Next Thing Company C.H.I.P.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dxr

Premium Subscriber
Anyone successful using one of these $9 computers to feed live audio to broadcastify? If so what software did you use? I've tried using darkice without success so far...

nated1992

Anyone successful using one of these $9 computers to feed live audio to broadcastify? If so what software did you use? I've tried using darkice without success so far...

yes it works, check some of the other related post. "Most people us Pi Micro Computers but it should be the same concept"
I think one of them even gives a reasonable tutorial on setting it up

What linux version does chip use?

dxr

Premium Subscriber
Just for clarification... what works? I'm specifically asking about the CHIP computer. I've used Darkice with ubuntu on a pc in the past which worked well. I'm hoping to find someone who's actually using the CHIP to feed audio. My understanding is CHIP uses a stripped down version of debian.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
According to their site, they don't go into production until October, 2016.

dxr

Premium Subscriber
I received two of them a couple of weeks ago that I ordered months ago. Figured maybe someone else had ordered some during the same timeframe. Really inexpensive feed computer if I can get it to work...

DC31

Feed Provider
I received two of them a couple of weeks ago that I ordered months ago. Figured maybe someone else had ordered some during the same timeframe. Really inexpensive feed computer if I can get it to work...

I have a couple on order to play with. For the price, i couldn't resist. They come with sound input and output, wifi, and bluetooth. And they run Debian, so I am hopeful that we can make it work. It may be a couple months before i get them.

dxr

Premium Subscriber
I have a couple on order to play with. For the price, i couldn't resist. They come with sound input and output, wifi, and bluetooth. And they run Debian, so I am hopeful that we can make it work. It may be a couple months before i get them.

Hopefully I'll have it working by then but not much time to play with it right now

DC31

Feed Provider
CHIP streaming

Mine arrived yesterday. They were ordered in early Aug. they are now advertising delivery for Christmas!

I had little trouble setting one up to stream from darkice. I am now only streaming to a local server but if that works, it should go to bcfy also.

I took mine out of the package, plugged it in, configured the wifi and installed darkice (sudo apt-get install darkice). Then set up a configuration file using the source plughw:1,0 since i am using a usb sound card.

That was about it. I did not flash any other OS, simply used what came on the board.

A pretty cheap streaming unit. $9 for the board, probably another $9 shipping, a $4 usb sound card, a 5v power supply and a couple cables. $30-35 total.

Using the on board sound input is more complicated than expected so that is yet to be attempted.

PS i forgot the usb hub. Another $5 or so

Last edited:

DC31

Feed Provider
Mine arrived yesterday. They were ordered in early Aug. they are now advertising delivery for Christmas!

I had little trouble setting one up to stream from darkice. I am now only streaming to a local server but if that works, it should go to bcfy also.

I took mine out of the package, plugged it in, configured the wifi and installed darkice (sudo apt-get install darkice). Then set up a configuration file using the source plughw:1,0 since i am using a usb sound card.

That was about it. I did not flash any other OS, simply used what came on the board.

A pretty cheap streaming unit. $9 for the board, probably another $9 shipping, a $4 usb sound card, a 5v power supply and a couple cables. $30-35 total.

Using the on board sound input is more complicated than expected so that is yet to be attempted.

PS i forgot the usb hub. Another $5 or so

Just a brief update this morning. I found a TRRS splitter/adapter on line that would allow me to connect my audio in to the TRRS jack on the chip. So i took the plunge and followed their instructions regarding cutting a circuit board trace and soldering to the mic pad on the circuit board. Worked perfectly. Now i can stream using the on-board sound card and eliminate the usb card and usb hub. A very compact and cheap little streamer. It streams fine to bcfy.

I found that one usb sound card that i had worked fine plugged directly into chip. However, a second one drew too much power and immediately crashed the unit when plugged in directly.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01I5MYQDQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

dxr

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the updates. Will try again as soon as I have some time. plughw:1.0 doesn't seem familiar from my attempt months ago so that seems promising...

Status
Not open for further replies.