New Radio Shack Scanner Stock Dwindling

Status
Not open for further replies.

trp2525

I've recently made the observation that the supply of brand-new scanners from Radio Shack appears to be dwindling on the Radio Shack website and also in their remaining stores. They currently have 5 scanners listed on their website (PRO-649, PRO-650, PRO-651, PRO-652 and PRO-668). Out of those 5 scanners the only one that is in-stock online is the PRO-651 handheld (comparable to the old PRO-106) with "only 2 left in stock" online. I also used the "find in store" feature for all 5 scanners and set the mileage distance from my zip code in Massachusetts to "no limit" and again the only scanner model showing any in-store inventory was the PRO-651. There were 3 stores listed that had in-store stock of the PRO-651 with 2 being in New York and 1 being in Pennsylvania. The closest Radio Shack in New York with stock is 170 miles from my zip code and the 3 stores that showed stock only had a total of 4 PRO-651s when you totaled the inventories of the 3 stores.

Another telltale sign that the current Radio Shack scanners may be disappearing is the fact that a basic scanner accessory such as the #2000546 Radio Shack USB-to-PC scanner programming cable (used for the current PRO-651 and PRO-652 and backwards-compatible with many older Radio Shack scanners) is out-of -stock online and there is no in-store inventory available anywhere according to the website. Whatever inventory that they had left of these cables after the bankruptcy proceedings must be gone with no new cables being manufactured and put into the sales pipeline.

Assuming the inventory information that is being reported on the Radio Shack website to be correct, it would appear that the inventory of all of the current Radio Shack scanners (all manufactured by Whistler) is dwindling and will possibly be depleted once all of the remaining stock is gone. That is just an assumption on my part based upon the information being presented on the Radio Shack website.

JSteel

Premium Subscriber
That's exactly why I hit up one of the remaining local stores yesterday to pick up the very-highly-touted 800MHz antenna... get it now before it's gone.

trp2525

That's exactly why I hit up one of the remaining local stores yesterday to pick up the very-highly-touted 800MHz antenna... get it now before it's gone.

I was surprised to see the Radio Shack 800 MHz antenna (#2000283) still available to order on the Radio Shack website (for $24.99) and also available at a local Radio Shack store 17 miles from my zip code which was showing 6 currently in stock.

https://www.radioshack.com/products/radioshack-800mhz-scanner-antenna?variant=5717063941

If you need one with an SMA connector and don't want to use a BNC-to-SMA adapter you might be better off with the Remtronix REM-800S for $21.95 plus $6.95 shipping: Remtronix REM-800B, Diamond REM-800S Scanner Antenna

marksmith

The Remtronics is available with both connectors and is the same antenna as the RS800. I own a bunch of both. As the RS800 seems to be going away, have seen crazy high prices online. Remtronics is i think the real manufacturer and price very steady from lots of places with lots of stock. So don't worry about the demise of the RS800. I was worried during the bankruptcy and picked up a half dozen (all they had left) at 70% off. My best ever RS Purchase.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
Talked to one of the 2 remaining corporate stores manager in my area last week, said hes had orders for digitals last 3 weeks, can't get any. Although I look online it claims they all have have em!

Aero125

Why would anyone want to buy a scanner at RS anymore? They are re-branded and often overpriced Whistler models with little or no support after purchase. We're already reading about lack of firmware upgrade abilities as well.

dkf435

Radio Shack needs to kill the PRO brand since they will and cannot service them and their vendor holds everybody hostage and will not touch them while at the same time selling their feature crippled junk through Radio Shack while both make a profit at every step from the unsuspecting public.

David

RRR

Premium Subscriber
I thought Radio Shack proper was basically out of business now?

TAbirdman

Radio Shack needs to kill the PRO brand since they will and cannot service them and their vendor holds everybody hostage and will not touch them while at the same time selling their feature crippled junk through Radio Shack while both make a profit at every step from the unsuspecting public.

David

Well Dave, looking at your signature it seems you have a lot of "crippled junk". :)

dkf435

Well Dave, looking at your signature it seems you have a lot of "crippled junk". :)

Have lots of different stuff have never had to send any of the AORs back or any of the Radio Shack stuff, have always fixed stuff myself or have gotten stuff at sale prices where you have a backup parts radio for less then the repair cost.

But for Whistler and Radio Shack to continue the PRO 668 sales without a notice of no repair available or upgrades is deception.

David

trp2525

Talked to one of the 2 remaining corporate stores manager in my area last week, said hes had orders for digitals last 3 weeks, can't get any...

Not surprising as the Radio Shack website now lists all 5 Radio Shack scanner models (PRO-649, PRO-650, PRO-651, PRO-652 and PRO-668) as "Only available in stores." If they had any remaining scanner inventory available in their warehouse(s)/distribution center(s) you would think that they would have the scanners available for direct sale on their website.

marksmith

But for Whistler and Radio Shack to continue the PRO 668 sales without a notice of no repair available or upgrades is deception.

David

As usual, let the buyer beware. Any informed or intelligent buyers would not even be considering Radio Shack scanners unless they are available at half price or some other compelling reason.

Mark
WS1095/536/436/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/325P2/396XT/PRO668/PSR800/PRO652

TAbirdman

David

Guys, Can't blame Whistler in any of this. Its all on RS! Its their product made for them, if they decide not to support it, that's their decision to make, no one else's.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
When RS contracted with companies to produce "branded" stuff, they got the lowest possible price by assuming the entire burden of warranty. This relieved the manufacturer of all liability and any subsequent expenses.

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Not surprising as the Radio Shack website now lists all 5 Radio Shack scanner models (PRO-649, PRO-650, PRO-651, PRO-652 and PRO-668) as "Only available in stores." If they had any remaining scanner inventory available in their warehouse(s)/distribution center(s) you would think that they would have the scanners available for direct sale on their website.
Hello,

It seems you can not do a search for scanner inventory in the stores now. The link just comes up with a straight list of stores with no indication of stock levels.

73 Eric

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
I searched pro 651, 652, 668 and it showed three locations, one I mentioned earlier can't get em in, another that was closed earlier in the month and one nearest me. Same thing for the programming cable and 800 antenna.
Key item is 'only available in stores' and it doesn't show about actually finding stores in the area that has them anymore, only a link to a list of stores in the area.

Possibilities?
Whistler cut em off,maybe didn't want to continue production lines for their radios and rs?
Maybe transitioning to Whistlers newer line of radios?
Maybe radio shack getting out of the 'radio' business?

trp2525

Possibilities?
Whistler cut em off,maybe didn't want to continue production lines for their radios and rs?
Maybe transitioning to Whistlers newer line of radios?
Maybe radio shack getting out of the 'radio' business?

As I posted in post #1 of this thread I believe that Radio Shack has only their current scanner inventory in their stores for sale and that there is no new inventory coming into the sales pipeline. I base that on the fact that Radio Shack has none of their 5 scanners for sale on their website. What business entity in 2016 would not utilize all available sales channels in order to move their inventory (assuming that they have inventory), especially with the dominance of e-commerce these days?

If Radio Shack does "transition to Whistlers newer line of radios" as you state as a possibility, I believe that IF that were to occur they would only be sold under the Whistler brand name and not be re-badged under the Radio Shack name. I recall reading in another post here at RR either in the Radio Shack forum or Whistler forum that Whistler was no longer interested in producing re-badged scanners. IIRC the person who posted that information had spoken directly with someone from Whistler regarding that topic and that is what he was told.

Status
Not open for further replies.