Ontario Weather Channels

Status
Not open for further replies.

bwjmackie

I'm in Kitchener attempting to listen to the Environment Canada weather reports and I cannot find them.

I've turned on Weather scanning in both my BCD396XT and BCD996XT and am getting no hits.

I've tried tuning directly to 162.550 MHz (source) and it's silent.

Am I doing something wrong?

DaveH

Can you normally hear more than one WX transmitter...are any of these active? Try some of the others, 162.400-162.550 every 25kHz.

Sometimes a TX goes down or goes flaky. I tried calling the toll-free number to report this once. Issue had been reported but it still took a while for them to fix.

Dave

bwjmackie

I'm doing a WX Scan on my 396 presently and it's totally silent. That should do it, right?

I can get the local fire/police trunking system just fine at strength 5.

FPOWLD

The NOAA frequency 162.550 is off the air do to telephone equipment problems here in Mich. also. NOAA does not have a "Fix" date so just keep checking every so often.

Jammin_Jay

I have actually heard NOAA announce on air that they will perform maintenance on such and such a date on the current tower. The automated voice will announce it when it reads the text.
I never hear environment Canada do this except announce every 5 mins in English and French , that if there is a problem with reception please call this 1-800 xxx xxxx. But that is a general thing, not specific like noaa weather.

alphaacres

Premium Subscriber
EC-ONTARIO

Also Canadian Coast Guard:
161.6500 WX Ch 8 CG Ch 21 English
161.7500 WX Ch 10 CG Ch 23 French
161.7750 WX Ch 9 CG CH 83 English

Last edited by a moderator:

slicerwizard

I'm in Kitchener attempting to listen to the Environment Canada weather reports and I cannot find them.

I've turned on Weather scanning in both my BCD396XT and BCD996XT and am getting no hits.

The 162.55 transmitter is 5.5 km SW of the University of Waterloo (St. Agatha area); assuming it's on the air, your reception depends on your distance from the site, your elevation and whether you're indoors (buildings attenuate VHF signals) and whether you've got the attenuator turned on and whether you're using a proper VHF antenna.

bwjmackie

It would seem that I am not receiving anything on any of the WX frequencies.

Here is a photo of my scanner in band scope mode:
iNr214I.jpg

Note: I can receive other systems and frequencies just fine, particularly Waterloo Region Public Safety and Fleetnet among others.

Last edited:

alphaacres

Premium Subscriber
Some area's are using FM Radio

Algonquin Park (FM) 100.1 MHz
Algonquin Park East (FM) 101.3 MHz
Algonquin Park West (FM) 101.3 MHz
Britt (FM) 102.5 MHz
Bruce Peninsula Park (FM) 90.7 MHz
Parry Sound (FM) 88.9 MHz

Last edited by a moderator:

mciupa

alphaacres, thanks for the additional information, however, the OP is really looking for local help in Southwestern Ontario. The FM Broadcast stations are in Central Ontario.

There are members out in Waterloo Region that may be able to chime in about this situation. :)

mciupa

Am I doing something wrong?

I saw from another post that you are using Freescan. I wonder if there is a bug in the program? I'm using the 2.18 Beta for the 996P2.

I used to be able to monitor 161.65 and 161.775 as part of WX Scan, but for some reason they are missing in WX Scan.

I can only monitor channels 1 to 7. 163.275 is also missing.

I can monitor them directly if I program them manually into a conv. group.

When I would upload, I'm pretty sure it would say there was one or two errors and I have to admit I ignored them. :roll:

I'll have to look over the programming

motomeso

Premium Subscriber
Your scanner isn't broken. It's been off the air since the weekends storms but should be back up tomorrow.

It would seem that I am not receiving anything on any of the WX frequencies.

Here is a photo of my scanner in band scope mode:
iNr214I.jpg

Note: I can receive other systems and frequencies just fine, particularly Waterloo Region Public Safety and Fleetnet among others.

gary123

The coverage on the 162.55 is not that great but as mentioned it has been off the air for repairs. A new quarter was placed in the transmitter and it should work for the next 2 weeks LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.