780XLT - Limited Listening?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ykram57

Greetings, just unpacked my old 780XLT and it's unprogrammed right now. I'm in the GTA and I'm
wondering if there is anything left to listen to besides Air Traffic Control. I know TPS is gone, but I do
remember Fire and EMS being there. Are they encrypted now too?
Appreciate any info, thanks.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I have one, but I'm in the states. I wouldn't give mine up for nothing! :wink: 73, n9zas

Mark

Premium Subscriber
Own a 780HLT that has run almost 24/7 for VHF/UHF aircraft for 15 years solid and
still keeps on ticking.. Well built radios!

DaveH

I have an old 780 circa 2003 and it still works for Fleetnet (as Forts was saying) but analog only so no OPP; and whatever other analog conventional/systems are still out there. Still a great radio despite its increasing limitations.

Dave

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
The 780 is by far my favorite of any scanner that I've had. Great radio, too bad Uniden wouldn't do a retro model like that that supported P25 etc. However that being said, it does work great feeding audio to DSD+. Trunks OPP just fine (of course I have to keep the volume turned all the way down on the scanner) and let the PC handle the rest.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

slicerwizard

Many areas around the country aren't even on P25, so the 780 works great for those people with analog agencies. :wink: 73, n9zas
The OP specifically asked if he could monitor TFS and DAS with his 780, to which the answer is no, so why are you sending me yet another off topic reply?

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The OP specifically asked if he could monitor TFS and DAS with his 780, to which the answer is no, so why are you sending me yet another off topic reply?
ykram57 said TPS, no mention of DAS at all , whatever the hell that is. He also said nothing about P25 either , so No not off topic at all! 73, n9zas

mciupa

I think that ykram57 was looking for a location specific reply to which slicerwizard gave the best answer.

Fire and EMS (Department of Ambulance Service) are not monitor-able.

Thanks to all that replied. :)

ykram57

Yes, located in Toronto and wanted to know if Toronto Fire and EMS were still accessible. Thanks to all
for your responses. Still seems to be a popular radio in in some pockets.

motomeso

Premium Subscriber
Same here.

Analog channels and groups to the record port, digital through DSD via discriminator tap / separate souncard and then both through isolation transformers and a Y adapter into a second card and accessed via Proscan. The same could have been achieved via the repeat function of Virtual Audio Cable but it doesn't play nice on my virtual machine.

I use my 780 for Fleetnet. Audio is piped to DSD+ and it works just great.

Status
Not open for further replies.