• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

GMRS for Emergencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

n5ims

Yes. GMRS is a good tool to use to keep in touch with family members (that are in range) when cell phones and land lines are unavailable. What it may not be so good for is contacting others for help since GMRS isn't designed as something that has a critical mass of users in most areas. That said, in some areas (often in farm communities) there may be that critical mass available.

Ham Radio is often a better choice since many hams have the equipment and training on how to respond during a disaster and are willing to travel into disaster areas to help out when needed. Getting a ham ticket is pretty easy for most folks. While it isn't quite so easy for those with learning disabilities or are blind or other physical challenges, it still can be done if that person really wants it bad enough.

Accommodations can be made when appropriate (such as a helper to read the questions and write down the answers for that blind ham or one that can't otherwise do those tasks themselves). For those with learning challenges, it often just takes a bit longer to learn the material for the test. Many clubs are especially willing to assist to study for and pass the necessary tests. There's even an organization setup specifically to help those with these challenges to pass their test and operate. Courage Kenny Handiham Program | Handiham.org: Amateur Radio & Technology for People with Disabilities

bharvey2

While I don't have personal involvement with any of the groups, there are some in my area of California that have set up GMRS repeater networks specifically for disaster preparedness as well as neighborhood watch. Nothing wrong with your idea but keep in mind, radio users must be members of the same family or if not, they must be individually licensed.

SCPD

QRT
The area that I live in they wont help me study for the test and that they dont offer any class to teach you about the ham radio. i am about to give up

bharvey2

Don't let the lack of local resources stop you. There are many online resources as well. I got my ticket without ever interacting with any local HAM guys until the day of the test. I found a few online tests, discovered my weak spots and brushed up on those online by finding the pertinent study information. If you like physical reading material, ARRL sells study guides on Amazon. Don't be discouraged. This is something you can accomplish.

SCPD

QRT
My goal is to turn my bedroom desk into a Emergnecy Radio Head quaters and I just need to figure out how to biuld a stand for my radios .

teufler

if you are using a mobile, take the mobile bracket and turn to the bottom of the radio. Make it into a small stand so the radio can be propped up. You will still be able to move it around. You probably have a power supply for the mobile radio, again with the bracket upside down, take some velco and attach to the bracket and the power supply. You will use less desk space and have more room for maps and note pads. If HT's, use the belt clip to attach to something on the desk

Status
Not open for further replies.