Help with Uniden BCD996XT

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgruver911

Programming a scanner for our new system for a citizen. Using Butel ARC-XT. Programs just fine, looks like everything is there, freqs, talkgroups, etc but scanner does not pick up anything while scanning. No, it's not the antenna; programmed and tested a Pro-197 at same time and it hears fine. Help?

dgruver911

Since I am very unfamiliar with Unidens, not sure, but it is not showing any bars or anything across the top of the display. Should it be? Can you call me? I'll pm my office number

teufler

I bet you have not assigned systems to a quick key. Open Arcxt, read the scanner, then click quickkeys, then quick key status, then auto enable quick keys. without assignments, the scanner will not pick up a thing.

dgruver911

Did that, still nothing. It's showing the Quick Keys as assigned to the system in the SO: line and talkgroups in the GRP line, but still hearing nothing.

dgruver911

Still no joy. I had a single site set up with all area control channels. I went back in and separated each site with all control and voice channels. Still nothing. Guess I should kick it over to the Uniden forum and see if anyone there has ideas.

Last edited:

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
If you hit the hold button and roll through the control channels manually do you get any data from them?

dgruver911

It picks up a couple of FM stations on broadcast search, weakly and not the local one, and placing it on hold and stepping through to our control channel does not show any bars or anything different on the display. Weather doesn't pick up anything either.

They just ran the morning VHF pager test Not a peep out of the 996 with it setting on the paging channel, no indication it was receiving anything, with my GRE PSR-500 right next to it picking up just fine. Either there is something fundamentally wrong with the basic setup of this thing or it is just completely deaf on public safety VHF and P25 800.

Last edited:

I_am_Alpha1

dgruver911: I just sent you a PM with my contact info--however, RR doesn't show it as sent. I can program the scanner for you. If you didn't get my PM, try PM'ing me and I'll give you a call. FYI, my experience with this model has not been that good on simulcast systems.

dgruver911

Thanks to all who have offered help and programming profiles. I've come to the determination that something is wrong with this scanner. It doesn't pick up any conventional, trunked or weather frequencies, and barely picks up FM radio. The owner has agreed to send it in to Uniden. It is out of warranty and hasn't been used in over a year. We'll see what happens; $79 isn't too much to ask to fix a $500 scanner.

Don

kma371

QRT
Yea that's why I asked if you can hear anything besides what you are trying to listen to. Sounnd like soemthings bad on the inside or bad antenna connection.

teufler

rECENTLY A rr LISTENER HAD PROBL;EMS WITH A 996XT, it was the antenna connection. He took the cover off and say that the wires were nbot making good contact. A quick touch or the iron solv ed his problems. It was wires that attached to the antenna conection, not the circuit board.

Status
Not open for further replies.