All Windows 10 Kernel Mode Drivers Must Be Digitally Signed By Microsoft

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
<sigh> Driver signing is going to make USB cable connections even more of a pain in the rump than they are now.

Thanks a lot Micro-Stupid...Mike

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
<sigh> Driver signing is going to make USB cable connections even more of a pain in the rump than they are now.

Can it get any worse?

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber

No doubt! I hope they gave Uniden / Whistler a heads up on this. Some GRE, and/or Radio Shack scanners, that use the USB cable might have problems as well.

z31jaime

I'm on 1607 now and haven't had any issues

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

jackj

I don't believe this is about protecting people from malicious drivers. It is all about ensuring that you have to buy all new peripherals when you buy a new computer. Too many times in the past I have had a computer go belly up and instead of putting money into an older computer I bought a new one. After I got it home and set up to use I start looking for updated drivers for my printer, scanner, etc. Drivers for the new OS are not available because the device is out of production.

Think about it, why would Microsoft care if I download and install a malicious driver?

z31jaime

Sentinel and arc with usb also all my sdr stuff

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I don't believe this is about protecting people from malicious drivers. It is all about ensuring that you have to buy all new peripherals when you buy a new computer. Too many times in the past I have had a computer go belly up and instead of putting money into an older computer I bought a new one. After I got it home and set up to use I start looking for updated drivers for my printer, scanner, etc. Drivers for the new OS are not available because the device is out of production.

Think about it, why would Microsoft care if I download and install a malicious driver?

Why would Microsoft care, or want you to buy all new peripherals?

A malicious driver however, could compromise the security of the OS, and the corporations / users, using it, as well as our national security.

Webheadfred

I run Windows 10 in a Parallels environment on an iMac. When I installed Win10 home, I got all the scanner software running fine with the necessary drivers for the usb/serial, yada yada... The thing I never did was ACTIVATE Windows. It nagged me for a while and then stopped. It has a little "watermark" in the lower right but otherwise works fine. It'll never do a windows update since it's unactivated. This is perfect as I never want it updated. If I need the internet, I switch to Safari in an Apple window and do it there. RadioReference works perfectly in all the radio software.

Status
Not open for further replies.