Weighing in on the TRX-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

set41249

I have received TWO TRX-1 scanners. The first was defective and I returned it and received a second one that had no defects. The first had a stuck left arrow button. I have since returned the second as it is in my humble opinion way over-priced and is a lot more difficult to operate (try lowering the volume in a moving car without taking your eyes off the road) Oh, BTW, the analog knob on top is a SQUELCH control only! No way to change it to something useful (eg: Volume Control) via software. A BIG PROBLEM, since the squelch is almost always set then forgotten, and if you're monitoring trunked systems or systems that use CTCSS or DCS it can be pretty much forgotten about.

It is very easy to program, once you figure out the software, which is quite easy to grasp. Additionally, the radio has great audio, once it did receive signals from a local and VERY close P-25 system. As I previously stated, the radio is WAY over-priced (I paid $546.00) You can buy a Uniden BCD325p2 for $150.00 less and it is a better radio and a greater value for the money. While it can't do Motrobo or DMR it can do P-25 single and two-slot TDMA which is mostly what I need here in Northern (Union County) NJ.
Programming is easy using BuTel ARC software and...There's even a KNOB (multifunction) right on top for Volume, squelch and MORE! Additionally the Whistler missed more than 50% of the calls on my local P-25 TRS that a Uniden BCD325p2 sitting 12 inches away was able to receive. I'm sorry to say that my brief dive into whistler was a dive indeed, and unless they offer something better I'll stick with Uniden.
Steve Thorpe

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
You might consider the WS 1080. It does the same as the TRX-1 for about half the price. It's the only handheld scanner I could ethically recommend someone at the moment, unless they need ProVoice support. I bet you could find a good deal at Ham Station or others.

I agree regarding the volume. Though I mostly would prefer a mute button.

I use the squelch ALL the time. And it certainly modifies how the scanner handles trunked systems (notably, leave it all the way down for digital only trunking).

I'm not into different camps or silly stuff like that, but if you want a scanner with a good price and feature packed, the WS1080 is pretty nice. After awhile, I'm confident you would get used to the user interface for the scanner.

Digital system reception can be really hit or miss. It is location and system dependent. For instance, my WS1080 and BCD536HP are right next to each other. One does better on one system, meanwhile the BCD blows the Whistler away on another system.

I don't care what hardware you use as long as you are able to accomplish your goals. However, Whistler does offer a product or two at a reasonable price that will help a lot of folks achieve what they are looking to do.

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

I think the OP will find problems with the WS-1080 as it uses a similar control layout. It might be worse given the WS-1080 does not have a full keyboard.

73 Eric

detroit780

Silent Key
Database Admin
TRX-1 Volume

Isn't volume like the PSR-800? Arrow up and arrow down. I think it is a simple 1 handed operation in that case. Driving down the road not looking at the scanner holding it in one hand the arrow pad is easy to feel for up to increase volume down to decrease volume. I adjust the PSR-800 volume like this all the time.

I have received TWO TRX-1 scanners. The first was defective and I returned it and received a second one that had no defects. The first had a stuck left arrow button. I have since returned the second as it is in my humble opinion way over-priced and is a lot more difficult to operate (try lowering the volume in a moving car without taking your eyes off the road) Oh, BTW, the analog knob on top is a SQUELCH control only! No way to change it to something useful (eg: Volume Control) via software. A BIG PROBLEM, since the squelch is almost always set then forgotten, and if you're monitoring trunked systems or systems that use CTCSS or DCS it can be pretty much forgotten about.

It is very easy to program, once you figure out the software, which is quite easy to grasp. Additionally, the radio has great audio, once it did receive signals from a local and VERY close P-25 system. As I previously stated, the radio is WAY over-priced (I paid $546.00) You can buy a Uniden BCD325p2 for $150.00 less and it is a better radio and a greater value for the money. While it can't do Motrobo or DMR it can do P-25 single and two-slot TDMA which is mostly what I need here in Northern (Union County) NJ.
Programming is easy using BuTel ARC software and...There's even a KNOB (multifunction) right on top for Volume, squelch and MORE! Additionally the Whistler missed more than 50% of the calls on my local P-25 TRS that a Uniden BCD325p2 sitting 12 inches away was able to receive. I'm sorry to say that my brief dive into whistler was a dive indeed, and unless they offer something better I'll stick with Uniden.
Steve Thorpe

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Something else to keep in mind re the TRX-1 (and it's brother, the TRX-2); if you are interested in NXDN then these 2 radios will, in the future (we don't know precisely when) support it. As of this point, none of the other Whistler - or other scanners - will have this capability, when it arrives. Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Whistler doesn't have ProVoice - yet. AFAIK only the Unidens do, at this point. Mike

D

darunimal

When did Whistler add PROVOICE? They have not said anything about PROVOICE they said NXDN for the TRX-x by the 1st of the year. Uniden 436 536 is the only PROVOICE scanner.

You might consider the WS 1080. It does the same as the TRX-1 for about half the price. It's the only handheld scanner I could ethically recommend someone at the moment, unless they need ProVoice support.
I don't care what hardware you use as long as you are able to accomplish your goals. However, Whistler does offer a product or two at a reasonable price that will help a lot of folks achieve what they are looking to do.

Unless "they": the User, needs Pro-Voice, then he'd have to recommend the BCDx36HP Series!

Last edited:

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
I think the OP does have a point about doing the volume on the road, especially if there is no active call. Unlike a knob, where you can feel and judge the position, with the button action, you have a lot less information. You would have to remember your current setting and change the volume one button click at a time, keeping track of the new setting, hoping that each button press correlated to a change in volume. Without diverting attention to the display, there's no reliable way to see your current setting.

For instance, when I need to adjust the squelch, it is easy to turn it all the way down and then rotate where I want it. (Sure you can turn the volume all the way down and then go from there too, but the problem of not having a physical marker still remains).

I agree that a WS1080 or any Whistler product will frustrate the OP for awhile, but I hope he will consider it. I don't want him to miss out on a whole collection of tools merely due to comfort. On the other hand, if his current scanners do everything he needs and wants, I suppose there is no point to pick up something new.

scotttish

My TRX-1

I received my TRX-1 about 2.5 weeks ago. I immediately realized that my AOR and my Alinco handhelds were receiving area police/fire, while the TRX-1 was barely getting them, or not at all...I tried six different BNC antennas, moving them around, indoor, outdoor, etc. That didn't help much. I am now going to try to exchange my with Whistler, and give it another shot. Hopefully we will still be able to listen to our public safety as many of them are going "encrypted" and such. The folks at Whistler have been great and I believe that the TRX-1 has great potential.

AggieCon

Premium Subscriber
Before you ship it back, want another set of eyes to look at what you are trying to accomplish?

Comp-100

.... As of this point, none of the other Whistler - or other scanners - will have this capability, when it arrives. Mike

Makes little sense since since we don't know "when it arrives" ... "will have this capability"; so it's pointless to say as of today x is fact whenever y occurs.

At this time, no other trunking scanner manufacturer has announced any possible future availability for NXDN.

Comp-100

Isn't volume like the PSR-800? Arrow up and arrow down. I think it is a simple 1 handed operation in that case. Driving down the road not looking at the scanner holding it in one hand the arrow pad is easy to feel for up to increase volume down to decrease volume. I adjust the PSR-800 volume like this all the time.

If you are driving the scanner may not be in your hand.... it's not as easy as a rotating control located on top of the radio.

kikito

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, I hate it every time I switch cars, I get confused when the shifter is sometimes on the console between the seats and when is next to the steering wheel. For that I blame one of the auto makers. /sarcasm :roll:

SCPD

QRT
When did Whistler add PROVOICE? They have not said anything about PROVOICE they said NXDN for the TRX-x by the 1st of the year. Uniden 436 536 is the only PROVOICE scanner.

Because ProVoice is slowing fading away with maybe 20 big installation
Canada and US

Comp-100

Yeah, I hate it every time I switch cars, I get confused when the shifter is sometimes on the console between the seats and when is next to the steering wheel. For that I blame one of the auto makers. /sarcasm :roll:
They didn't say anything about forgetting where the control was, they said it was a pain in the a**. I'm not necessarily completely agreeing with the OP, but i see their point.

scannersnstuff

when driving, driving should be the number one priority. not fiddling with your fm radio knob's,scanner knob's, or significant other's knob/knob's. if you have to do these thing's,just pull over.

A PUBLIC SERVICE ADVISORY .

scotttish

Now after several weeks use of my TRX-1, and after exchanging my first one for another new one, I have determined that unless you use an antenna pre-amplifier, the TRX-1 is not for anyone that lives more than 20 miles outside of a major city. The reception, compared to my other scanners is less and with more static. My AOR handheld brings the signals in the best. The TRX-1 is nice if you live close to the towers but without an antenna pre-amp, my TRX-1 is very, very silent...

Status
Not open for further replies.