• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Coax cable BR-8X, good or mediocre?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnowWalker

Just hooked up with "ladyluck" at a radio shop in Winnipeg Manitoba and was looking for a 50 OHM . 25' coaxial for my 21' roof top vertical CB antenna. I was told by one of their technicians that the -Low Loss- Double Shield -BR-8X- is a better grade of coax than the standard RG-58 coaxial. Should I buy the BR-X8 or go for for the standard RG-58 cable?

prcguy

BR-8X shows up as a double shielded RG-58A/U cable marketed by Browning. For what your using it for the double shielding does nothing and its got the same loss per foot as any other low loss RG-58.

The next step up would be RG-8X, which is slightly larger than .25" dia but does have lower loss than RG-58. Probably the best coax in this size range is LMR-240, its the same size as RG-8X and has the lowest loss and highest power handling of the small coax cables you would use for CB or amateur use.
prcguy

SnowWalker

Thank-you prcguy. The shop has LMR-240 but will sell min of 50' only. The other problem was the 259 connectors. Nothing in stock to fit the cable.

Thanks again

prcguy

There is a common adapter that allows a standard PL-259 to fit LMR240 and RG-8X. It seems odd that a shop would have the cable but not the adapter. If you were local to me and only needed a short run I would just give you a chunk of LMR240.
prcguy

Thank-you prcguy. The shop has LMR-240 but will sell min of 50' only. The other problem was the 259 connectors. Nothing in stock to fit the cable.

Thanks again

cmdrwill

There is a common adapter that allows a standard PL-259 to fit LMR240 and RG-8X. It seems odd that a shop would have the cable but not the adapter. If you were local to me and only needed a short run I would just give you a chunk of LMR240.
prcguy

Correct, the threaded adapter for the PL259 connector IS the same as the one for RG59 cables, but the shiled in the LMR cables is hard to solder.. The crimp type 'pl' type connectors are much better and come in RG8X/LMR 240 size. You can buy the cable length you need with the correct connectors installed most places.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Just hooked up with "ladyluck" at a radio shop in Winnipeg Manitoba and was looking for a 50 OHM . 25' coaxial for my 21' roof top vertical CB antenna. I was told by one of their technicians that the -Low Loss- Double Shield -BR-8X- is a better grade of coax than the standard RG-58 coaxial. Should I buy the BR-X8 or go for for the standard RG-58 cable?

If this is for a base station at your home, you can do better than RG-8x, LMR-240, etc. Those are commonly used in mobile installs.

RG-8, RG-213, LMR-400, etc. would all be better and shopping around should find some cheap prices on line.

SnowWalker

If this is for a base station at your home, you can do better than RG-8x, LMR-240, etc. Those are commonly used in mobile installs.

RG-8, RG-213, LMR-400, etc. would all be better and shopping around should find some cheap prices on line.

The coax is for the roof antenna. I'll have a look tomorrow before we hit the road for home.

Thank-you mmckenna

JayMojave

Yeah what they said: Good advice.

Jay in the Great Mojave Desert... Miss Dinahs fillin station Hardware and Market has really great prices on heavy Jackets for winter, gas prices still a little high. 22 ammo now available.

Status
Not open for further replies.