New x36HP f/w available for SD patch fix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Uniden released an update, available through Sentinel, with the firmware for the x36HP scanners that includes the patch issue fix for the RCS. As far as I know, the RCS is the only system reported to have this patch issue with the Uniden scanners.

Paul

seh911

Feed Provider
Uniden released an update, available through Sentinel, with the firmware for the x36HP scanners that includes the patch issue fix for the RCS. As far as I know, the RCS is the only system reported to have this patch issue with the Uniden scanners.

Paul

So 396x and 996xt users just suffer through?
Anderegg, can you give more detail about how you know this is a patch for SD RCS?

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
The 996P2 has a beta f/w testing in progress for the "patch bug".

I know this because myself and other SD Uniden owners notified UPman of the issue,a nd he jumped on it to fix it. The issue has not been reported outside of the SD County RCS system.

Paul

seh911

Feed Provider
The 996P2 has a beta f/w testing in progress for the "patch bug".

I know this because myself and other SD Uniden owners notified UPman of the issue,a nd he jumped on it to fix it. The issue has not been reported outside of the SD County RCS system.

Paul

Well hopefully they are working on a 396xt patch as well but I doubt it, as upman has known about this bug for ages (since the last 396xt update rolled out.) Many of us in San Diego posted the "fix" which was to revert to the previous firmware.

seh911

Feed Provider
So I checked out the Uniden threads, including this one: http://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-tech-support/285012-test-p25-decode-improvement.html

I changed the band defaults for all 800mhz bands to FM, from NFM.

My (subjective) experience has been that I have significantly reduced "motorboating" and cut off beginning of transmissions. This is only with a limited 3-5 days of monitoring Any others who want to try this with the RCS, I would like to hear results. Note: I am on the roll-back (not current) firmware.

seh911

Feed Provider
Which Firmware
for Which Scanner?
396xt
and why not try the newer firmware and test for improvement?
See this thread (http://forums.radioreference.com/sa...sion/324024-rcs-north-cell-all-choppy.htmland ) and the linked thread. No updated firmware was ever released by Uniden after 1.11.01 that severely disabled the scanner, despite the known issues at the time.

Now these same (P25) issues are getting attention as they are continuing to affect current models on these same system types (SD RCS), as they cannot be ignored with these models.

By the way, what system in San Diego do you monitor and what equipment do you use?

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
If you are getting motorboating on the RCS with an x36HP scanner, you have some serious menu item problems, change your settings. Are you running "all" for audio mode on the RCS? There are no talkgroups capable of digital AND analog.

seh911

Feed Provider
Anderegg,

Not sure if this is directed at me, or if 396xt is considered a "x36HP", scanner, but I don't think so.

But, can you elaborate as to the settings issues you refer to ("all) for the 396xt?
Thanks

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Yes you seh.........if you set the channel audio type to "all", instead of specifying "digital only" or "analog only", you may experience motorboating. The RCS digital talkgroups are DIGITAL ONLY, so if you set the talkgroup to "all", it will expect the possibility of ANALOG, and allow the squelch to open to CARRIER. You are hearing the talkgroup being allowed to pass the analog carrier while the scanner determines it is DIGITAL audio and making the conversion.

Also, the RCS transmits 25KHz wideband FM. Obviously P25 is NFM only, but the analog stuff is not NFM.

Paul

seh911

Feed Provider
Yes you seh.........if you set the channel audio type to "all", instead of specifying "digital only" or "analog only", you may experience motorboating. The RCS digital talkgroups are DIGITAL ONLY, so if you set the talkgroup to "all", it will expect the possibility of ANALOG, and allow the squelch to open to CARRIER. You are hearing the talkgroup being allowed to pass the analog carrier while the scanner determines it is DIGITAL audio and making the conversion.

Also, the RCS transmits 25KHz wideband FM. Obviously P25 is NFM only, but the analog stuff is not NFM.

Paul
Paul,

I always thought the scanner would figure it out (fast enough), but may depend on other factors. I presume you are saying that the setting can be made talkgroup-by-talkgroup? I'll check out my settings later.

Thanks again.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Correct, talkgroup by talkgroup. Using Freescan, can select the drop down for each talkgroup and by pressing A or D then enter, quickly change them to what they should be......then, no more motorboating.

Paul

seh911

Feed Provider
Correct, talkgroup by talkgroup. Using Freescan, can select the drop down for each talkgroup and by pressing A or D then enter, quickly change them to what they should be......then, no more motorboating.

Paul
Great, what's the cut-off for the TG# from analog to digital? 12000?

Status
Not open for further replies.