital communications system for the past decade. The old, antiquated system that our officers and firefighters had to use was unreliable, lacked sufficient coverage and put our personnel at risk. Communications via the radios would often cut out leaving no way for incident command to stay in touch with officers on the scene or firefighters inside a burning structure. In addition, the new system had to be put in place in order to meet new Federal narrowbanding mandates. The City had no choice but to upgrade the system and the safety of our officers and firefighters and security of sensitive or tactical information is our first priority.
Concerning encryption, only certain public safety talk groups will be encrypted in order to keep the sensitive information secure. These talk groups include:

- Secondary Police Dispatch (main dispatch talk group is not encrypted)
- Criminal and Special Investigations Units
- SWAT
- Negotiations
- Police and Fire Administration
- Fire Marshal
- Criminal Transport
- Court Security

Of the 96 potential talk groups for the Winchester Police Department, only seven are encrypted. Of the 128 potential talk groups for Fire and Rescue, only two are encrypted. Of the 96 potential talk groups for the Winchester Sheriff’s Office, only three are encrypted. All other talk groups are available for the public to hear if they have a scanner that can receive digital signals.

The new system has been tested for coverage and interoperability internally, with our volunteer fire companies, and with other jurisdictions that might respond to incidents in the city. All tests have exceeded what the City requested of the new system in the original Request for Proposals (RFP). Barring any unforeseen circumstances, the scheduled cutover date for the official switch from the old to the new system is September 7.

The City disseminates information to the public in a variety of ways including: City of Winchester |, news releases (sent to media and posted on the City’s website), opt-in alerting system, social media, Comcast cable channel 6, citizen academies, brochures/publications/reports, weekly and monthly electronic newsletters, and much more. The City of Winchester values transparency and has made great strides in being more open with information in recent years, but the radio system is a different matter. One of our highest priorities is making sure all our officers and firefighters are safe and can return home after putting their life at risk for our community.

EarlSuitor

Premium Subscriber
Sounds very reasonable !! I don't think anyone ever said that there shouldn't be covert talk groups. Only that encryption of everything is not needed and actually harmful. I, personally, in my 40 years of monitoring have spotted and called in 3 BOLO suspects. Not to mention my dozens and dozens of medical calls I found out were very close by my current location that I assisted with.[I am a former Police Dispatcher w/ Ocean City, MD and a former EMT & Paramedic w/ Montgomey Co, MD.] BTW the new Winchester system seems to be working quite well.

svfire1

Here are what City departments and divisions that will be using the City’s new system (others may be added in the future).

Winchester Police Department
Winchester Sheriff’s Office
Winchester Fire & Rescue
Emergency Communications
Emergency Management
Winchester Public Schools
Winchester Parking Authority
Winchester Transit
Winchester Parks & Recreation
Zoning & Inspections
Social Services
Public Services including Public Works, Traffic, Fleet Maintenance, and Utilities.

smwincva

Premium Subscriber
First non testing talk group; system ID

The transmitter was for the system was powered up in early spring. In April, testing began in the dispatch center. Later field testing was done, then grid testing. In grid testing, 2 teams w/ mobile or portable radios went block by block repeating simple silly phrases. In June they spent a day testing in buildings where reception might be an issue, 27 in all. The last location on the list was Carmike (theaters) at the AB Mall.

In the last week or so, city & county firefighters have been testing the radios for the EA activation , which allows a firefighter to press a button to alert he/she is in distress. More info about the EAs are here The Mayday - Technology for Better Mayday Monitoring! - Fire Engineering Training Community

When the system went to bids years ago, one thing desired was to repeat the fire primary channel (much like the WPD channels are now). During testing, the tones were broadcast on the TRS and sounded loud & clear. (On many other systems, the tones are not dispatched on the TRS side, only on the conventional frequency.)

It was also stated that the conventional frequencies would be used, especially for mutual aid. When the FD is doing the EA testing, Fire 3 and Fire 5 is being repeated on 154.415 (one a time, not together).

Right now most of WFD radio traffic is on the primary dispatch channel. However on many trunked systems, EMS calls & minor fire incidents are usually quickly moved to secondary talk groups.

For whomever at Radio Reference is setting up the entry of the new system, the ID is 06FAh-0101. The primary control channel is 856.4625. Before voice testing began, I occasionally saw the CC at 858.4625, but not in the last few months.

While there has been several talk group ID's shown, I heard the first transmissions that were not for testing. The Winchester Public School buses are using talk group ID 101. (It was the first day of classes today.)

I have the system programmed on several digital scanners, and it works great. Right now the system is P25 Phrase 1. While the system was modified to do Phrase 2/FMDA, there is no indication that it will be used in the near term. (From what I know about Phrase 2, it's decoded differently & the frequencies are split two ways to allow more users at the same time. It usually used in more populated areas where additional frequencies are harder to obtain. Also it needs several tower sites, Winchester currently only has two.)

As far as buying a new scanner, there are cheap as $250 for a older Whistler model. I like the Pro 106 in the since individual talk groups can be assigned a priority channel. Each talk group can be placed in as many folders (banks) as you want. The Whistler format is very similar in operation.

What I like about the Uniden 996 is that encryption is blocked, and that it is easier place talk groups into smaller groups within each system.

I have older radios that do not receive Phrase 2, but some newer radios will. I am unsure if individual talk groups can be made a priority channel on the newest Uniden scanners.

Recently, Winchester began issuing a transparency report each week. There have brief blurbs mentioning the status of the project. It can found at Week In Review | City of Winchester.

Steve

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
Good info. Sounds like you have enough to begin submitting to the database. Just go to Databases > Submit Info > Trunked Data, etc.

mikev

I think on Saturday, when I don't have to work, I'll toss my laptop and PSR-500 in the car, roll out that way, and watch the system with Pro96Com to get more details... I might also bring my PSR-800 and listen to see what I hear... I don't know the Winchester area horribly well, but some things - fire channels especially - are usually pretty clear.

If someone wants to get ahead of me in submitting info... the best place to start would be the Winchester City page of the database, then click the Submit tab towards the top right of the page.

mikev

Well, I hung out for about an hour and a half earlier today, got a couple of things done while out that way. I got one hit on TG 101 with no audio... and that's it. I'm submitting all of the basic system info so that it gets into the database... then the talkgroup submissions can begin.

svfire1

Here is what I have so far:
TG 101 - Winchester City School Buses
TG 105 - Winchester City School Buses
TG 73 - Winchester Fire & Rescue FIRE 3
TG 75 - Winchester Fire & Rescue FIRE 5

Hit on but no Audio so far for:
TG's 1, 11, 41, 44, 45, 47, 71, 76

smwincva

Premium Subscriber
I added the TG's submitted to the Admin list. Are all of the transmissions in P25 TDMA or are they P25 Digital? Thx.

Right now, everything is P25 but NOT Phrase 2. The capability to switch to Phrase 2 was added just before the system was powered up. The city said in a news release on Friday (also posted earlier in this thread) that any digital scanner will be able to pick up transmissions (except the encrypted talk groups). I have it on several scanners, the oldest a Bearcat 796D.

Steve

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
Right now, everything is P25 but NOT Phrase 2. The capability to switch to Phrase 2 was added just before the system was powered up. The city said in a news release on Friday (also posted earlier in this thread) that any digital scanner will be able to pick up transmissions (except the encrypted talk groups). I have it on several scanners, the oldest a Bearcat 796D.

Steve
I like the fact that they are seeming to want to allow the public to listen to them. Complete opposite from Clarke Co. SO.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

freqhopping

This system has good range. Heading west I began receiving it along Rt7 before cresting the mountain. Still had it while crossing the Shenandoah river. Received it up to Martinsburg in some low areas away from town.

Status
Not open for further replies.