• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

APX 6/7000 USB cannot read radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Running windows 10 64bit with oem usb cable for APX 6/7000. CPS is latest version. I have tried both radios and all the usb ports to no avail and get the could not find a radio connected to the usb port message. Anyone who had this issue before know the solution? I have looked around but not much on it. I have tried compatibility modes also and running as administrator to no avail. I also looked at the bluetooth option and the driver is installed for both in the blue tooth end but the blue tooth adapter does not show both radios which yes are enabled and have the blue tooth boards/flash option. Both are new radios running latest firmware direct from Motorola.

I will add when I connect the usb, then power on the radio, the pc does its device connected tone so I know the usb is connected and it gives no error. Does this for both. Just stumped. Thinking a driver issue or windows 10 is flakey with the APX. Not sure. Any one that knows it is greatly appreciated if your share your knowledge on the solution. Also it does not show anything under ports or anything in usb in device manager indicating the apx. Just under networks it gives the bluetooth adapter.

Bah, I went ahead and tried another machine and works fine on both units. I'll have to investigate further on the main machine. Both computers run same specs and not your low end machines either. Exact machines minus one with issue was fresh install with everything month back. I am leaning toward either drivers on that one or the ports are assigning invalid drivers. Not sure. Still would like thoughts if one has knowledge seeing it before.

Last edited:

cmdrwill

You need the driver for the cable to be linstalled first. The cable comes up, but computer can not find driver for the cable.

SCPD

QRT
Drivers exist. Looks like a re install process of the board drivers themself. Something isn't clicking somewhere. Since it all runs fine on the other it'll be a rainy day problem to play with on the one machine.

JASII

Memory Capacity
APX 7000 USB Cannot Read Radio

I am going through this exact issue right now. How did you resolve it?

riveter

Premium Subscriber
Also, just for anyone here to whom this may apply, the -A suffix programming cable can be problematic, ensure you've got a -B or -C cable.

N4KVE

Problematic as in doesn't work without modification.
Funny, I use my bone stock A cable for my XPR7550, & APX radio, & there's never been a problem. When my friend upgraded from his 6550, to his 7550, he was told the A cable would not work, so he purchased the B cable. I bought his A cable cheap, & he was amazed to see it worked on my 7550. He face palmed me saying he didn't need to buy the B cable. Got the APX, & the A cable worked there fine too. The cable was never modified, so I don't know why some people have problems with an A cable. I don't.

com501

The ground contact was moved on the B cable to reflect that there is no external antenna contact on the Gen II radios like the Gen I radios.

wmetech1

Premium Subscriber
I believe the only radio I've had issues with the A revision programming cable are APX 6000s. All others should work fine. If I recall correctly the issue was a floating ground, and the A revision cable can easily be modified to correct the issue and essentially make it a rev B cable.

Back to the original question, has this setup (cable, radio, computer) previously worked? My first guess would be to try uninstalling the USB drivers and reinstalling them from the latest version. Have you tried upgrading your CPS? APX R15.00.01 released just last week is the first release to officially support Windows 10.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Never had a problem with the a suffix cable on any of my APX's including an 8k.

I thought the reason for the C cable was the newer TRBO portables?

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Also, just for anyone here to whom this may apply, the -A suffix programming cable can be problematic, ensure you've got a -B or -C cable.

True, although the only radio I had issues with using the A revision cable was the APX4000 and APX1000 series radios. Had to move up to the B revision and have since mostly retired the A revision cable.

I'd be interested in hearing more about the modification; if it's something we can do here I can put the rev A cables back to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.