Can we now monitor MOT Turbo with Encryption?

Status
Not open for further replies.

powderchaser

My local Motorola service shop said there was a new scanner that can scan the codes in MO Turbo with Encryption. Is this true? I am still looking to be able to monitor my local Ski Patrol and hope you can lead me to a portable device?

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
If your ski patrol is using encryption then no. Sorry. 73, n9zas

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
My local Motorola service shop said there was a new scanner that can scan the codes in MO Turbo with Encryption. Is this true? I am still looking to be able to monitor my local Ski Patrol and hope you can lead me to a portable device?

As with all the previous times you have asked.... No.

There are no scanners that will monitor encrypted transmissions. If your Motorola shop actually told you that, they are having a good laugh at your expense.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Decrypting encrypted radio traffic that is not intended for your use is illegal. You won't find a consumer scanner that will decode encrypted traffic.

There are scanners that will follow MotoTrbo and DMR traffic.

com501

And there are off the shelf scanners that will decode basic Moto encryption, find them on your own, they ARE illegal to use.

This is why OUR ski patrol teams (and all other customers) use enhanced encryption.

gewecke

Banned
And there are off the shelf scanners that will decode basic Moto encryption, find them on your own, they ARE illegal to use.

This is why OUR ski patrol teams (and all other customers) use enhanced encryption.
. Care to share with us WHAT scanners you're referring to? Model numbers please? Its illegal for any consumer scanners to decrypt any encrypted signals in the U.S. so I'm certain you're mistaken. 73, n9zas

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
I think the guys at the shop were confused with the new upgrades to the Uniden scanners and the new Whistlers which will decode MOTOtrbo but not encryption.

Motorola has been selling MOTOtrbo like an encrypted system / feature because there wasn't a scanner that could decode it. The same thing was done to sell ProVoice.

I remember back when trunking systems came about everyone said it couldn't be received on a scanner but the scanner industry stepped up.

gewecke

Banned
Yeah, I thought it was something like that, but you never know. It's a constant R&D session anymore to keep up with the latest and greatest innovations. I thought maybe I was behind again. :). 73, n9zas

n1das

Uh...NO. If such "illegal" scanners actually exist, they would not be available off the shelf in the USA.

I think somebody is confusing digital modulation with encryption.

gewecke

Banned
Actually com501 IS correct.

Nope he is not. There actually is a receiver that will, decode basic privacy . Basic privacy is more like PL than actual encryption.
. So you're talking about a receiver and Not a scanner, Correct? Care to share a Make & Model number please? 73, n9zas

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
. So you're talking about a receiver and Not a scanner, Correct? Care to share a Make & Model number please? 73, n9zas

The clues are in my reply. Google is your friend. It's not a scanner in the sense of a BCD-436 type commercially mass produced crap. It scans, when programmed, and will operate, once programmed, with out needing a computer.

gewecke

Banned
The clues are in my reply. Google is your friend. It's not a scanner in the sense of a BCD-436 type commercially mass produced crap. It scans, when programmed, and will operate, once programmed, with out needing a computer.
Ok, we get the fact that you don't like scanners ok, but all I asked was a simple question. Do you have a Make & Model for your mysterious anti- encryption radio? No cloak & dagger nonsense please. Thanks. 73, n9zas

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
You could also just pick up a Motorola radio and try all 255 possible basic keys until you hit the correct one... Anyone using basic privacy is just being lazy or is using a basic tier (CP200d) radio.

gewecke

Banned
Thank you for providing a straight answer to what I "thought" was a simple question. :wink: 73, n9zas

n1das

The ADCR25 will decode Moto basic privacy (ADCR25_PRO2. APCO25/ DMR/NXDN(IDAS/NEXEDGE)/YAESU FUSION RECEIVER. Unit price $179.95. Free shipping WORLDWIDE! - 6). As mentioned many times there are no scanners that do. Whether or not basic privacy is considered encryption has been a topic of many debates (to me it is, just in it's simplest form) but many don't consider it to be.

If enhanced privacy (or anything other than Motorola... Hytera etc) is being used then you are out of luck.

Interesting. Do you know the FCC ID and Industry Canada (IC) ID for it?? It doesn't have any from what I can tell and therefore won't be available and for sale legally in the USA. Where do I click on the web page to place my order and pay using PayPal??

I had forgotten about how MOTOTRBO's basic ENC is so weak (only 255 key values). Basic ENC in Hytera DMR radios gives you a choice of key lengths of 40 bits (10 hexadecimal digits), 128 bits (32 hex digits), or 256 bits (64 hex digits). Hytera enhanced ENC gives you some additional options. IIRC, enhanced ENC in a MOTOTRBO radio is compatible with Hytera basic ENC with a 40-bit key (10 hex digits).

I own a few Hytera DMR radios and they have Hytera basic ENC capability. A 256 bit ENC key (64 hex digits) is more than strong enough for my purposes.

Have fun! :)

slicerwizard

Interesting. Do you know the FCC ID and Industry Canada (IC) ID for it?? It doesn't have any from what I can tell and therefore won't be available and for sale legally in the USA. Where do I click on the web page to place my order and pay using PayPal??
Like we care about any of that.

I had forgotten about how MOTOTRBO's basic ENC is so weak (only 255 key values). Basic ENC in Hytera DMR radios gives you a choice of key lengths of 40 bits (10 hexadecimal digits), 128 bits (32 hex digits), or 256 bits (64 hex digits).
And they're all crap.

Hytera enhanced ENC gives you some additional options. IIRC, enhanced ENC in a MOTOTRBO radio is compatible with Hytera basic ENC with a 40-bit key (10 hex digits).
You recall wrong.

I own a few Hytera DMR radios and they have Hytera basic ENC capability. A 256 bit ENC key (64 hex digits) is more than strong enough for my purposes.
You keep thinking that... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.