BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Upgrade for ProVoice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Go-West

Premium Subscriber
I wanted to get some feedback from everyone concerning the upgrade for ProVoice, I wanted to know if it was worth getting it because I'm not sure if they are used in many places.

I did the upgrade for DMR/MotoTRBO yesterday am glad I did as it looks like more agencies are using this mode.

Thanks in advance for the input as its appreciated.

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
San Antonio, Mobile,AL are 2 that I know of

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

GM

Premium Subscriber
I always purchase the various digital mode upgrades for my scanners whenever possible. It makes the scanner more valuable when you go to resell it down the road, and also eliminates the possibility of needing it and then not having the mode purchased when on a trip out of town. It also supports the scanner hobby by allowing the manufacturers to push ahead with other digital modes for development by demand from the customers.

troymail

Silent Key
Directly or indirectly - the point of these "add-ons" is to continue expanding upon the functionality but at the same time, allow a user what they want or don't want to pay for.

DMR is a good example -- most of it is business use - taxis, malls, trash trucks, hotel cleaning staff, etc. However, in some places, some public safety agencies are using it.

ProVoice is more likely to used by public safety users but it also likely to fade over time as systems are replaced.

The question of value to you can only be made by you.

As far as getting it just to get it - that's always an option. However, in most cases, it doesn't really make sense to just get it if you aren't going to use it. It's not like it's going to go "poof" and disappear on December 31st.

They make all kinds of options for my truck too but I'm not buying all of them unless I see a use for any given thing.....

greggk

Premium Subscriber
I always purchase the various digital mode upgrades for my scanners whenever possible. It makes the scanner more valuable when you go to resell it down the road, and also eliminates the possibility of needing it and then not having the mode purchased when on a trip out of town. It also supports the scanner hobby by allowing the manufacturers to push ahead with other digital modes for development by demand from the customers.

Resell? Did you say "resell?" (Fanning myself to avoid fainting} Thats like selling your kid. :lol:

wbswetnam

I am very glad to get the DMR upgrade for the 536 since DMR is used quite a bit in Arkansas for public service, especially small-town police. However, ProVoice is not used anywhere in the state. On occasion I do travel and I take radios with me (of course), but this is so seldom that in my mind at least I cannot justify buying the ProVoice upgrade. I'm glad, though, that Uniden offers the digital modes 'a la carte'. Ahhhhmmm, NXDN, please, Uniden?

bama9999

Living in a county that uses ProVoice, the update is of great benefit to me. As far as my monitoring hobby goes, it's been the best spent $50.00 that I've done in a while.

I wish my Pro-668 was able to upgrade to ProVoice as well!

garys

Premium Subscriber
The regional transit system in greater Boston uses Pro Voice. I don't listen to them very much, but it was a great way to test out the new option in the scanner.

More importantly, I'll be able to listen to Mobile... if they don't activate the P25 system before my next visit.:confused:

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
I'm happy with it. I bought a 436HP in January because of the ProVoice option since the city and county where I live still use it. Before that, me and my 396XT could only listen to the City and County Fire Dispatchers who broadcast in analog.

I find that it decodes well, especially when mindful of the fact that the 436 isn't purpose built to decode they system like a Ericsson/MACom/Harris radio.

wbswetnam

If I still lived in Florida I'd probably get the ProVoice for the statewide SLERS sytem, even though almost all TGs are encrypted. There are some volunteer fire departments in Florida that use SLERS and are not encrypted. Also I'd just want to listen 'in case' something unexpectedly pops up. Arkansas seems to have completely ignored ProVoice in favor ot DMR and some NXDN.

Tramagod

I bought the Pro Voice upgrade because a portion of the public safety system in my county uses it, but researching the DMR I've found that it's only commercial right now, businesses and schools, which is of no interest to me. If public safety starts using it ill probably get it then.

movinon

Premium Subscriber
I wanted to get some feedback from everyone concerning the upgrade for ProVoice, I wanted to know if it was worth getting it because I'm not sure if they are used in many places.

I did the upgrade for DMR/MotoTRBO yesterday am glad I did as it looks like more agencies are using this mode.

Thanks in advance for the input as its appreciated.
Great upgrade worked perfectly for Oklahoma City!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N930A using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.