Eugene & Springfield Police Encryption

Status
Not open for further replies.

dsaukko

Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure if i'm not setting this up correctly or if the dispatch channels really are encrypted. Does anyone know for sure? Please let me know, just bought a new scanner, not cheap. And now i don't think i can even use it.

dsaukko

Premium Subscriber
Well that sucks. I can see them encrypting spec ops and tac channels, but not dispatch and normal activity.

dsaukko

Premium Subscriber
Is there anything to listen to with a scanner around here? Just bought a scanner so I can listen to police and fire and that's a no go.

dsaukko

Premium Subscriber
Yes, i have a P25 trunking scanner. Whistler WS1065. Funny thing is i can get some comms from lcso dispatch, but only one way. What's the fire and ems freq's?

dsaukko

Premium Subscriber
They should be on the same frequencies right? Just a different talkgroup? I have a wildcard in my talkgroup settings to allow unknowns in. Only thing i got was sanitation and parks so far.

Baker845

in the data base all the Fire freqs are listed for Fire and EMS. and yes some units aren't encrypted. I have no idea why. LCSO system hasn't made sense to me in 15 years lol

mikegilbert

MHz so good
To echo what others have posted, sadly EPD/SPD/UofOPD and LCSO have switched on encryption for a few years now.

You can, however, still scan the system and find new unencrypted talkgroups. They'll be public works, waste management and EWEB, but it's still something to listen to.

Monitoring Eugene fire/ems can be frustrating as it's a voted simplex system with few repeaters, so you'll need to be relatively close to hear the mobiles/portables.

Things you can still monitor are:

Eugene FireCom
OSP
ODOT
Linn County
Silke's LTR system
UofO's LTR system
And plenty of conventional businesses.

dsaukko

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for all the confirmations. I think it's a real shame that they feel the need to encrypt every communication they have. It would sure be nice to know when i send my kids off walking to school, and i see squad cars, to know if they are knocking on someones door, or if someone dangerous is in the area. I guess we can still listen to the parks department so we know where not to step.. lol j/k

Baker845

The voted simplex system is used in Eugene/Springfield area. The rural fire depts have repeaters and can be heard good in most areas in the city. Only repeater thats kinda weak is south Lane Fire East 3 otherwise i haven't had any issues hearing the rest.

rcluster

I don't know the reason, but starting this past Monday LCSO Ch 1 has been in the clear on the dispatcher side only. Units are still encrypted. Figured it was an overlooked radio for a while but I have logged 5 different radios behaving this way, all never heard before.

Don't know how long it's going to last so plug it in while you can.

allend

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for all the confirmations. I think it's a real shame that they feel the need to encrypt every communication they have. It would sure be nice to know when i send my kids off walking to school, and i see squad cars, to know if they are knocking on someones door, or if someone dangerous is in the area. I guess we can still listen to the parks department so we know where not to step.. lol j/k

Thank God you did not buy a 600 dollar scanner to listen to the parks department.

OregonScanner

Premium Subscriber
Junction City PD uses P25 but is not encrypted so you could listen to them.

I forgot to post earlier that some LCSO non-trunked repeaters are not fully encrypted (the ones at the top of the Lane County page):
Lane County, Oregon (OR) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

LCSO uses these in areas with poor trunked coverage. Coburg Ridge, Harness Mtn, Florence 1 West, and Roman Nose are all linked together. LCSO doesn't use the trunked system in the Florence/Mapleton areas so by listening to the Coburg Ridge repeater from the Eugene area you can get quite a bit of LCSO activity from the coast, especially on the weekends due to deputies patrolling the dunes.

Also, when LCSO units can't get out on the trunked system and the UHF non-trunked freqs, they switch to the LCSO Search & Rescue VHF repeater.

Also, depending on your location you may be able to pickup Douglas County. They are not encrypted and almost every agency uses their countywide radio system.

rcluster

I don't know the reason, but starting this past Monday LCSO Ch 1 has been in the clear on the dispatcher side only. Units are still encrypted. Figured it was an overlooked radio for a while but I have logged 5 different radios behaving this way, all never heard before.

Don't know how long it's going to last so plug it in while you can.

Just an update on the above:
LCSO dispatch is back to 100% encrypted as I suspected they would.
EPD dispatch now has at least 1 console that is in the clear on Channel 1. All units are still encrypted.

Must be getting some new console radios but I don't know why they first show up in the clear, and on one channel only.

Status
Not open for further replies.