Hara Arena to close

Status
Not open for further replies.

hardt0303

I just heard through the local news source Hara Arena is going to close Aug. 27. Will that be the end to Dayton Hamvention ? Where could they move it to?

ecps92

Dayton (DARA) Hamvention will be making an announcement of the new (same area) partner in the near future.
I just heard through the local news source Hara Arena is going to close Aug. 27. Will that be the end to Dayton Hamvention ? Where could they move it to?

Yagi

I've been to a number of smaller hamfests that were in dumps.

For my visits to Dayton I just treated it as an adventure and enjoyed the outdoor area to look for deals on equipment. The inside area was fun to see the new stuff and pick up the obligatory free Yaesu hat.

It sounds like DARA was planning for this and so hopefully have spent some time planning for the transition.

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
At least I got to Dayton once so I can say "Been there done that".. Hopefully they move it somewhere closer so I don't have to drive as far. Minneapolis would be nice.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
Well, I'm glad I decided to go this year for the first, and now last time. I look forward to whatever place DARA is able to secure for the future.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I've never went, but seen lots of video. I'm not one for large crowds. :). 73, n9zas

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
Honestly I'm not surprised. I was there twice over the past few years and the first time it was looking really old and long overdue for a total refurbishment.

The following year I wasn't even there but I think you may recall the stories of the river of raw sewage that flowed from the building through the parking lot due to a major plumbing malfunction.

The next year I was back, it was even more dilapidated than it was the first time. It looked like the Arena that Time Forgot to Maintain.

a29zuk

Wow, have never been there either, but the Dayton Gems of the old International Hockey League played there in the '60s and 70's with another brief stint from 2009-2012. Was hoping to go there within the next few years to the hamvention. Looks like it won't happen now.

Jim

N9NRA

Premium Subscriber
The end of Hara Arena.

I`ve been lucky enough to have done five runs to Dayton, and yes, Hara was a dump, it wasn`t the brightest light in the set that`s for sure, but even with all the "quirks" i still loved going there. Always looked forward to that fun ride and seeing that place again, and last May i got to see it again...for the last time it turns out. I will miss some aspects of the place, and there`ll be a lotta things i DEFENITELY WON`T miss. But i try to remember all the fun memories i have of all them rides i took each year, and seeing some of the "unexpected events" :D that happened (like "it came from the sewers" LOL). Yes the place wasn`t great, in fact i do agree it was a dump. But now as i start thinking on when i`ll snag my bus & train tix this year i`m asking the same questions i`m sure y`all are asking, like, "will the price of tix for the show go up?" "What of parking and the flea market and the inside exibitors/forums?" So yeah, i`m gonna miss good ol` Hara, yes, it wasn`t the youngest kid on the block anymore, and we`re going to be going to a newer (and mabey better, who knows?) venue, but i still will have a chuckle when i think of Hara Arena, it was the place where Hamvention "lived" for all them years, and frankly i liked that place, even with it`s many "charms" :). N9NRA

N9NRA

Premium Subscriber
some thoughts on Hara Arena, and the Hamvention`s new home.

I just got to thinkin` about the closing of Hara Arena, and ya know it`s kinda funny to me, i can still remember riding to Dayton & laughing at all the folksies on places like Facebook yapping on about how Hara Arena was going to go away someday and even having a snicker about it on the train with some folks i know that work for Amtrak, we used to have a good laugh about the arena too but i`ll digress for now :). Anyway, as i rode to Dayton last may we again were kinda making fun of the arena during a conversation about a kinda funny "what-if" senario of the power failing at the arena during the show (made for a good chuckle and made the miles fly past a bit faster too :)). I never dreamed that i`d be seeing the day that place would close & ride off into the sunset, but it has. I kinda thought that like my brother-in-law Hara would go another few years till something really gnarly happened and THEN it would go away (we use to joke about it toppling over too). I can remember sitting on the #51 Cardinal running bck to this state literally snickering myself to sleep after another totally funny chat about that old nag known as Hara Arena :D. Now it`s really happening. Thanx Hara for the fun memories, and may you rest in peace. Now we look forward to the new home of Dayton Hamvention and see what crops up going forward. I will again board a bus & train come May with wonder and excitement about what the new venue will look like as the trains carry me to meet my brother in Cincinnati. And i`m sure y`all feel the same way i do too...or mabey not :), but we all will still have a great time at Hamvention, just like we do every year, and that`s what matters folks. N9NRA

k6cpo

I've never been to Hamvention, mostly because of time and money constraints, but I'm kinda pleased to see Hara closing, forcing DARA to take the event elsewhere. It didn't reflect well on ham radio that the annual "flagship" event was held in such a dump. I'm surprised the local heath department didn't step in and close the place down after the parking lot incident a couple of years ago...

Voyager

Yet the track record of events that have moved is that they don't survive...

Hopefully Hamvention will be the exception.

Status
Not open for further replies.