• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Nexedge - NX-700 Signal Strength

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc0bqb

Is there a way to log signal strength from the NX-700 through the com port? We are trying to do some testing/logging on the coverage area of the trunking repeater.

Thanks,
Josh
kc0bqb

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
I will have to do some digging, but I don't think so. If you sign up on radio mobile aka towercoverage.com google radio mobile online. I can get within two to five miles accurate coverage.

What system or where if I may ask?

kd4efm Evans, sent using TapTALK on my HTC M9

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
For a NX mobile I think the best you can do is set the "maintenance" function to either the menu or a button. Gives a pretty accurate reading in dBm on the display, but you'll need a pencil and paper.

kc0bqb

Will any of the NX-X00 radios output the received signal strength through the com port?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
All the NX-x00 radios use the same firmware, so the functions are nearly identical, other than the obvious.

Would an RSSI pin on the circuit board be useful, or do you need an actual data output?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Is there a way to log signal strength from the NX-700 through the com port? We are trying to do some testing/logging on the coverage area of the trunking repeater.

Thanks,
Josh
kc0bqb

I spent some time scrubbing through a few of the manuals and the only things useful I can find are that you can plug a radio into the KPG-111 software and then activate "Test Mode" on the radio. There is a window there that will give you RSSI and VCO lock voltages. You'd have to set up one of the test frequencies to match that of your system, but that still doesn't give you a way to log it, but at least it's a way to get the RSSI out of the radio.

And, there's the RSSI pin on the circuit board. Might take some outboard gear, but you could log that.

kc0bqb

Yes! a RSSI pin would work. I can use an ADC to poll the pin. I am already grabbing data from the GPS.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
RSSI is on pin 15 of the IF IC "IC202".

You might want to check pin 1 on the rear DB25. The manual says "NC", but when I look at the schematic, it says NC/RSSI and there seems to be a connection.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
I mapped out the analog RSSI for a TKR 810 repeater. Spec said 0 to 3.3 volts on the spread. I found it to be in the range of 1 to 3.5 volts and slightly non-linear.

Once you collect the data, you'll have to step through the receiver with a signal generator to translate to a signal level with a good voltmeter. I suspect all radios are slightly different so check the radio you made the tests with.

Yeah I can see this very doable with one of those cheapo USB A to D data loggers.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.