Butler County, PA new system

Status
Not open for further replies.

radio3353

Replace it with what? Will the new system be simulcast (I did not bother to read the linked documents since I am nowhere near Butler Co.)? P25 Phase 2 simulcast systems can be very difficult to receive. Many threads about this.

rolesnevich

Premium Subscriber
The only mention I saw of Simulcast was with a tone and paging system. I also would not stake too much yet on the info as they are current in the bid seeking face which ends the end of the month. So who knows what changes. The only reason I think it comes online line sometime next year is the current dispatch panels are the end of life 2018 with no more spare from the manufacture.

As for how reliable. I wager whatever gets pick we be getting the input of at least two present of from chiefs. The Director of Emergency Management in butler county is also a Chief with on of departments. Also one of the county commissioners was a fire chief. I am not sure if he still an active member but he was when he was running. He was also a member of, and I think the president of the Butler county Chiefs association.

I figure I start a thread because I saw nothing about it here yet, But I am fairly certain something new will be in place within the next two years. According to one document they intent to award the contract in November 2016. So, I wager we have better concert data then.

rolesnevich

Premium Subscriber
Found an article in a local online news source.

The Cranberry Eagle Online
County officials got their first look Wednesday at proposals to install a new 911 communications system, but said the process of determining how many contracts to award companies competing for the work is just beginning.
Officials announced five separate proposals on Wednesday, but not all of the bidders were offering the same services or products for the project, which is being undertaken in part because of the current system’s “end-of-life” deadline.
The end of 2018 is when the county’s current system, which is made by Motorola, will stop receiving support from the company — that is, Motorola will no longer manufacture parts for hardware or develop fixes or updates for software components of the system.
The county also is working against the clock when it comes to the frequencies it uses to carry its radio traffic because of a 2012 federal law that requires T-band frequencies — which the county’s current system uses — to be vacated by 2022.
The intention of that law, the Middle Class Tax Relief Act, is to sell the frequencies to private companies like cell phone providers.
Two companies — Texas-based EF Johnson Technologies and Chicago-based Motorola — bid on the entire scope of the system replacement project.
That includes hardware like radios and computers, the software to run the system, and the on-site construction work necessary to convert the county’s current T-band radio towers to a digital system that uses different frequencies.
EF Johnson’s bid was announced as $13.42 million for the products, support and work to install the system; Motorola’s total bid value was announced as $16.26 million, but fell to $9.36 million due to discounts the company offered as part of its proposal.
Other bidders offered proposals addressing only specific portions of the work necessary to install a new 911 system.
Pittsburgh-based JG Contracting bid $459,520 to perform work converting the county’s radio tower sites to digital frequencies. Texas-based Microwave Networks bid $1.12 million to provide hardware and software — called a microwave network — to run the new communications system. California-based Avait Networks bid $1.51 million to provide a microwave network.
Butler County Director of Emergency Services Steve Bicehouse said the mix of bids is what county officials hoped to receive when they announced the project.
Bicehouse said he believes the county will get the best deal on a new system if bidders are competing against each other on every component of the system.
Bicehouse said the bids would be reviewed by the county’s radio advisory board — a group made up of fire, police and EMS representatives — as well as its communications council, which will then make recommendations to county commissioners on how to award one or more bidders a contract to replace the 911 system.
Commissioner Leslie Osche said that the board had estimated the costs of a new system at around $13 million, but never set a hard ceiling or “not to exceed” price in its discussions on the project.
Commissioners said Wednesday that they hope to make a final decision in the matter by December.
Officials have said that installing a new system could take between 18 and 24 months, which would take the county close to the 2018 deadline.

rolesnevich

Premium Subscriber
Nothing new on the radio system. Did find some info on dispatch side of things.

County public safety director stepping down; deputy to assume role | News | ncnewsonline.com

"The next biggest thing that we're involved with right now is our CAD system, our Computer Aided Dispatch system," he said. "That's a big undertaking. We're actually on a project right now with Mercer County, Butler County, Lawrence County and Venango County. We're all going with one system, a shared system, to save a little bit of money. It's what the future is coming to, for everyone.

Makes me wonder if there might not be interlink between the new butler system radio system and those counties as far as radio goes. All those counties are rural I believe and share a board with the northern parts of butler county which are also rural. As opposed to the southern end of the county.

Last edited:

Septa3371CSX1

Given that Lawrence is now on ICORRS I suspect these other counties (especially Butler) will build their future P25 systems off the ICORRS core. All of these counties I believe are part of Region 13.

jbantennaman

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I'm not quite sure what Butler County has to do with Lawrence County, since they are two entirely different entities. I would have to look closely to the demographics of the communities within the county and the funding available - since no one uses their own money anymore to build out a system.

I live in a relatively poor county where the police uses one system and the fire is still open analog.
The Fire Dispatch in Jefferson County won't go digital anytime soon, since there is no paid Firemen in Jefferson County. although Brookville Boro proposed paying 4 full time firemen to man the fire station - due to the fact that as a volunteer fire department - it is inefficient to rely solely on volunteers to respond during the daytime. The reason being that more and more people has to leave the county to find work and the Marcellus Shale Natural Gas - when working, drains the local pool of available people to respond. You can call out as many volunteers as you want, but you always need good trained personnel to drive and operate the truck! Not something a 16 - 18 yr old kid can do with a learners permit or Cinderella drivers license!

Because they are volunteer, they cannot afford to provide each fireman with their own personal radios and digital receivers. The analog scanner is still the most affordable way to go.
The police went digital, but you can still hear the Brookville Jerkoff from time to time writing up people as they come off the interstate on the blvd along RT 36...

Not much to listen to anymore except the amateur radio repeaters, not that anyone would want to waste their time listening to Chester and Whitey rag chew a couple of hours every morning on 146.565 simplex - with no identification.

The same holds true for Elk , Forrest, Clearfield, Clarion, Cameron county.

radio259

Allegheny county not in panic mode. Equipment is replaced as needed on T band. The alleged auction was determined to maybe at best, bring in 5% of the cost to relocate T band users. And no suitable spectrum available.

The word is, Wait till 1st Qtr of 2017. change is coming.

ffemt134

Allegheny county not in panic mode. Equipment is replaced as needed on T band. The alleged auction was determined to maybe at best, bring in 5% of the cost to relocate T band users. And no suitable spectrum available.

I was wondering about Allegheny myself---that would be a massive and expensive project if it doesn't get repealed.

rolesnevich

Premium Subscriber
Looks like the contract will be awarded by the end of the month.

911 call system to cost $10.3M - Butler Eagle Online

Also looks like the shifting of frequency may not be part of the initial contract.

Bicehouse said the county needs to award a contract for the radio system installation this year to take advantage of company discounts.
However, bids received for converting T-band radio sites to different frequencies does not have to be acted on until next year.

Drachen_Fire

I was at that Forum.

I have been able to confirm that the new system WILL NOT be a simulcast system. The paging simulcast for fire/EMS dispatch will be in the 450's or 460's. System is indeed scheduled to go live Q4 of 2018. It also appears if at least some of the police traffic is going to be encrypted.

Most of this Forum was about the financials.

Status
Not open for further replies.