Ocala fl upgrading?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wrngnmbr6

I have a cop friend of mine telling me they got new radios and by the end of the year they are switching systems and are going to encrypted which at this time they are not. How can I find out if any of this is true? Thank you in advance

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
I have a few of cop friends as well. They know how to PTT and change the channel but I wouldn't trust them with any word of mouth news regarding system specs.

I believe the average recommended lifespan of a portable for public safety use is 5 years so they could simply be replacing portables with newer models. Or maybe preparing for a Phase II upgrade?

Then again central Florida is ENC central. You could try contacting one of the radio admins or submitting a public records request and get the info directly from the source.

wrngnmbr6

Thank you very much for responding and I'm sure you're right that this cop friend of mine probably has no clue about specs and stuff like that. If I did want to submit a public records request how do I go about doing it? How do I word it? I never looked into anything like this but I am curious. I'm also not sure how to get in touch with the radio admins either. See the thing is I run a Facebook group for Ocala & Marion County Sheriff where I live feed my scanner, post calls, pictures and videos. If this was to happen it would be over for me LOL. Which I know is only a matter of time anyway. Been doing this scanner thing for over 20 years and I know its a dying hobby cause of encryption. Thanks again for any help you can give me.

tumegpc

Premium Subscriber
See the thing is I run a Facebook group for Ocala & Marion County Sheriff where I live feed my scanner, post calls, pictures and videos. If this was to happen it would be over for me LOL. Which I know is only a matter of time anyway. Been doing this scanner thing for over 20 years and I know its a dying hobby cause of encryption. Thanks again for any help you can give me.

Sure it's a matter of time. Not everyone wants to see, hear or be reminded of a horrific accident or fatality of a family member or friend. Especially not on social media.

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
If I did want to submit a public records request how do I go about doing it? How do I word it? I never looked into anything like this but I am curious. I'm also not sure how to get in touch with the radio admins either.

There are a ton of resources on the internet on how to make public record requests. You can call the police department general number and ask to speak to the radio shop as well.

Calling may give you the answer right away and for free. Or they may treat you with suspicion and refuse to talk to you about it. Then you'd need to submit a records request that may incur fees.

I prefer to submit official records requests. If it's not exempt from public record, it is none of their business who I am or why I need the records.

If you do find out with absolute certainty that blanket encryption is in their future, alert your local media about it. Get them riled up. It has worked in my area on at least one occasion.

wrngnmbr6

Sure it's a matter of time. Not everyone wants to see, hear or be reminded of a horrific accident or fatality of a family member or friend. Especially not on social media.

You'd be surprised how many people DO want to know on social media even family members. I have had nothing but a lot of support with what I do and was also on the news for it. Them moving to encryption would have nothing to do with me lol. That stuff has been happening for years now and there are a million groups and Facebook pages that do the same. The positive reaction far outweighs the negative but there is always a few from the peanut gallery.

Last edited:

wrngnmbr6

There are a ton of resources on the internet on how to make public record requests. You can call the police department general number and ask to speak to the radio shop as well.

Calling may give you the answer right away and for free. Or they may treat you with suspicion and refuse to talk to you about it. Then you'd need to submit a records request that may incur fees.

I prefer to submit official records requests. If it's not exempt from public record, it is none of their business who I am or why I need the records.

If you do find out with absolute certainty that blanket encryption is in their future, alert your local media about it. Get them riled up. It has worked in my area on at least one occasion.

Ok sounds like a plan and thank you very much again. I will do a public records request and if true I will alert the media and get them riled up. Considering I have many reporters in my group and was on the news once before for what I do that shouldn't be too hard. I will keep you posted.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
You could try contacting one of the radio admins or submitting a public records request and get the info directly from the source.

I run a Facebook group for Ocala & Marion County Sheriff where I live feed my scanner, post calls, pictures and videos. If this was to happen it would be over for me LOL. Which I know is only a matter of time anyway. Been doing this scanner thing for over 20 years and I know its a dying hobby cause of encryption. Thanks again for any help you can give me.

You can call the police department general number and ask to speak to the radio shop as well.

Why draw even more attention to the hobby? A combo of things over the years have led to ENC. Streaming, discussion of tactical ops, bad guys caught doing things with scanners etc etc. Time will tell whats going to happen, and I am not telling you to not stir up anything or what to do but, why take a chance and put it into the spot light that they can still be heard?

Just saying... I really believe every time they see and hear their comms in the news they get pissed. They don't want public knowing anything. It hurts their ability to cover stuff up. And after the club thing, there is more involvement with Homeland there than there was in the past. A friend called OPD and Orange County Sheriff asking about scanner laws in cars and was referred to Homeland Security last week. Florida LE has been very shaken up for the last 2 months..

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
I agree that getting on their radar does carry the possibility of hurting the cause. But whether he calls or sends a FOIA request, other parties will find out anyway. Ultimately, he has a right to make records requests and speak to public officials whether they like it or not. And clearly they don't.

I've made records requests (such as personnel files, E-mails, MDT messages) that should only involve communication between myself and the records custodian. But I've received follow up calls from the supervisors of the request target asking why I needed them and what my intentions were.

However, getting the media involved before any encryption programming is sent out is anyone's best bet. Once the radios are reprogrammed they're going to say changes would be an added expense to taxpayers... an argument that will generally turn off what little of the general public care about open local government comms.

NC1

I run a Facebook group for Ocala & Marion County Sheriff where I live feed my scanner, post calls, pictures and videos.

Do you have a link to the feed?

I moved from there a while ago and have been looking to monitor the area for a while now.

There used to be a live feed but it has been gone for some time now. I sure do miss it.

CanesFan95

I agree that getting on their radar does carry the possibility of hurting the cause. But whether he calls or sends a FOIA request, other parties will find out anyway. Ultimately, he has a right to make records requests and speak to public officials whether they like it or not. And clearly they don't.

I've made records requests (such as personnel files, E-mails, MDT messages) that should only involve communication between myself and the records custodian. But I've received follow up calls from the supervisors of the request target asking why I needed them and what my intentions were.

However, getting the media involved before any encryption programming is sent out is anyone's best bet. Once the radios are reprogrammed they're going to say changes would be an added expense to taxpayers... an argument that will generally turn off what little of the general public care about open local government comms.

Which TV station do you work for?

wrngnmbr6

Do you have a link to the feed?

I moved from there a while ago and have been looking to monitor the area for a while now.

There used to be a live feed but it has been gone for some time now. I sure do miss it.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/OcalaFloridaPoliceScanner/

It's just a group but in only 6 months time I have almost 20,000 members so I must be doing something right. I don't do a live feed 24/7 just do it a few times a day but I post calls when I'm not live. Let people know what's going on and what areas to stay away from. Accidents, fires and shootings stuff like that. Broadcastify does have Marion County on it where you can listen to MCSO & MCFR but I also cover OPD & OFR which is not on the app. TV20 even came to my house and did a story on me and my group.

wrngnmbr6

Why draw even more attention to the hobby? A combo of things over the years have led to ENC. Streaming, discussion of tactical ops, bad guys caught doing things with scanners etc etc. Time will tell whats going to happen, and I am not telling you to not stir up anything or what to do but, why take a chance and put it into the spot light that they can still be heard?

Just saying... I really believe every time they see and hear their comms in the news they get pissed. They don't want public knowing anything. It hurts their ability to cover stuff up. And after the club thing, there is more involvement with Homeland there than there was in the past. A friend called OPD and Orange County Sheriff asking about scanner laws in cars and was referred to Homeland Security last week. Florida LE has been very shaken up for the last 2 months..

Orange county and Orlando is pretty much all ENC anyway and I'm aware of the scanner laws also. I was just wondering if there was any truth to Ocala upgrading and possibly going to ENC.I don't see any harm in that. I actually find it hard to believe that the city would upgrade before my county but I guess anything is possible. Also considering that at this time both Ocala & Marion County can communicate with each other if the city did switch then that would be gone and make things very difficult for both agencies. My friend who works for Ocala already doesn't sound happy about that. Thank you very much for your input.

NC1

https://www.facebook.com/groups/OcalaFloridaPoliceScanner/

It's just a group but in only 6 months time I have almost 20,000 members so I must be doing something right. I don't do a live feed 24/7 just do it a few times a day but I post calls when I'm not live. Let people know what's going on and what areas to stay away from. Accidents, fires and shootings stuff like that. Broadcastify does have Marion County on it where you can listen to MCSO & MCFR but I also cover OPD & OFR which is not on the app. TV20 even came to my house and did a story on me and my group.

Looks like you did a good job with the page, 20,000 people can't be wrong :)

The Broadcastify does have the listing for Marion County, but the status is "DELETED", and is is never online at all any more. :( It has been dead like that for a couple years.

Keep up the good work! I'll be checking your page often.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Orange county and Orlando is pretty much all ENC anyway and I'm aware of the scanner laws also. I was just wondering if there was any truth to Ocala upgrading and possibly going to ENC.I don't see any harm in that. I actually find it hard to believe that the city would upgrade before my county but I guess anything is possible. Also considering that at this time both Ocala & Marion County can communicate with each other if the city did switch then that would be gone and make things very difficult for both agencies. My friend who works for Ocala already doesn't sound happy about that. Thank you very much for your input.

There is never any harm in wondering. There can be harm however with foi requests and calling agencies, bringing attention to the fact that this agency can STILL be heard. Again, not telling you or anybody what to do. But why in the world would anyone want to draw anymore attention to the hobby? That's partly why why Fl is almost all ENC.

But hey, you have a good thing at the moment, you can hear Ocala. I don't see that lasting much longer when they get phone calls asking if they are going to ENC. ,,,

Deputy) Hey chief, got another call about ENC.
Chief) Ok, tell the boys to flip the switch...
End of story..

whooey

Free country to do what you want, but FB pages like that and streaming scanner feeds so any joe blow can listen on his prepaid phone are a big part of why everyone is going encrypted. (Isn't it illegal to tell others what you've heard?)

Scanner listeners that show up to scenes (AKA Squirrels) just get in the way according to 100% of my LEO/EMS friends.

I'll keep scanning and keep what I hear to myself until Alachua County goes ENC.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Free country to do what you want, but FB pages like that and streaming scanner feeds so any joe blow can listen on his prepaid phone are a big part of why everyone is going encrypted. (Isn't it illegal to tell others what you've heard?)

Exactly !!! Definitely one of the reasons for ENC

Scanner listeners that show up to scenes (AKA Squirrels) just get in the way according to 100% of my LEO/EMS friends.

Here on Long Island they are called ambulance chasers or buffs. I passed a scene at one point and there were like 10 guys walking around with scanners blasting. NO GOOD !!!!

I'll keep scanning and keep what I hear to myself until Alachua County goes ENC.

Same as me. I know stuff and know the minute it gets posted things will happen.

There is a system here and all was good until people started posting what they were hearing. Now that tg is ENC

Definitely a free country and when people feel excersing what they feel are their rights, in front of L E , its L E that has the final say. ENC

I am nisputing rights, but its well known some people take it way to far...

wrngnmbr6

Looks like you did a good job with the page, 20,000 people can't be wrong :)

The Broadcastify does have the listing for Marion County, but the status is "DELETED", and is is never online at all any more. :( It has been dead like that for a couple years.

Keep up the good work! I'll be checking your page often.

The feed does work as I use it all the time. I have 3 apps on my phone that all have it. Plus the rest of my admins use it to help me. You must be looking in the wrong place or something. Yes it was dead for a long time. Actually that was one of the reasons for starting the group but since then has came back online maybe just a few months ago. I'm thinking its a member I kicked out from my group lol. Thank you for the compliment and welcome to the group. Feel free to message me sometime on FB or send a friend request.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.