Lakewood joined the Encryption Bandwagon

Status
Not open for further replies.

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
I see that Lakewood PD joined the Encryption bandwagon. Seems a lot of radios are coming across encrypted. Bummer!

captaincraig44

Premium Subscriber
Pretty soon the entire west side of the metro area will be dark. Anyone have any word on if Denver will go dark when they go P25?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
Pretty soon the entire west side of the metro area will be dark. Anyone have any word on if Denver will go dark when they go P25?

Officially, "That has yet to be determined."

Now everything that follows is purely speculation on my part.

The signs are pointing towards it pretty much being a done deal. Denver's radio techs were heard talking about it back in 2014. At the time, they also mentioned that Lakewood would be doing it too. Obviously that has happened. The MARC users are going away one by one.

There was hopeful speculation that the media would be up in arms over Denver. That has not been the case since 2013. The media immediately gave up after Fort Collins. Estes Park got a minor mention in their local news. Westminster got no news coverage. Arvada got no news coverage. Aurora got no news coverage. Lakewood will probably follow suit. They have already settled on accepting press releases and statements from the PIO at face value.

Even if they did care, these departments clearly don't. We never had a fighting chance.

Kevin_N

You have one thing wrong. The reason the media is silent is that they are in bed with the agencies and get controlled access.

It's a great conspiracy.

Congrats to the pro encryption folks on here. Another tax payer funded secret police agency in league with the media to keep the general public in the dark. In the dark about being secret because hardly anyone was listening anyway and the media won't risk losing access, and in the dark about what's happening. But the public is safer, according to some police chiefs.

county

Premium Subscriber
Anyone know what Colorado law says about police agencies honoring requests for digital copy or transcript of dispatch audio? Is it covered under Open Records or something similar?

dougjgray

So does the phase 2 have better encryption ability? it seems that very little encryption occured on phase 1. It seems once they switch they go encrypted

this is the beginning of the end of scanning police in the greater Denver metro area. sadly we soon will have $600.00 door stops and the militarization of our local police will continue.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
So does the phase 2 have better encryption ability?

No. It is just a software upgrade with the APX series, rather than hardware AND software like the XTS is, if you did not purchase the hardware encryption module when you bought the radio..

Last edited:

dougjgray

Not neccisarily a door stop i got the dmr update for my 436 so i can listen to hospital tvs not working and toilet calls lol

Troop

this is the beginning of the end of scanning police in the greater Denver metro area. sadly we soon will have $600.00 door stops and the militarization of our local police will continue.

So do you think encrypted radio traffic will be different than non encrypted and encryption will promote "militarization"? Do you know what? It sucks that the "hobby" is fading away but that's taking it a tad far.

So do you think encrypted radio traffic will be different than non encrypted and encryption will promote "militarization"? Do you know what? It sucks that the "hobby" is fading away but that's taking it a tad far.

encryption is just another step toward the overall furtherance of militarization and federalization of local police under the 1033 program.

Last edited:

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
Folks, this thread is not the place to debate encryption!

KD0DUJ

The closest agencies that still in the clear that is close to Lakewood are Denver Wheat Ridge Golden and Jefferson County Sheriff

snoopyII

encryption is just another step toward the overall furtherance of militarization and federalization of local police under the 1033 program.

HUH?...1033 deals with disposal of military surplus to state and local law enforcement. It has nothing to do with federalizing any agency. It in no way puts LPD, CSP or anybody under federal control.

greenthumb

Colorado DB Administrator
Database Admin
Okay, so for DB updating purposes, do we agree to change the whole Lakewood PD section to encrypted?

Kevin_N

One more quick comment.

I agree it's probably not as bad as that, but one point to make is that no one can know what an agency is up to now.

If nothing else it's bad policy to be that secretive. Some agencies agree and don't fully encrypt. A little oversight for something as important as law enforcement isn't a bad thing.

I want to still have respect for these agencies, but this doesn't make it easy.

But again, since there are no consequences for them doing that, there's nothing that can be done. There are a couple of guys trying in Arkansas, but we'll see.

It's only because not enough people care and the media won't risk doing a story. Just imagine if the government said people have to give up their Facebook. There would be riots.

Last edited:
HUH?...1033 deals with disposal of military surplus to state and local law enforcement. It has nothing to do with federalizing any agency. It in no way puts LPD, CSP or anybody under federal control.

***SIGH***

all i have to say is facepalm and see the big picture of the direction it is heading in.

they are not federalized yet, but they are taking the baby steps toward that goal. it could take another decade but it's coming.

yotebuster

Premium Subscriber
I spoke with a Lakewood PD Agent, he told me the biggest reason they chose to go full encryption was because of the smartphone scanner apps. He said that technology opened the door to EVERYONE listening to their radio traffic. I think the beginning of the end was the Live Feeds and those same feeds being used by app designers to create a way for people to use to get the upper hand on law enforcement. Not a lot of people can afford a $300-$500 receiver, but everyone has a smartphone and a buck or two for a police scanner app. I will go out on a limb and say, in hindsight, maybe having a Live Feed was just a bad idea.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
I spoke with a Lakewood PD Agent, he told me the biggest reason they chose to go full encryption was because of the smartphone scanner apps. He said that technology opened the door to EVERYONE listening to their radio traffic. I think the beginning of the end was the Live Feeds and those same feeds being used by app designers to create a way for people to use to get the upper hand on law enforcement. Not a lot of people can afford a $300-$500 receiver, but everyone has a smartphone and a buck or two for a police scanner app. I will go out on a limb and say, in hindsight, maybe having a Live Feed was just a bad idea.

Within the last year or 2 I remember hearing Lakewood pursue a Code 5 vehicle at a low rate of speed throughout town. As I recall it was a fairly long pursuit, and the driver had his phone to his ear for quite a while. They were convinced he was listening to them (which IMO was unlikely, but perhaps possible). :(

Status
Not open for further replies.