NMO Low Profile Mobile Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

WA9JGB

Premium Subscriber
Looking for input on a low profile NMO mount antenna. Has to be dual band, and black in color. Preferably under 36 inches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teufler

i HAVE A DUAL band antenna, black in color 33" tall, with base 35" tall. Got it a a hamfest years ago. Some chrome on the black base, but thats for rust minimizing and electrical conductivity. I have a couple dual bands that are short, 16 to 18" tall, good for local but not good for long distance stuff.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Larsen used to sell two versions of a dual band short antenna.

NMO-2-70SH and I don't recall the other one.

One was a closed coil with a spring base. 1/4 wave on VHF, so about 19" tall. Base and coil were black, whip elements were chrome, but it's easy enough to put some heat shrink on them.
Other one was an open coil with no spring. Also 1/4 wave on VHF. It was all black.

I own both and they both worked well.

However, keep in mind that a 1/4 wave VHF antenna is an odd wavelength on 70cm, so they actually work quite well. I did this for years on one of my trucks. A simple $10 1/4 wave VHF NMO antenna. It probably had an odd radiation pattern on UHF, but I never had any issues with it. Checking SWR showed the SWR was actually better on UHF than it was on VHF.
And, very low profile. A thin whip chrome 1/4 wave antenna really blends in well. You can also get the whips/base in black, or just do the heat shrink trick above.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Lookup the Tram 1181, if I recall its vhf/ uhf and around 19" :wink: 73, n9zas

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Plus one on this antenna. I had the same "requirements" as your did when I was looking for a antenna for my Kia Forte, this antenna fit the bill and worked great.

While I do prefer the Larsen antennas, my dad has one of these on a Chevy Equinox, mag mount (gasp!). Seems to work pretty well considering it's a bit shorter than a full 1/4 wave.

canav844

I've been using the Comet SSB-2NMO since 2009

Comet SBB-2/SBB-2NMO Product Reviews

Took a tiny amount of tuning for the first install, but it comes with a set screw for that. It's preformed well. I've got a preference for black cars, and it usually ends up looking like a stock AM/FM antenna from a few years back.

Edit: Noticed you were in Johnson County. While I had an used a mobile setup with this antenna in that area with decent success, in the hills around Greene, Morgan, Monroe County etc. other hams I was around did have fewer dead spots from far off repeaters (2-3 counties away) in the hills with 1/2 waves, where the SSB had some notable picket fencing in valleys.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.