• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TK-840 Programming Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

SB-Wi

Premium Subscriber
I'm trying to download the programming from a TK-840 and the software gets as far as block 3 to 12 then loses connection. The same setup worked fine for 2 other radios so I don't think it the computer or cable. I checked the ribbon cable ends from the head and they look fine. Any suggestions?

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
Tk-d840? The Dmr radio?

kd4efm Evans, sent using TapTALK on my HTC M9

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
KPG 49 I think. Make sure you clean the contacts, had issues with those at times.

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
Use a pencil eraser, and some rubbing alcohol, lightly buff each pad. Also, to my mind, you might have to use a slower PC, or laptop, and DOS. The waistband ones I think after version 2 would use the windows version. Version 1 needs dos, and a slow processor. imsmr

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
Coincidentally, I just had to (re)program a TK-880-1 and a TK-840-1 this evening. I have a WinXP machine here for these two radios and Motorola CDM series.

Man running the KPG-25D software in a DOS Box is a massive pain in the posterior. ;) I use an FTDI USB cable and have to reassign the automatic COM 5 the driver assigns to COM 2 so the software will connect.

SB-Wi

Premium Subscriber
Check Settings

After cleaning the contacts, swapping heads and boards, I determined the programming is stored in the board between the head and radio body with the mic connector. That didn't work so I tried another radio which worked previously and couldn't read it. It wouldn't write either so I checked the COM port settings and it was at 115,200 bps. Reset that to 9600 and Xon/Xoff which fixed the 2nd radio communication so went back to the 1st. Still couldn't read so gave up and wrote over what was in there. It must have gotten corrupted during one of the read failures or power cycles. Moral of the story: Check your COM port settings before troubleshooting further.

Status
Not open for further replies.