Wendy: TRX-1 audio hiss issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Wendy, should my new TRX-1 make a hissing sound while receiving analog and digital carrier? The sound is similar to the "air leaking from a car tire" on the PRO106 I own, but is at a level 2-3 times louder. It's very noticeable and distracting, as it sounds like open analog carrier on a frequency coming in with a poor signal, but this is on P25 even when voice is not present. I need to know if this was a design allowance or if I have a defective unit, so I can return it for a replacement before it is too late. The hiss is also passed through at the same level through the headphone jack. Others report not having this hiss.

Here is a link to a video clip showing the issue, along with the same test on a 436HP, which has absolute zero level hiss.

https://youtu.be/SoBonG5jhbE

Yes, that is my Emmy award in the background. :)

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Try putting Audio boost for all your frequencies Control A selects all and then tick the box,once.On the Ezscan Program.

ButchGone

I'll bet a cheeseburger the issue your are describing is the result of Whistler's choice of audio circuit components. Cheap audio circuits are electronically "dirty," meaning they produce unwanted noise. Many electronic manufacturers are using the cheapest sourced components possible, Uniden included. The 536's audio circuit produces some annoying artifacts too, that get worse with the addition of an external speaker. So until Whistler and Uniden source better quality audio components in their products, dirty audio will remain an issue.
BG?..

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Butch, that would be what I was referencing (in a kinder way) as "design allowance".

My concern is that the other owners of TRX-1's who have commented on RR, have stated that they DO NOT experience this audio hiss, so I am afraid I may have a defective unit.

Paul

Voyager

I've heard the same in just about all digital scanners (some more than others). The analog audio gate is not closing completely.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
My PRO106 is similar, but not THAT loud. And these are P25 transmissions, are you talking about some internal DAC issue?

Paul

prcguy

Gee, that's bold statement, do you even own a TRX-1 and have you experienced the same problem to even give an opinion? Otherwise I see you have no clue on audio circuit design and what causes any hiss.
prcguy

I'll bet a cheeseburger the issue your are describing is the result of Whistler's choice of audio circuit components. Cheap audio circuits are electronically "dirty," meaning they produce unwanted noise. Many electronic manufacturers are using the cheapest sourced components possible, Uniden included. The 536's audio circuit produces some annoying artifacts too, that get worse with the addition of an external speaker. So until Whistler and Uniden source better quality audio components in their products, dirty audio will remain an issue.
BG?..

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
prc, he is right, my TRX-1 has been producing "unwanted noise" for the past week......constant chattering of the word Pokemon on police dispatch channels. :)

Paul

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Just to clarify prc, your TRX-1 does not hiss like that? Are you running stock DAC and ADC settings? I tried adjusting them all over to see if they were boosting the noise floor amplification or something, but same hiss.

Paul

cpetraglia

I don't here any hiss at all. I played the video twice with the volume up real loud on my PC speakers and could not notice anything. Not saying there is not one to the owner. Any radio is going to have some back round noise though it may be minute.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
You seriously don't hear that whooshing noise?

Anyway, just asked for an RMA for exchange from Zip scanners. If I had a defective 436HP, it would be a return request not exchange.......obviously, I have affections for the TRX-1 that I never could find for the 436HP.

Paul

prcguy

No hiss from mine but I'm only using the internal speaker. If a signal is analog FM and full quieting it sounds better than most any handheld scanner I've heard and no different than most of my hand held transceivers. Digital sounds great and no hiss that I can find.
prcguy

You seriously don't hear that whooshing noise?

Anyway, just asked for an RMA for exchange from Zip scanners. If I had a defective 436HP, it would be a return request not exchange.......obviously, I have affections for the TRX-1 that I never could find for the 436HP.

Paul

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Yeah, the TRX-1 has the absolute most pleasant P25 audio of any scanner I own, all the Unidens and Radio Shacks.........

Paul

Comp-100

I can hear the annoying background on your video when they are not talking, but I don't have a TRX-1 to compare it to. Is it possible that frequency has analog transmissions also? Do you have it set for digital only?

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
That is only digital....at the end of the TRX-1 clip there is a bit of analog.....you can hear the popping from my WiFi router......none of my other scanners pick that up.

Paul

kikito

Premium Subscriber
The ONLY hiss I hear is the normal audio amp noise that's been around on most of the GRE/Whistlers throughout the years. Most of us are apparently used to it, especially if it gets us much more solid trunk tracking and audio than the alternatives.

The Unidens apparently have some more/different filtering that while it gets rid of that "hiss" before/during/after a voice transmission, it also makes the voice sound muffled, too bassy and hard to understand at times.

Anybody noticed how much clearer the transmissions were on the TRX-1?

Again, nothing new...

SCPD

QRT
I don't here any hiss at all. I played the video twice with the volume up real loud on my PC speakers and could not notice anything. Not saying there is not one to the owner. Any radio is going to have some back round noise though it may be minute.

Agreed .. I do not hear anything out of the ordinary as well.

WhistlerWendy

Premium Subscriber
Sorry for the delay to respond to your question. I am traveling today and currently in SFO.
If like to get one of my technicians to hear what you are hearing. can you give Bryan a call on Monday at 1-866-531-0004 and walk him through what you are hearing?

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Sure can...........what hours will he be available Pacific time? It is basically the same whooshing hiss from my old PRO106, but 2-3 times the volume level. Sounds like an ope analog carrier that is not full signal, but it's there al the time. I would have done the test using the headphone out to the mic in on my camera, but I am sure someone would have said that that was the cause of the hiss. If I am stuck with the hiss, the scanner is still preferable to my 436HP.......in fact, my 436 has lived in a box since new several years ago, but the TRX-1 comes to work for me every night.

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.