• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Strange Chirping Sound Often Heard From Dispatch

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenwoodgeek

I had a quick question I've been wondering about for a long time.

On three separate school bus frequencies in my area (all conventional Kenwood UHF repeater systems), the dispatch radios periodically transmit chirping noises while the dispatchers are talking.

I have no idea if it's the radios themselves, the repeaters in the background, or what. When I just heard it on the one channel, I thought it was just phones ringing in the background, but, as I've said, three separate school bus terminals have these sounds that periodically are put over the air by the radios at base.

These sounds resemble a phone ringing in the background and are not extremely loud. Depending on which channel I'm listening to, the tones are different pitches. Sometimes I'll hear two rounds of chirps, both the same pitch, and other times I'll hear two rounds with the first higher pitched and the second lower pitched. They sound completely randomly and at random intervals.

I figured that it has something to do with the radios in some way, but does anyone know?

I put together a small compilation of times I've recorded these sounds and put it on YouTube. It can be viewed here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd6PWaJHjrs

Thanks!

PVPD730

Premium Subscriber
I had a quick question I've been wondering about for a long time.

On three separate school bus frequencies in my area (all conventional Kenwood UHF repeater systems), the dispatch radios periodically transmit chirping noises while the dispatchers are talking.

I have no idea if it's the radios themselves, the repeaters in the background, or what. When I just heard it on the one channel, I thought it was just phones ringing in the background, but, as I've said, three separate school bus terminals have these sounds that periodically are put over the air by the radios at base.

These sounds resemble a phone ringing in the background and are not extremely loud. Depending on which channel I'm listening to, the tones are different pitches. Sometimes I'll hear two rounds of chirps, both the same pitch, and other times I'll hear two rounds with the first higher pitched and the second lower pitched. They sound completely randomly and at random intervals.

I figured that it has something to do with the radios in some way, but does anyone know?

I put together a small compilation of times I've recorded these sounds and put it on YouTube. It can be viewed here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd6PWaJHjrs

Thanks!

Those noises you heard in the background are most likely phones ringing. As for the other sound following each transmission, that almost sounds like some sort of MDC signaling to give the radio's PTT-ID.

kenwoodgeek

Okay, was just curious! I figured with all the different tones I was hearing, it had something to do with the radios or repeaters.

And yes, these companies use FleetSync PTT ID.

srich10

Premium Subscriber
Those background chirps are Cisco IP phone ringtones for their call center/dispatchers. Here's a link of the one they used in the TV show "24" that also can be heard in clip 3 of your video.

https://youtu.be/KztGVxpbKYs

Funny enough, I have that 24 ringtone as my ringtone on my cellular phone

PVPD730

Premium Subscriber
Okay, was just curious! I figured with all the different tones I was hearing, it had something to do with the radios or repeaters.

And yes, these companies use FleetSync PTT ID.

MDC may be exclusive to Motorola, but I'm not positive on that. FleetSync is probably similar, though.

marcp90

Premium Subscriber
Based on what I heard I'm 99% sure that you are hearing their phones ringing in the background :)

kenwoodgeek

Thank you! I was always wondering if it was just phones in the background, but I wasn't sure.

My mom is, like, addicted to 24, haha.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Thank you! I was always wondering if it was just phones in the background, but I wasn't sure.

My mom is, like, addicted to 24, haha.

Yeah, that's what it is...funny how some did sound like they were upon PTT release.

On a side note, I have that ringtone on my cell phone...the 24 ringtone...lots of versions of it out there.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
MDC may be exclusive to Motorola, but I'm not positive on that. FleetSync is probably similar, though.

At one time it was, but the patent expired a few years back. Most modern and decent (read: non-CCR's) will do MDC1200 now out of the box.

FleetSync was Kenwood's answer when the Motorola patent was still valid. I'm not sure who else supports that now, or if EF Johnson will start supporting it now they are part of JVC/Kenwood

zsauve

Premium Subscriber
The sounds you are hearing is for sure from IP Phones. We use the same ones in my dispatch center. Often times people call while the dispatcher is talking so the phone sounds will often get sent over the air.

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
really annoys me when i'm dispatching and people dont answer the phone. Our phones dont ring at the consoles for this reason, but other ones around the room do.

i have perhaps in the past, mid-dispatch, forgotten to unkey the mic and said 'someone answer the damn phone please'

Status
Not open for further replies.