WS1095: Slow Boot / Load Times?

Status
Not open for further replies.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Is anyone else noticing slow load/boot times on either the 1095 or 1098 since the latest update? I connected it to the computer and EZScan said there was a firmware update the other day so I loaded it up.

Since then it seems the boot up / load time for the WS1095 and WS1098 that I have is about 3 or 4 times as long as it was previously. It will say “verifying files” and then whatever else it says for a lot longer than it did previously. I have made no other changes, just loaded the new firmware and updated the database via EZScan a couple of days ago when I connected the scanners and they said they needed updated.

Anyone else noticing this? Since I'm seeing it on two of them I'm thinking it isn't just me...surely...:confused:

Joseph11

I noticed this on my TRX-2 but a couple of updates ago. Still going on.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
I did submit a report to Whistler earlier this afternoon and this is what I just got back:

This increase in the time was added for a more stable operation when connected to a switched source of power. It is not a bug.

So...there we have it. Kind of annoying...takes what seems like forever to begin monitoring stuff...

But now we know...

Joseph11

I was having issues with the scanner booting all the way through sporadically prior to that update, so it looks like it may have resolved that issue.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Speaking of boot times, I swapped out my "high speed" Sandisk Extreme 16GB SD card for the stock 4GB SD card in my TRX-1, and my boot/load times went from 30 seconds to 15 seconds.

My SD card only has something like 120MB of data on it. Would my boot load times drop even farther if I put a 256MB or 512MB MicroSD card into this thing? If so, what would be the best and fastest MicroSD card that would not open another can of worms by bottlenecking in some other way?

Paul

Ed6698

Speaking of boot times, I swapped out my "high speed" Sandisk Extreme 16GB SD card for the stock 4GB SD card in my TRX-1, and my boot/load times went from 30 seconds to 15 seconds.

My SD card only has something like 120MB of data on it. Would my boot load times drop even farther if I put a 256MB or 512MB MicroSD card into this thing? If so, what would be the best and fastest MicroSD card that would not open another can of worms by bottlenecking in some other way?

Paul

Boot time is around 1 second per GB. I have been using a 2GB sd card every so often with no issues. a 256mb or 512mb sd card should would work fine and load up fast. I would not even bother getting a fast SD card, won't make a bit of difference in boot time or anything else, except data transfer with a SD card reader.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
I came from the Uniden world, where SD card speed actually affected scanner operability speed. The faster cards would boot/load faster on Unidens, and things such as selecting and deselecting scanlists/favorites was quicker as well. Apparently the Unidens seem to use the SD card as OS RAM. The Whistlers seem to read every bit on the card when booting, even if they are reading 15.8GB of empty space on a 16GB card!

Paul

Chorca

Same issue with my new WS1088. I wanted to record wildcard talkgroups to help identify them, so threw a 16GB card I had laying around into it (high speed SanDisk), set it all up, and instantly noticed my boot time was around 4 times as long as with the stock 4GB SD card that comes with it.

I could understand if it had some proprietary filesystem on the card, but being that it's just regular old FAT32, seems odd that a larger card would take longer to initalize as technically it just needs to read the configuration/database files off the card, right?

Not sure what's going on, though I am putting up with it for now.

Ed6698

Either way there is no way around it. The larger the sd card the longer the boot. When I am not recording much I use my 2gb card. I actually stocked up on a few 2gb sd cards, just for the scanner.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
I never record, especially when mobile, so I will probably try to find a small one (maybe even an old one lying around) and see if that helps with the load time. I'm guessing it will based on responses here.

SCPD

QRT
Its the SD card,if you have a smaller GB,it boots faster.
I have a 32 GB,I just leave mine on!LOL!

Ubbe

Anyone tried to partition a high capacity card with a smaller value, say a 32GB card partition to 1GB, and see if the scanner starts up a lot quicker?

/Ubbe

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
That is an interesting concept. I bought a 1GB Sandisk card on eBay, but the scanner throws an error when I press the power button. :-(

Paul

Ed6698

I made a 1gb partition on my 8gb Sandisk sd card. Radio booted to scan in 10 seconds. Slightly faster then when I was using a 2gb sd card.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
OK, now we're getting somewhere! I'm going to have to try this. Nice idea...why didn't I think of that?!? lol

Ubbe

It doesn't help much when the "Verifying Data" time are so long. I only have the default CDAT file and no V-folders and only have 300 channels/objects and it takes 30 sec to verify.

I don't know what is being verified, haven't the EZ scan software already done that on the PC?

/Ubbe

SCPD

QRT
There is NO difference in using a faster SD card in these scanners. It is 100% a waste of money doing so.

Oh ... and these are not Unidens, never will be and no correlation between them when it comes to boot up times.

If you do audio recording .. I have found that often the slower cards perform better than the faster ones when doing so.

As was stated above .. it is about 1 sec per GB. (talking about the Init SD File Sys part before we start a flame war here)

It makes not one drop of difference .. it has been tested LONG LONG LONG ago.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.