• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Moto Type II "ID+1" status bit

Status
Not open for further replies.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
On a Moto Type II system, I sometimes see Unitrunker display service code "All", presumably ID+1, or "All Talkgroup". What, exactly, does "All Talkgroup" refer to?

Fowler

Premium Subscriber
Usually its a dispatch that needs to go to all talkgroups... ie robbery in progress...officer in trouble... ect

riveter

Premium Subscriber
"All" indicates an all-group multigroup. Talkgroups can be assigned as members of multigroup talkgroups, and the all-talkgroup multigroup is a special multigroup basically that contains all talkgroups. ALL subscribers registered to the system will follow announced channel grants for that multigroup (rather than just following grants for their affiliated and scanned talkgroups).

Basically, easy way to make a systemwide broadcast.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
It's a talkgroup that will override all other talkgroups in a fleet and make all users receive the same transmission regardless of what channel they're on. Like Fowler said, it's often used as a broadcast talkgroup for police to alert all units to a critical situation.

This can be programmed in the client radios (the professional two-ways) so that all or any radios an agency owns will switch to this talkgroup when it goes active. In official literature it's often referred to as an "announcement group". And yes, on Moto type II systems, it is "ID+1" when you disable the status bit. So talkgroup 48112, if it is an announcement group or ATG, would come in as 48113 if you told the scanner to treat status bits as different talkgroups.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
Interesting, thanks for all the info. So if I set my 396XT to ignore status bits and program TGID+1 as a priority all-call talkgroup, I should hear the all-call transmissions (unless the 396XT is capable of processing the status bit and automatically prioritizing all-call TG's?).

In Unitrunker, is there a way to prioritize these all-call transmissions?

Last edited:

Jay911

Feed Provider
Interesting, thanks for all the info. So if I set my 396XT to ignore status bits and program TGID+1 as a priority all-call talkgroup, I should hear the all-call transmissions (unless the 396XT is capable of processing the status bit and automatically prioritizing all-call TG's?).

In Unitrunker, is there a way to prioritize these all-call transmissions?

Scanners don't automatically prioritize the ATGs. I believe if you set a scanner to "ignore" status bits, the scanner will treat TG+1 and TG to be the same. Realistically, at least in my experience, the ATG is never used for any other purpose (though I'm sure someone will come up with an example now, specifically because I've said that) so you could set an alert on that TG and leave your scanner set to ignore the status bit.

The status bit configuration in a scanner is a little confusing. IMO they should never have designed it that way, but that's for another discussion. When set to IGNORE, the scanner will treat TG+1 the same as TG (and TG+3 the same as TG, and etc). Only if you set the status bit option to YES will you see TG, TG+1, and TG+3 and etc displayed as separate TGs in the radio.

Professional radios don't display the status bits of individual TGs as separate TGs, like a scanner with Status Bit set to Yes does.

As for Unitrunker, it does recognize all the status bits on a Mot II system and displays them (IIRC) in a field at the extreme right of the frequency line/history display, but as to whether or not you can prioritize on that (I believe you're referring to using Unitrunker to play audio here, rather than just the trunk decoding), only Rick (Unitrunker) could answer that.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
Scanners don't automatically prioritize the ATGs. I believe if you set a scanner to "ignore" status bits, the scanner will treat TG+1 and TG to be the same. Realistically, at least in my experience, the ATG is never used for any other purpose (though I'm sure someone will come up with an example now, specifically because I've said that) so you could set an alert on that TG and leave your scanner set to ignore the status bit.

Okay, good to know. Believe it or not, for the system I'm monitoring TG and TG+1 appear to be used for wholly unrelated purposes, so I guess I need to monitor/prioritize TG+1 with Status Bit = "YES" . And yes, I'm running a voice receiver in Unitrunker to decode the audio.

Also, will my Pro-652 recognize TG+1?

Jay911

Feed Provider
According to the "Easier to Read Manual" for the PRO-652 (and others in that same family), they don't allow the status bit to be monitored, sorry.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
According to the "Easier to Read Manual" for the PRO-652 (and others in that same family), they don't allow the status bit to be monitored, sorry.

So, this family of radios won't recognize TG's which are not multiples of 16?

Status
Not open for further replies.