Programming P25 Multi site on TRX-1&2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmontes77029

I am trying to create multiple scanlist for the same system.There are multiple sites and I want to program the same system in multiple scanlist base on what area of town I am in. They will have the same talkgroups but each scan list will have a different site. When I try to do this it seems that all the sites are enabled on all scanlist. Is there anyway to just use the one preferred site for each scanlist? I am using the ez scan software. The system I am trying to program is the TXWARN P25 system. I hope I am making sense of what I want to do.

simmsrep

Premium Subscriber
I ran into the same problem with the N.C. viper system. I wanted to monitor person county but also had sites for traveling back and forth to raleigh and all the sites were enabled on both scanlist. I ended up deleting the person county scanlist and creating a new p25 trunked system in ez scan naming it person county, put in the control channel for the roxboro site and named it site one. Then I added the talkgroup id's of what I wanted to monitor.. Worked great for me. If you have a lot of talkgroups you want to monitor it may take a lot of time to program though. Maybe someone has another solution.

jmontes77029

That is exactly what I did. I just duplicated systems and on the duplicated systems I remove sites I did not need. Then I created scan list for each site and add all the same talk groups in each scan list. Took a awhile but I figured it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
32 Limited

I have a GRE PSR 500. I hated only one feature of this radio, the 32 frequency limit when programming a large radio system. I was constantly having to count the frequencies in the control channels in order not to get the statement about exceeding the 32 frequency limit. I thought Whistler fixed this issue.

I would prefer being able to load all system frequencies. Before anyone in RR forums responds stating that I only have to load the control channels, I will share a story.

One day, while visiting Santa Fe, NM, I had been listening to their trunking system. When I was downtown, I observed a SFPD unit running hot. The scanner was completely dead. So, I went back and loaded all of the system frequencies and things went back to normal.

Sometimes, you never know when someone changes the control channels and you are left in the dark. I see changes in system frequencies on a fairly frequent basis.

Last edited:

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
Which TxWARN sites? Where are you? I too monitor this system.

The key is to download the system once from the database with ALL of the talkgroups. Alternatively, just copy and paste the entire table from the website and import via clipboard. And then NEVER update the system again from the database. DO NOT USE THE DATABASE IMPORT AGAIN, or it will modify each duplicate system to be the same.

After you have the "model" system, get all of your talkgroup settings adjusted (backlight, record, delay, etc.).

Then duplicate the system for each site you want to monitor.

Delete all but one site for each system.

For each system-site, leave only the active control channel.

Add a wildcard talk group to each system-site.

Create a scanlist corresponding to each site. For each system-site, change all of the talk groups to the corresponding scanlist.

DO NOT IMPORT FROM THE DATABASE AGAIN OR IT WILL RUIN EVERYTHING.

Feel free to email me what you have and I will take a look.

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
A wildcard will tune to any talk group. It is important because on a system as big as TxWARN, it's impractical to have every talk group in a database. You can add it through the radio or in the Trunked System tab of EZ Scan to the right of the talk group window.

I hope you read the parts in bold and all caps so you don't let the update feature ruin what you have going.

Sounds like some fun stuff. Happy scanning. Keep in touch. I might ask you about some good talk groups later on.

simmsrep

Premium Subscriber
I think if you went into ezscan and changed the name of your trunked system and the name of your site you can update your database and ezscan will skip over these that you changed the name on. I have 2 duplicates from N.C. viper and 2 from the Virginia Stars both p25 systems. I did this and I update every week and have not had any problems. I guess changing the names fools the software into thinking it's something other than viper or stars. I also have a motorola system, Wake County N.C. It has 39 channels listed in the database. Even though I check the box import only control channels it still imports all channels. The control channel is 38th in line so with the control channels limited to 32 I would have to go in and delete the channels and add the control manually. Every time I updated the database it would add all the channels back and I would have to do it all over again. So I changed the name of the site which was wake county simulcast to site one and have not had any problems since.

toddatkins

Premium Subscriber
The way I ended up doing mine is that I imported the entire P25 system into scanlist 001.

1. I went through and clicked on most all the trunk ID's that I knew I wasn't interested in, and clicked "REMOVE", *not* delete. Better not to click delete, just remove.

2. Then I highlighted --either ctrl-click each one or shift-clk entire bunches of rows-- all of the Sheriff's trunk IDs, having first pulled up the RRef PDF showing what's what. Then (and here is the cool trick) I clicked once on the last column in the scanlist (column 12) that is called "scanlist" and when the "select scanlist" comes up, I uncheck 01, and click 02, thus immediately putting all Sheriff trunk IDs in Scanlist 002.

3. Then you will notice that once you've unchecked the Sheriff trunk IDs from the select scanlist "01" box and checked the "02" box, they are no longer located in the 01 scanlist, they are in scanlist 002 only. Cool!

4. Go into "General Settings" and name the 02 Alpha Tag "Sheriff" or whatever you want.

5. Go back and repeat step #2 for the next group (for me it's City Police), and on down the line until the only thing left in your 01 scanlist is your favorite group (for me it's State Police), and odd things you don't like or use.

6. The key is NOT to click "DELETE" for the odd things you don't like, but to merely highlight them all and click "REMOVE".

7. Once you've got all your scanlists sorted and Alpa Tags renamed. You can also rename your Trunk ID's in each scanlist if you like (I like to do this because some of the database names are cryptic). The RRef PDF of your P25 will help with this.

8. Then you can go into each scanlist, highlight every trunk ID and click on any Bkl/LED box, and dial it in according to preference and it will change the entire scanlist. Same with "alert" like Chip. I have all my TAC and Narcotics trunk IDs set to chirp, because it perks me up to listen closer. I also set my priority trunk ID's (PRI) at this point.

9. I learned all this through trial and error because I'm a stubborn old mule who refuses to read the manual. I messed up many times trying to delete trunk IDs from various scanlists, etc. And coming close once or twice to packing the whole thing up and sending it back. Once I figured it out, I was a kid in a candy store. This unit is brilliant, and I love it.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.