• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Battery Charger for Astro Saber III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sccafire

I need a charger that supports Ni-Mh chemistry. Will the NTN4734A be able to do that or will I need to purchase another charger. I have battery model NTN4595. 7.2V Extra Long-Lasting 2700mAh Ni-MH Battery

Thanks in advance,

Scott

N4KVE

I need a charger that supports Ni-Mh chemistry. Will the NTN4734A be able to do that or will I need to purchase another charger. I have battery model NTN4595. 7.2V Extra Long-Lasting 2700mAh Ni-MH Battery

Thanks in advance,

Scott
The NTN4734B supports Ni-Mh batteries. Not many of them made though. However, the following charger supports all 3 battery chemistry types, & fits all Jedi's, Sabers, & XTS3000/5000 radios. I've picked up several for $10 each at local ham fests.
http://harvway.com/images/ebay/Listings/13/1.jpg

N4KVE

Thanks for the information. Looks like I will have a huge paper weight and will need to buy another charger.
Back about 10 years ago, I bought about 6 Astro Sabers, 1 at a time. After the 2nd one, I told the sellers I did not need the NTN4734A charger, but would pay the selling price, just don't send the charger. Well each seller sent the charger anyway, because they probably wanted to get rid of it too. A few years ago, I offered to give them away for free to locals, or just pay actual shipping to get rid of them, as I can't throw anything away. No takers. One I remember was still new in the box from the State of Indiana. But the newer tri-chem, or Impres chargers are so much better, & charge Jedi's, Sabers, XTS, & XPR batteries. I even have a few STX chargers where Motorola made adapters to charge Sabers in STX chargers. But all these old chargers while built like brick houses, were only good for ni cads. Cooked them pretty good too.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
Actually I have a couple Astro Sabers that I don't use anymore only because I don't have any good batteries for them.

I also have paid no attention to battery development for Sabers/Astro Sabers lately so I'm not up to date on them.

What's the current best battery for them? (High capacity and small size) Not that I really care much about size. I just can't even imagine the capacity of a Li-Ion battery in the super size battery case these days. It'd have to be something absurd.

gtaman

Actually I have a couple Astro Sabers that I don't use anymore only because I don't have any good batteries for them.

I also have paid no attention to battery development for Sabers/Astro Sabers lately so I'm not up to date on them.

What's the current best battery for them? (High capacity and small size) Not that I really care much about size. I just can't even imagine the capacity of a Li-Ion battery in the super size battery case these days. It'd have to be something absurd.

Multiplier makes a really good NI-CD battery for them. It's standard size. Nearly identical to motorolas.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
Higher capacity, maybe a bit smaller in size?

I don't want to deal with NiCd or NiMH batteries ever again.

A few years ago I bought a new Impres battery for my ASIII and in two years it was completely dead.
Shortest working life of any battery I've ever seen, even cheap ones.

I was not impresed. Spelling intentional.

gtaman

Higher capacity, maybe a bit smaller in size?

I don't want to deal with NiCd or NiMH batteries ever again.

A few years ago I bought a new Impres battery for my ASIII and in two years it was completely dead.
Shortest working life of any battery I've ever seen, even cheap ones.

I was not impresed. Spelling intentional.

I'll have to check mine when I get back from D.C. It's a NI-CD it lasts all day and is very sturdy. I've had it for two years it's still going strong.

N4KVE

At the Orlando Hamfest 4 years ago I purchased 4 no name Saber batteries for $20 each. They are still working strong, & have no way to buy more when I will need them, as I have no idea who the mfr, or importer is. Fits the radio perfectly too.

Status
Not open for further replies.