PRO-197 programming issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
Having an issue when it comes to programming my PRO-197, and I'm hoping someone may be able to help me resolve this issue.

I'm using PSREdit500 on a Windows 7 computer. I've got everything programmed in the software just the way I want it, but when I go to upload it to the scanner, I first get a popup box that says, "waiting for scanner." After about 5 to 8 seconds, a second box pops up stating, "Send initialize timeout! Please make sure USB cable is connected and try again."

I'm pretty sure I have the correct driver(s) installed because the USB cable is connected, and I am able to remotely control the scanner; I even get the flashing red and green lights in the box on the cable. But when I try to upload, it's a no-go. You'd think if the computer and radio are talking to each other for remote control, they would talk to each other for file transfers as well.

Just wondering if anyone else has ever experienced this, and if so, how you overcame the problem. If I just had a couple of systems I wanted to listen to, I'd program the scanner manually, but I plan on utilizing about 15 or so scanlists, and I don't have the time, nor the patience, to do all of that manually.

Any help, comments, tips and/or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

:)

Last edited:

DJ11DLN

The only thing I can think of is it might be a COM port issue, but like you I'd think if it's communicating for RC it ought to communicate for read/write. Never seen anything like that with a GRE500-type scanner.

Since you've obviously had it working before it might be time to save all your data and do a full hard reset on the 197. And with that I am all fresh out of suggestions except to say, good luck.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

The only thing I can think of is it might be a COM port issue, but like you I'd think if it's communicating for RC it ought to communicate for read/write. Never seen anything like that with a GRE500-type scanner.

Since you've obviously had it working before it might be time to save all your data and do a full hard reset on the 197. And with that I am all fresh out of suggestions except to say, good luck.

Yeah, a long time ago in a city far, far away. LOL!!

I'm hoping it won't come to the hard reset option. Taking a break from it today, but will fool around with it more tomorrow and see what I can (hopefully) do to get it working correctly.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Have you considered programming by keypad? It's much simpler. :). 73, n9zas

NWI_Scanner_Guy

Have you considered programming by keypad? It's much simpler. :). 73, n9zas

Simpler? No, I don't think it would be. Besides, like I said in the OP, I don't have the time or the patience to program 15 scanlists, some which are quite large, manually.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Simpler? No, I don't think it would be. Besides, like I said in the OP, I don't have the time or the patience to program 15 scanlists, some which are quite large, manually.
Ok, well its not quicker, but it IS without the software headaches. I've never used software at all. :). 73, n9zas

Swipesy

NWI_Scanner_Guy. In the PSREdit Software On the "Configuration" tab on the Toolbar and under "Serial Port Settings" do you have it set for USB Cable? Just a thought.

AC9BX

I have to agree. If it works for remote monitoring it should work for programming. Do you have the proper cable? Typically the FTDI cables are legit but there's loads of counterfeit Prolific chip cables out there. Red and green lights? I have the Radio Shack cable and it has only a green LED. Perhaps it's a USB port/speed issue. Have you tried another computer? Perhaps it's a software issue. Try Win500? If all that fails it indeed be time to give the radio a swift kick.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

Well, still haven't had any luck figuring this out. I'll be tied up with work for the next few days, so I think the next time I try, I'll give my Windows 8.1 laptop a shot at it.

kmi8dy

my advise is to give the scanner the last rites. thats what i did to mine, i used a 1911 colt .45 semi auto. 2 magizines did the trick. then i bought a bcd996p2 . so much easier when you use freescan..........damn i hated that scanner.

CycleSycho

my advise is to give the scanner the last rites. thats what i did to mine, i used a 1911 colt .45 semi auto. 2 magizines did the trick. then i bought a bcd996p2 . so much easier when you use freescan..........damn i hated that scanner.

:) Surely I hope you just wanted to blow off a few? 2 clips needed? Given(@13-15 rounds available if standard clip, @ 6 or 7 configured mag capacities), I am sure only one round hitting does the job. Is your gun tight? Well taken care of? :)

:) My series 70 1911 Colt is very accurate at 15 ft. (5 meters). Easily, I would hit a radio sized target at least 4, maybe 5 times, with 8 available (one '7' clip + 1 hot). Back to basics, I say. Of course after 1 ball or hollowpoint (I stagger ball/HP, one for one) round anywhere in the radio, there would be nothing left to 'salvage' or aim at any more, eh? :)

:) To NWI_Scanner_Guy, sorry about the hijacking. :)

NWI_Scanner_Guy

LOL!!

I wish I could read it its last rites, but it's the only digital scanner left in my stable and despite the trouble I'm currently experiencing trying to program it with software, I happen to still like the scanner as it still does what I (mostly) need it to do.

kmi8dy

to cycle sycho, have had 8 or 10 colt 1911's, mostly in .45. but did have one in .38 super. i shot it so much i wore it out. put around 60,000 thru it. it's a model 70, i bought new in late 1960's. the one i'm carrieing now is a kimber. will never go back to colt. colt since their 80 series are all cast. not as strong as they used to be. kimbers are all forged. i used 2 mags just because i could. that day i shot up about 1200 to 1400 rounds, until my thumb got sore re-loading mags. i used to shoot on two different teams. one slow fire and one combat. the colt gold cup i had was a rebuilt 70 series and could place 9 out of 10 rounds on a target the size of a nickel at 40 feet.

Last edited:

DJ11DLN

Sorry your 197 was such a PITA for you...I love mine. It does its job better than any other model I've yet played around with, including some high-priced ones of another brand. Using things that honk you off for targets when you're through with them is fun, done that a number of times myself...but you can have my 197 when you pry it from my cold dead hand!:lol::lol::lol:

(or when SAFE-T goes entirely p.2, whichever comes first.:()

Status
Not open for further replies.