Moving to Illinois Could Use Some Radio/Scanner Guidance

Status
Not open for further replies.

noc78

In the next couple weeks I'm headed out to Illinois for a new job. I'm coming from Rhode Island where the most sophisticated thing I needed to listen to the local FD/PD (I'm a huge buff and photographer) was a basic 996XT or something similar. Been doing some reading and poking around regarding the systems in Illinois and I figured I would defer to the Radio Reference Community on their opinions on what I'm going to need to continue this hobby.

We are relocating to Naperville, which before anyone says anything I know is Open Sky...and I'm screwed for that...but I'm at least looking to monitor other nearby towns/cities. From what I figure I'm going to need a P25 II capable scanner to effectively monitor? It gets a little confusing and any help or words of advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you so much in advance!

Awesomeman92

Premium Subscriber
In the next couple weeks I'm headed out to Illinois for a new job. I'm coming from Rhode Island where the most sophisticated thing I needed to listen to the local FD/PD (I'm a huge buff and photographer) was a basic 996XT or something similar. Been doing some reading and poking around regarding the systems in Illinois and I figured I would defer to the Radio Reference Community on their opinions on what I'm going to need to continue this hobby.

We are relocating to Naperville, which before anyone says anything I know is Open Sky...and I'm screwed for that...but I'm at least looking to monitor other nearby towns/cities. From what I figure I'm going to need a P25 II capable scanner to effectively monitor? It gets a little confusing and any help or words of advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you so much in advance!

Everything DuPage County is still only Phase I (plus ISP, IDOT, Tollways), but you are correct you'll need digital. DuComm Fire North/South/East/West is simulcast on StarCom and VHF. The DuComm UHF patches for ISPERN and IFERN are also good listening if they're working right, they'll pull in emergency traffic from all over. Kane County is on VHF, and IIRC Sugar Grove is on 800 conventional. Kendall County is also conventional. If you've got a good enough antenna, Chicago is on UHF.

Welcome to the area!

nick223

Feed Provider
Also check out wescom Welcome the who we serve tab. I know their fire/ems companies are vhf frequencies, im not totally sure on Police since i dont listen to them . Like Awesome said Welcome to the area!

noc78

Thank you both very much! Looking forward to the move and change of pace from the east coast! Glad to hear I don't have to ditch my rather extensive scanner collection for a bunch of Phase II stuff. Looks like I have a bit more research to do but you've both been very helpful!

Thanks again!

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
CARMA Chicago Scanner Group

Hello!

You are fortunate to live nearby where the Chicago Area Radio Monitoring Association (CARMA) meets every other month. We gather at Stevens Restaurant on 63rd Street just east of I-355 in Woodridge. We are the largest scanner association in North America, and have over 2000 subscribers to our Yahoogroup email list. We have combined resources with Radio References and post tons of information here.

Check out our website at Home Page - we post our meeting notices here on Radio Reference, Illinois Forum, and on the CARMA website.

Welcome to our area, and Happy Scanning!

noc78

Awesome! Thanks...I'll check it out!

Hello!

You are fortunate to live nearby where the Chicago Area Radio Monitoring Association (CARMA) meets every other month. We gather at Stevens Restaurant on 63rd Street just east of I-355 in Woodridge. We are the largest scanner association in North America, and have over 2000 subscribers to our Yahoogroup email list. We have combined resources with Radio References and post tons of information here.

Check out our website at Home Page - we post our meeting notices here on Radio Reference, Illinois Forum, and on the CARMA website.

Welcome to our area, and Happy Scanning!

Status
Not open for further replies.