Siren and WiFi Master/Sub Thread Suggestion/Request

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesO

So I think now that the Siren App is finally getting sorted out after 2 years, that there needs to be a Master/Sub Siren and WiFi thread for the BCD536HP. Maybe even a specific sub section of the Uniden Forum that then is broken into other parts for things like Wifi Dongle, Android Siren App, IOS Siren App, Networking Problems, Remote/VPN Access, etc..

The reasoning is this.

1. There are Siren specific issues with each App version, Android and IOS that may need to be addressed. Using the term/word "Siren" can lead to a lot of confusion for everyone if the platform is not clearly identified and it makes searching very difficult if there is just a single "Siren" thread. Users will need to weed through everything to find information specific to the App they are working on.
2. There will likely be App specific bugs that Uniden may need to tweak the App for on specific Android hardware vendors. I do not expect this to much of a problem with IOS, but I know for a fact that there are many very small variations in the Android community that tend to be hardware/vendor specific that will need to be discussed and possibly be addressed.
3. There are WiFi specific issues with the scanner/dongle
4. There are Remote Access issues for the scanner than are user solutions like VPN access
5. (I believe) that Uniden has/had plans to allow Remote Access with a "Uniden" solution using some sort of servers and/or software that will allow simple remote access via the Siren App, if this is the case, this should be a sub thread.
6. There are likely networking issues that are not Uniden problems that other forum members can help with and offer solutions for
7. There will likely be bug reports, feature requests and so forth that would be easier to search and track from a specific sub thread rather than mixed into a more generic Tech Support thread.
8. Feature requests or bug fixes for the 546HP Networking, 536HP Wifi Dongle, Android App, IOS Siren App, Remote Access/Connection via VNP, Remote Access via Uniden Provided Network Solution if one ever comes about. User/Forum Member Network/Remote Access Tips, Tricks and Suggestions.

For example, I have 2 specific issues at the moment that should be addressed.

1. IOS Siren App IP Address window too narrow. You cannot see the full IP address unless you actually drill into the IP address setting. Just a simple window width correction.

2. Need the ability to configure a Static IP address for the WiFi dongle on the 536HP. This is a must have feature, do not need to hear about work around with router configurations as many situations/installations you will not have access to the router for configurations.

3. Consider offering a wired network Dongle as an option. This would increase the reliability of the network connection where a wired connection can easily be connected.

4. Seems that the scanner needs to be power cycled after the Wifi has been connected in order for the Siren App to connect. Not sure exactly what is going on here, will need to continue to test to see what is going on.

cessna_172

I'm 100% in agreement with the ability to assign the dongle a static IP. This was something I have needed to do since day one. Not all routers allow enough flexibility to assign static ip's through their configuration alone. I would think it should be simple enough to include that capability in future firmware updates.

garys

Premium Subscriber
If #4 refers to the Android version, I have not seen that at all. I have finally got to the point where I can set the 536 in my car on and have it connect whenever I have the Hot Spot turned on in my phone.

I don't think that a wired alternative would work all that well, unless a special cable was built that would charge/power the phone. I don't think that the USB port on the back of the 546 provides enough current for that.

That being said, it would be nice to use the 436HP with Android. Which would require cable interface. That would be very convenient for use in a rental car or other instance where mounting a 546HP is no feasible.

firemantom26

Premium Subscriber
IOS app newest version 1.1.2 will not work with Bluetooth. The previous version 1.0.9 did..

I reverted back to version 1.0.9 to stream Bluetooth in my car using VPN from my Asus router.

ColonelMike

Premium Subscriber
They are also ashamed of this app that it does not even have the same U in the logo as every other app they make. It's definitely been a failure. Only app on my phone with a 1 1/2 star rating and it's only there because I'm stupid enough to expect an update some day to make it useable.

firemantom26

Premium Subscriber
They are also ashamed of this app that it does not even have the same U in the logo as every other app they make. It's definitely been a failure. Only app on my phone with a 1 1/2 star rating and it's only there because I'm stupid enough to expect an update some day to make it useable.

Mine works fine for the most part with the older version. No major complaints

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

JamesO

I don't think that a wired alternative would work all that well, unless a special cable was built that would charge/power the phone. I don't think that the USB port on the back of the 546 provides enough current for that.

The wired comment I made was regarding a wired network or Ethernet dongle or adapter cable. FAR easier to code and set up than a wireless dongle. There are MANY situations where a wired network connection would be far simpler and more stable than a wireless interface.

Again, I will also state the need for Static IP addressing as well. This is something even my sub $100 tablets and almost ALL networking items I deal with on a daily basis support. There is a REAL need for Static IP addressing for connection stability and to allow for easier network configurations. This is a MUST HAVE feature, the problem is non networking people are likely writing the firmware for the platform and do not understand then need for this requirement.

Additionally, I think that IPV6 address support may be required in the near future as well.

W4ELL

Feed Provider
I see what you are saying... disregard my original post. Actually assigning an IP address via the scanner's front panel is what you mean.

Last edited:

garys

Premium Subscriber
So, you're referring to operation through a home (or other) network, and not mobile. At least that's what it seems like. I think the dongle/Siren system was conceived as primarily a mobile set up, but that's because that's how I always wanted to use it.

The display on my smart phone is so much better than the built in display, it's like having a completely different scanner.

I don't know that Uniden is interested in doing a cable connection now that the WiFi is working as they originally intended.

The wired comment I made was regarding a wired network or Ethernet dongle or adapter cable. FAR easier to code and set up than a wireless dongle. There are MANY situations where a wired network connection would be far simpler and more stable than a wireless interface.

Again, I will also state the need for Static IP addressing as well. This is something even my sub $100 tablets and almost ALL networking items I deal with on a daily basis support. There is a REAL need for Static IP addressing for connection stability and to allow for easier network configurations. This is a MUST HAVE feature, the problem is non networking people are likely writing the firmware for the platform and do not understand then need for this requirement.

Additionally, I think that IPV6 address support may be required in the near future as well.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I see what you are saying... disregard my original post. Actually assigning an IP address via the scanner's front panel is what you mean.

Uniden could allow for static IP entries via a FW update but that may confuse those not well versed with networking.

Your original solution of letting the router or DHCP server assign a reserved IP to the dongle based on the dongle's MAC address is probably the way to go.

I still wish they would come out with a hardwired ethernet dongle for those that can't use wireless for one reason or another.
And also a dongle that can utilize the 5 GHz band. 2.4 GHz is almost useless in an apartment complex with hundreds of 2.4 GHz routers and access points running.

JamesO

Uniden could allow for static IP entries via a FW update but that may confuse those not well versed with networking.[/QUOTE

No confusion, just default to DHCP and then have and Advanced Tab or Menu option that brings up Static and/or other Network configurations. Very simple and is done on almost every smart phone, tablet, printer and other network devices.

Your original solution of letting the router or DHCP server assign a reserved IP to the dongle based on the dongle's MAC address is probably the way to go..

Sorry, this is a cop out IMHO. Yes this can be done, BUT there are a number of reasons this is not always an option. Additionally, just because you can/could reserved the IP address based on a MAC address does not mean that a static IP configuration should not be an option. Think about every time your ISP "Resets" the router to factory defaults with or without your knowledge or when firmware updates are pushed and the router is "Reset" or in the case where maybe at work you "could" connect to a network, but you do not "manage" or have access to the router.

Static IP option is a MUST. It needs to be put on the TODO list and should not be so difficult.

I still wish they would come out with a hardwired Ethernet dongle for those that can't use wireless for one reason or another.

And also a dongle that can utilize the 5 GHz band. 2.4 GHz is almost useless in an apartment complex with hundreds of 2.4 GHz routers and access points running.

USB to Ethernet dongles are less than $4 is quantity. Uniden may want a higher quality interface that does not change over time. I would GLADLY pay $20-$45 for a wired Ethernet dongle from Uniden, I think many people would consider this as well.

One reason I would like a hard wired Ethernet Dongle is for remote Command Post type of situations, I could have the scanner in my truck hard wired to a router with DD-WRT or some other firmware, I could then easily use a SOHO router with antenna connections, then install a higher gain, external antenna and extend the range of my scanner to my portable "Remote Head" phone or tablet at an incident scene. Possibly I could do something similar with the Wifi connected to the router in the vehicle, but with all the other challenges, I would prefer to hard wire directly via Ethernet to the scanner.

Your comment about MDU, Apartments and Town Houses that are flooded with wireless interference is a real world issue and in this case I try to hard wire as much as I can.

There are man other reasons in Operations Centers where multiple scanners with wired interfaces AND Static IP Address things would be SO MUCH more reliable and easier to troubleshoot. I am also waiting for the PC over network control software that can interface to multiple 536HP's at once.

There is a LOT of penitential here if someone would just see the light.

n5ypj

Add the ability to use ethernet instead of wireless only. A line out / record jack as on the 996 is much needed. Configurable IP addresses and channels would be great too.

K0JWW

Siren Android App

I just got downloaded the Siren App for Android. It would appear that you can only use it when on a home WLAN. First of all, is there a way to use it remotely from anywhere? If there isn't, I'm going to have to find some sort of remote control solution away from home. Using the external IP address got me nowhere, and for good reason. That is essentially the external gateway to my home network. I can't think of any way to utilize advanced features of my router to make things work in that manner(port forwarding, etc) Are there any solutions to allow for remote control of the 536HP beyond a home wireless network? I must say, I am disappointed. I run a scanner feed through Broadcastify and if I was ever aware of a specific incident, I could use remote control to focus on that TG exclusively. Then I could return it to normal use afterwards. It would have something that my listeners could have benefited from. That and figuring out how to broadcast tags from the 536HP using the Vista computer I am using to run the feed (my laptops are either Windows 7 or 10). It seems like I am not able to do either at this point.

gonefishn1

This Siren APP certainly does need some attention and some labor dedicated to it. I wonder what Uniden is thinking or waiting for? Uniden needs to commit some resources to update the Siren APP.

garys

Premium Subscriber
Maybe you can list what you think needs fixing so the developer can look into them.

I've found two annoyances that I hope they will look at. First, the muting on the app can't be saved. Every time I restart the app, I have to remute the audio. Same thing for the squelch setting. If I change it on the app, the squelch reverts back to the previous setting on app restart.

Otherwise, I think it's a pretty good app. I mostly use it as a display because there is a lot more data displayed on Siren than on the built in scanner display.

This Siren APP certainly does need some attention and some labor dedicated to it. I wonder what Uniden is thinking or waiting for? Uniden needs to commit some resources to update the Siren APP.

Status
Not open for further replies.