ADSB and USB Extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

737mech

Premium Subscriber
I have had many years of success with monoprice usb extender (active usb repeater cable) but after a recent windows 10 update I'm having problems. I run ADSB# and it never sees the rtl dongle unless I plug directly into the pc with the rtl dongle. The extension cord is needed to get up high on the roof to the antenna. I have tried other dongles (rtl-sdr silver, flightaware orange, ezcap dvb-t2) and a new extender cord. I have checked power options for device manager to keep usb powered no sleep. I have run ZADIG several times. I'm running out of options. Best guess the rtl dongle installed now (rtl-sdr silver) needs more power so i'm going to try a usb y cable same voltage more capacity. Also sdr does not see it says, " rtl cannot be opened is the device locked somewhere?" It has everything to do with the extender cord I think? Tried compatibility run as well as administrator.

Any other opinions on what to try? Not liking windows 10 all that much...

737mech

Premium Subscriber
I went back to win 7 no joy there has to be something else going on? Today I tried a y cable two usb to one female basically same volts more capacity. No joy? I can't get any dongle to work with adsb# on the extension cords? I have my old one and a brand new one. What changed I have no idea but I'm willing to try any ideas you guys might have?

737mech

Premium Subscriber
Fixed it

I figured it out, the usb extension is just too long, that's why they put a dc jack on the other end. So I'll add a 5 volt power supply out there and I'll be back to enjoying VRS with the new RTL SDR Silver dongle. I verified this fix with a spare usb extension cord I have. Works every time with 5v at the other end.

Status
Not open for further replies.