Scanner help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

limacook2000

Premium Subscriber
I Just got a whistler 1065 and am needing help getting it programmed . I would like to do it through the PC but dont know how. Can someone help me out ?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Hi limacook; while I don't have a Whistler radio, I think I can give you enough to get you going...

This article from our wiki (links are always blue) will give you links to just about everything you need to know to get started...

Getting Started with your GRE/RS Object Oriented Scanner - The RadioReference Wiki

Now the first little kink is that evidently Whistler redesigned their website just recently, and their version of the USB-serial cable you would need isn't there. However there's some evidence in another thread that the aftermarket cable from Valley Enterprises would work just fine. That link is in the Connecting Scanners via USB article, in the aftermarket section. The RS cable should also work (don't use the supplied pigtail).

There is a link for the Easier to Read manual and many other things you will find useful

Mike

radionut44

Premium Subscriber
Programming help

I have the PSR800 which is very similar I think. I think the only cable you need is usb cable with the middle size usb connector on the radio end. Use EZScan software.
Ron

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Thanks Mike im thinking i might need some phone support on this.
lima,

Take a look at the link Mike provided earlier. On that page you'll see a link to a page for software that can be used on your scanner. If you pick one of the software programs, and download and install it, someone can create a quick-start file for you to get you going. You'd take a file provided by a member here, then open it with the software. From there, it's an easy transfer from your computer to the scanner. I'm in Dallas, but familiar with much of your area.

Regardless of whether you get a jump-start file from someone, or set it up yourself from the ground up, you should first think about what you want to monitor. Besides law enforcement there in Hamilton County, I suspect you'd also want the fire and ems agencies, plus perhaps your surrounding counties, as well as Texas DPS. Once you determine that, then post it, as well as download one of the software packages. I prefer Win500, but there are two others that also work for the model you have. All of them have a thirty day trial period, where you can use the software for 30 days, before you have to go ahead & purchase a license, or quit using the program. All three of them are a one-time fee, with subsequent updates at no charge.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
We even have Getting Started articles for Win500 and ARC500 (2 of the 3 popular programs for this class of scanner) linked at the very bottom of the page I gave earlier

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.