Milton tower

Status
Not open for further replies.

pngoat

Premium Subscriber
Is the Milton tower operational? Since the WSP went back to WISCOM I can pick up the Deerfield, Baraboo,
Blue Mounds, Madison Van Hise, and, Madison 800 towers. In the past I was able to pick up the Milton tower clearly, but, now nothing. I have all the frequencies entered, for the Milton tower, as per the RRDB as well as the talk groups for the southwest region of the WSP. Any info or help appreciated. Thank You.

KC9UNK

Milton Tower

As far as I can tell the Milton Tower is active. They did some overhauling with that tower and also the tower in Beloit. My signals average about 80% out of 115% but I'm not using a scanner. I'm linked into Wiscom itself using a Motorola APX6000

w9bsd

Yes, it's up. I was monitoring it for several hours on Saturday. State patrol is the biggest user right now, but I also heard the Rock County boat patrol up on 54391.

KC9UNK

Milton Tower

Rock boats that's a normal thing. All counties have a simulcast linked into Wiscom to where you can hear them on Wiscom even if their not actually on Wiscom. The boats you heard are actually on 159.090 Nac540.

w9bsd

The traffic on WISCOM was native, not a patch. It definitely wasn't dispatch traffic from their conventional channel. The TG is in RRDB as "Rock River Safety Patrol".

KC9UNK

Milton Tower

I live in the county and have a regular contact who works for gencom. It was a patch. Not a single agency in Rock Co uses Wiscom. Except for testing when their required to. All counties have a patch running 24/7 I can link into any county in the state from my basement because of it. I guess you have to have an actually trunking radio and not a scanner to understand what I'm talking about.

KC9UNK

Unless it was the DNR type agency on talkgroup but rock county definitely doesn't use it. Rock County sheriff's patrol that area but they use 159.090 also so it could have DNR you were hearing but definitely not a county agency

box23

As far as I can tell the Milton Tower is active. They did some overhauling with that tower and also the tower in Beloit. My signals average about 80% out of 115% but I'm not using a scanner. I'm linked into Wiscom itself using a Motorola APX6000

Is it, or is it not? Although there are a couple oddball states a site can be in, it is either online broadcasting a valid control channel data stream, accepting affiliations, and broadcasting active talkgroup traffic, or it is not. Since you appear to be an authorized user it is very easy to tell depending on how your radio is programmed. Judging by your mention of signal level I am assuming it is programmed properly with a button configured to display the site and RSSI. Are you able to affiliate with site 1-010 (1-A in hex)?

I assume by 80-115% you are actually referring to the RSSI readout on the APX display. On the APX series this value is actually unit-less and is really an arbitrary value. However, I have seen a chart that experimentally correlated the APX RSSI values to an actual signal strength in dBm.

I live in the county and have a regular contact who works for gencom. It was a patch. Not a single agency in Rock Co uses Wiscom. Except for testing when their required to. All counties have a patch running 24/7 I can link into any county in the state from my basement because of it. I guess you have to have an actually trunking radio and not a scanner to understand what I'm talking about.

Every county in the state does not have a 24/7 patch to WISCOM. A majority do, but such a blanket statement is misinformed. Even though scan talkgroups exist for each county, not all are patched to them. I know for a fact my County's scan talkgroup is not being used. As for the others, at least in this part of the State, they all appear to have disappeared a while back.

Also, that statement that you can "link" into any County in the State is eroding the belief your APX is legitimately on the system. And if you are actually able to access a couple of the main law dispatch talkgroups for counties around here I believe we have a major problem.

box23

The traffic on WISCOM was native, not a patch. It definitely wasn't dispatch traffic from their conventional channel. The TG is in RRDB as "Rock River Safety Patrol".

How did you determine the traffic was native? There are a number of ways to confirm this, I'm just curious how you did it.

KC9UNK

Milton Tower

There's one in every crowd..lol I'm not caring to jump a chest bumping match on who has what or how but my equipment is legit.
Good day to you.
Only reason I chimed in is because no agency in Rock is directly using Wiscom. (except state patrol of course)

Tim

Feed Provider
Greetings....

I don't usually get involved in instances when there is a potential flame war brewing (Especially when I don't live in that county), but one of my contacts who is involved in the Rock River Safety Patrol states they do in fact have a WISCOM talkgroup assigned to them. It is NOT a patch, as it is native to only WISCOM. It is used for more of a member to member chit-chat channel since they are generally dispatched on RCSO's "Main" or sometimes appear on JeffCo channels. Keep in mind, RRSP is a multi-jurisdictional agency.

Tim

KC9UNK

Milton Tower

So i was right about them being an "outside" agency. I was right about patrols being dispatched on Rock main and that there's no agency(meaning rock sheriffs,JPD,BPD) that strictly use Wiscom like I previously stated. The other gentlemen was indeed right about it being native so I do apologize for that. I didnt know RRSP covered more then one county so that's something new I learned. I thought that were per-sa a branch off of the DNR. Thanks for the info.

w9bsd

How did you determine the traffic was native? There are a number of ways to confirm this, I'm just curious how you did it.

I was watching the control channel traffic in Unitrunker. It's generally pretty easy to make an educated guess just by watching the radio IDs on the scanner, but when I've got my laptop with me I've been logging everything in Unitrunker as well.

w9bsd

Greetings....

I don't usually get involved in instances when there is a potential flame war brewing (Especially when I don't live in that county), but one of my contacts who is involved in the Rock River Safety Patrol states they do in fact have a WISCOM talkgroup assigned to them. It is NOT a patch, as it is native to only WISCOM. It is used for more of a member to member chit-chat channel since they are generally dispatched on RCSO's "Main" or sometimes appear on JeffCo channels. Keep in mind, RRSP is a multi-jurisdictional agency.

Tim

Thanks for the info, Tim!

MarcusDude

Premium Subscriber
There are many local agencies that have WISCOM talkgroups assigned, that only use them sporadically, if at all. Some don't even have them programmed into their radios, or have radios capable of operating on them yet.

According to the records I have compiled over the years, TG 54391 is listed as "RORRSP (Rock River Safety Patrol)". If ROSO has a patch from 159.090 to WISCOM, it should be on TG 54001, or it could be part of ROSCAN, TG 54010.

hrfireman

You all talk about hearing WSP Traffic, however I see no frequencies listed. If I go to Janesville i can hear some traffic. I live in Roscoe so I'm on the outskirts of the Milton tower I believe.. What are the frequencies you are listening too? I do have an outside antenna. Also what is the Beloit SWEF93 tower? If anyone has any info could you please share? I have everything in from RR and numerous other sites and can get nothing.

KC9UNK

You all talk about hearing WSP Traffic, however I see no frequencies listed. If I go to Janesville i can hear some traffic. I live in Roscoe so I'm on the outskirts of the Milton tower I believe.. What are the frequencies you are listening too? I do have an outside antenna. Also what is the Beloit SWEF93 tower? If anyone has any info could you please share? I have everything in from RR and numerous other sites and can get nothing.

The Beloit site 93 tower you should be able to get traffic from. 138.2725. I get full signal

Status
Not open for further replies.