• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

IC-F4161s: Won't read radio...Help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duster

Supposedly Retired...
Database Admin
Hello all,

I recently purchased an IC-F4161S 450-512 split HT from the premier online shopping site that shall remain nameless. I purchased a Prolific USB cable for the radio.

- I have the CS-F3161_5060 software for this radio, revision 5.2.

- The firmware on the radio is 5.2. There is no DREV listed.

When I try to read, write, or inquire the radio, I get "No answer from transceiver".

I have confirmed that the COM port is correct (4) and is being recognized by the computer.

The computer is an older Windows XP machine (I initially tried my WIN7Pro Toughbook, until I read that the Prolific cable doesn't work with 64bit systems).

Can anyone help me diagnose why this radio won't talk to the computer? This is my first ICOM. Do ICOM's have to be put into a programming mode? I just learned about the keypress combination to find the firmware revision. Are there other keypress combos that I can use? Any programming help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Duster (David)

KC2TLH

Premium Subscriber
Hello all,

I recently purchased an IC-F4161S 450-512 split HT from the premier online shopping site that shall remain nameless. I purchased a Prolific USB cable for the radio.

- I have the CS-F3161_5060 software for this radio, revision 5.2.

- The firmware on the radio is 5.2. There is no DREV listed.

When I try to read, write, or inquire the radio, I get "No answer from transceiver".

I have confirmed that the COM port is correct (4) and is being recognized by the computer.

The computer is an older Windows XP machine (I initially tried my WIN7Pro Toughbook, until I read that the Prolific cable doesn't work with 64bit systems).

Can anyone help me diagnose why this radio won't talk to the computer? This is my first ICOM. Do ICOM's have to be put into a programming mode? I just learned about the keypress combination to find the firmware revision. Are there other keypress combos that I can use? Any programming help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Duster (David)

The Prolific cable is not going to work either way no matter what. Get the real cloning cable.

Duster

Supposedly Retired...
Database Admin
I would much prefer a "real" cable with a serial port connector, but the only ones I can find are $115 per cable...that's a little steep for my taste for a cable that only works with one radio that I own.

Do you have any insight where I can find a proper cable for a reasonable price?

I am seeing people on here talking about using the Prolific cable and having no problems. I'm not disputing what you're saying, because I hate the Chinese crap too, but saying it will "never work" is a little...final.

Thanks for your info!

KC2TLH

Premium Subscriber
I would much prefer a "real" cable with a serial port connector, but the only ones I can find are $115 per cable...that's a little steep for my taste for a cable that only works with one radio that I own.

Do you have any insight where I can find a proper cable for a reasonable price?

I am seeing people on here talking about using the Prolific cable and having no problems. I'm not disputing what you're saying, because I hate the Chinese crap too, but saying it will "never work" is a little...final.

Thanks for your info!

I admit they are a bit pricey. But that is to be expected if you want to go pro. If you want to waste your time making the Prolific work (and in all likelihood it will not) that is up to you. I'd rather pay up and have it work the first time than waste alot of time and effort trying to make a copy work. If you decide later to sell the radio you can always recoup part of your expense by selling it as part of a package deal. Also the proper programming cable for that radio is USB. I don't believe the serial version will work with that radio. As for getting one well expect to pay through the nose for the real deal. It's like buying tools at Harbor Freight. Yes it will work but for how long, or how well. Go Craftsman, or SnapOn and save yourself the aggravation.

Also another thing to keep in mind when buying Chinese stuff.They love loading up their driver, and software disks with all sorts of nasties (think malware, keyloggers,etc.). Bought one of those bore inspection cameras from a well known Chinese site, and the driver CD was loaded with bad stuff. Luckily when I get stuff from an "unknown" source I run a file scan on it, and have set up Windows to never autoplay CD's, and DVD's.

Just my two cents...

rabrol

Premium Subscriber
I've had no problem with Prolific cables for 4161s. I've bought several from the aforementioned site that communicate fine with a Windows 10 laptop. Hopefully the one you ordered now will work for you.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00A using Tapatalk

Cognomen

Your Icom does not have to be put into programming mode.

I run a $17 Chinese serial programming cable with my 3161/4161's. No drivers needed. Win7 64-bit on a Toughbook CF-30, and Win10 64-bit on an Intel motherboard desktop.

KC2TLH: I did not know that the Chinese discs could contain malware etc. Thanks for the warning.

Status
Not open for further replies.