Nothing is heard on DMR frequency

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoggorm

Hi,

I listen to a local company running DMR on 166.575 MHz.

When listening on this frequency on a handheld radio I hear digital sound, however on my BCD536HP nothing is heard.

I do not know anything else (like IDs etc.) other than the frequency. How do I program this frequency in my 536HP?

I live in Norway by the way, and really hope that DMR is the same here as it is in the US? And yes, I do have the DMR firmware upgrade :)

PJH

Premium Subscriber
Since the official released firmware, I have noticed this. Sitting on a channel, or close call - the scanner will stop on it, decode the information but no audio - or audio once in awhile (usually no audio).

Same channels with the beta firmware, would decode audio no problem.

wbswetnam

It could be that you are listening to the control channel, which does not have any voice transmissions.

SCPD

QRT
Hi,

I listen to a local company running DMR on 166.575 MHz.

When listening on this frequency on a handheld radio I hear digital sound, however on my BCD536HP nothing is heard.

I do not know anything else (like IDs etc.) other than the frequency. How do I program this frequency in my 536HP?

I live in Norway by the way, and really hope that DMR is the same here as it is in the US? And yes, I do have the DMR firmware upgrade :)
As in DMR upgrade you referring to the update released by upman yesterday?

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I've seen this also and can usually fix it by playing with the Digital Threshold Mode and Level. Sometimes leaving the above set to Auto works and other times I must change it to Manual and usually a Level of 6.
Manual and 6 works for 95% of the DMR systems I've been messing with since they released the DMR feature. That setting usually works the best for me regardless if it is a standard DMR or CAP or CON type signal.

This is after trying to confirm they are not using basic privacy or other form of encryption of course.

When sitting on just a single conventional frequency programmed as Digital, I've seen the 536HP not always show ENC in the display when I know the users are in fact encrypted. The 536 will always show me that it is a DMR or CAP or CON type signal but seems to miss the ENC part sometimes.
Maybe it cannot detect basic privacy so it will never light the ENC part of the display.

Hoggorm

I have firmware version 1.11.15. I do not try out the beta versions so I only update via Sentinel. As DMR upgrade I mean that I have bought the DMR upgrade (hence it should work?)

My 536HP never stops on any DMR frequencies. However, all except for one every frequency is programmed as Conventional.

I have one frequency programmed as DMR One Frequency. This is a frequency with relatively much radio traffic and is the mentioned 166.575 MHz. As far as I know they do not use trunking. They only own a repeater TX and RX frequency and this is the repeater TX frequency. As mentioned in the first post I do not know anything else like IDs etc. Is this required?

First I am unsure of how to program this correctly using Sentinel. I have used this guide but unfortunately it does not makes sense to me from the part starting with "In the Excel spreadsheet, select the 2 columns with the callsign-name-state and the unitID as the 2 columns". I do not have such information for neither Norway nor the user of this frequency:

http://forums.radioreference.com/un...mr-programming-single-channel-dmr-system.html

I am also unsure of how I can listen to this frequency only. Usually I can press Channel - Quick Key.Quick Key.Quick Key.

I've assigned the DMR One Channel Favorites list a Quick key of 12, but entering 12.1.1 shows

"CH number tag 12.1.1 is not stored. Press any key"

In Sentinel this frequency is programmed as site and not department and it appears that it is not assigned a quick key... So how do I hold on this frequency since the scanner do not stop on it when there is traffic on the frequency...

Hoggorm

By turning off monitor on all other Favorites lists I am able to monitor the DMR one frequency list only. The radio is however completely silent when there are data transmissions on the mentioned frequency...

D

darunimal

Data transmissions or digital voice transmissions, have you tried Digital Decode Threshold set to Manual 5, also turn ID Search On and give the Site a quick key
12.01.01 E/Yes

also make sure the System QK is On 12.01E/Yes

Hoggorm

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 454
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 434
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg