registering out side of USA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jb_tas

Hi all
I live outside usa and have purchased both the bcd*36hp models and cant create and account with uniden usa to buy the provoice and dmr keys.
it tells me I have to enter state zip and ph none of which are recognised if I use my correct information.
can anybody help?
Thanks

gary123

There was no troubles from Canada. Worst case you can use any postal code for the USA.

Last edited:

gary123

I cant make any suggestions maybe try emailing uniden service and ask what they can suggest?

Air490

You need to go to MyUS or a similar site and register for a US postal address. Once you have done that you can use this as the address for Uniden. From previous experience the Uniden site doesn't seem to care where your card is from, but that may have changed. It has been while since I updated a scanner directly from them.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Use any zip code to register. It is theoretically just used for marketing purposes.

jb_tas

I did send a email to Uniden USA and the reply was that they do not deal with cards issued from outside of the USA.
Something about fraud from something ?
So im still banging my head against a wall.
I simply want to register it for warranty and upgrades ect
Uniden Australia don't want to know about it because I bought it from the USA and not them.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
See my reply right above yours regarding registration.

Also note that warranty is only preserved through proof-of-purchase. Registering the scanner on the web site does nothing regarding warranty (this is true of any product you purchase anywhere...always keep your receipt).

gary123

Use any zip code to register. It is theoretically just used for marketing purposes.

If you have a "legit" zip code use it. If not....

To make it real easy for anyone facing this issue. You can use a zip of 90210 (yes from the the TV show of the same name) for use in registering for the DMR/Provoice upgrade.

DO NOT USE this for items like warranty claims, repairs or purchasing equipment. Uniden like all suppliers needs accurate information to verify the hardware source and owners information in order to properly track defects as well as select the proper repair depot. This information is also used to ship the unit back.

Spain-73

One more question for european owners

Good Morning
this is tony from Madrid, Spain
I bouth the 536 via Amazon, no problem. Now I want to purchase the DMR upgrade from Uniden and I'm dealing with the foreign credit cards affairs. I understand that, if I register as described in previous posts, it will let me use my Spanish card, once I have used a US zip code. Please confirm if this is it.
Thanks in advance.
BTW UPMAN, Great Scanner you have produced... any possible TETRA decoding some day?

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
No. Our credit card verification agency does not approve most non-US/Canada issued cards. Both Ham Station and ScannerMaster offer a service to get a key through them.

gary123

Tetra is a totally different format. NXDN would be the next logical choice since it uses the same codec.

jb_tas

Thanks guys I can confirm that Ham station does handle the codec upgrades for us overseas owners, they only accept payment via western union which isn't a problem for most of us.
I must say that im extremely disappointed with this scanner as its pretty well useless here in Australia the many holes in the band are exactly where we want to be here, and the way its advertised as self learning, "huh" its only learning whats programed into the DB so useless out side of the usa, if you think its going to program itself, which is the way I interpreted the bull that comes from uniden, that was the only reason I bought both the hh and base models, I could go on and on with its short falls but that's for another post not here.

rustynswrail

You could go on and on but you would be wrong. The x36HP/PT's are anything but useless in Australia.

The gap in receive capabilities is largely limited to the 800 MHz, not so much an issue unless you are in Tasmania, (which I know you are). The remain 'holes' are bands of little consequence.

Like any piece of electronic equipment, you need to do your homework before purchasing and not rely on the sales pitch. Very easy to blame the equipment or some else when things don't go right or you misunderstand the rhetoric.

x36 series can be easily programmed for Australia, either using Sentinel or Butel. A degree of understand of scanning is all that is needed.

R

jb_tas

To many holes 4 me, the 800s is just 1 drop in the bucket of many holes in the NEW systems coming on line as I write.

rustynswrail

The ESCAD system

I have some bad news for you, NO scanner Australian, American or Calathumpian will resolve a CAD system. Depending on the system employed, there are some software packages that can resolve Mobitex.

But other CAD systems piggyback off the mobile phone network and employ a dictionary so unless you have access to that dictionary and network all you will get, assuming you can access and decode it, is random characters.

As far as CAD is concerned, build a bridge - get over it.

R

Valeriy

No. Our credit card verification agency does not approve most non-US/Canada issued cards. Both Ham Station and ScannerMaster offer a service to get a key through them.

From the FAQ on Scanner Master Blog | The Nation's Oldest and Largest Scanner Only Dealer

"Q: How do I do the update?
[...]
Easy way: Just send the radio to us and we will do all this for you and return the radio to you.
Fill out the form at (insert link to form) and send it and the radio to us and a little while later you will get it back ready
to go with the DMR Update installed."

It looks like that "just sending the radio to them" from overseas is considered a very reasonable method...
No comment.
And no, I don't even bother to check out Hamstation.
At present I do not know yet when I'll be able to afford a true DMR-capable scanner, but I already know which brand NOT to choose again. :(
Regards.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.