Someone is rebroadcasting my feed on their website without my consent, what can I do

Status
Not open for further replies.

Indianabrad

Feed Provider
I am in the news business and I have a page on my website for people to listen to my RR scanner feed. Recently I found out that the other newspaper in my town is using my scanner feed on their site without my permission. I did some testing to make sure that it is my feed they are using. I turned off my feed and shortly after their player stopped running and could not be restated even with a page refresh, I also turned my feed back on and it started working on their site again. This told me that they are definitely using my feed. I realize that I do not own the content of my public safety feed, but I am the provider of the feed, so the feed is mine. What rights do I have to make them stop using my feed on their website? Right now I have the feed off and I am completing what to do next and hoping to hear back from you guys on here. I will take legal action against them if I should/need to.

cpetraglia

I don't see a problem with it. Everybody is re-broadcasting a PS agency these days anyway. Do YOU have permission to re-broadcast the PS content to start with? If not, why would they need permission?
It's just a matter of time before it becomes secure, so no one will be listening to any of it. !!

an39511

A few suggestions;
* If you are broadcasting metadata you could put something in the tag that identifies your business. You can do this with RadioFeed and ProScan.

and/or

* You could make the feed private and only give access through your webpage. Of course this presumes you have the bandwidth to support multiple streams.

or

* Move your feed to any number of other sites that offer audio streaming.

Blackswan73

For your info, every scanner app out there is also rebroadcasting your feed as well. Since you are not the originator of the broadcasts, and are in fact just a rebroadcaster, your feed is available to anyone who wants to use it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Indianabrad

Feed Provider
Thanks, can you elaborate on some of the things you said. Also just for you guys info, my media offering to my area has only been around foe 6 yrs. The other paper has been in the area for over 100 years. People told me they liked my news site better and that they were low lifes, but this is pretty damn low. RR offers API website keys but this does litter if someone steals your feed by other means.

Last edited:

Indianabrad

Feed Provider
A few suggestions;
* If you are broadcasting metadata you could put something in the tag that identifies your business. You can do this with RadioFeed and ProScan.

and/or

* You could make the feed private and only give access through your webpage. Of course this presumes you have the bandwidth to support multiple streams.

or

* Move your feed to any number of other sites that offer audio streaming.
They are using differant player then the RR one, so I do not think that metadata would show up

Indianabrad

Feed Provider
For your info, every scanner app out there is also rebroadcasting your feed as well. Since you are not the originator of the broadcasts, and ate in fact just a rebroadcaster, your feed is available to anyone who wants to use it.

This has to do with someone in competition with me, stealing my service that I provide to the public so that I won't have one up on them.

Insist on the other paper provide the credit/source for the feed,
just like the major news org's always credit Brodcastify...
Best you may be able to gain..If no credit, Suspend the feed or
ask the IT person if it can be moved to the login side of the site,
granted if you have that set up..
Put in the TOS that No rebroadcasting of Your feed is permitted.
If they violate, suspend the acct and your G-2-G...
yes..its involved, but to C-Y-A and keep the other papyrus pirates
off your stern....it may work...

lindsay34654

I am in the news business and I have a page on my website for people to listen to my RR scanner feed. Recently I found out that the other newspaper in my town is using my scanner feed on their site without my permission. I did some testing to make sure that it is my feed they are using. I turned off my feed and shortly after their player stopped running and could not be restated even with a page refresh, I also turned my feed back on and it started working on their site again. This told me that they are definitely using my feed. I realize that I do not own the content of my public safety feed, but I am the provider of the feed, so the feed is mine. What rights do I have to make them stop using my feed on their website? Right now I have the feed off and I am completing what to do next and hoping to hear back from you guys on here. I will take legal action against them if I should/need to.

Ok 1 We all know-that YOU SELL NEWSPAPERS. 2 what legal action can you bring? You are re broadcasting a feed that you do not own, The PS broadcast is owned by the licencee which I had to pust your bubble not you. Do you own the right to re broadcast someone else's transmission? another words did the department GIVE YOU PERMISSION?

Sell your newspapers while you listen to your scanner and be happy. Whining will get you know where.
your argument is petty.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
Recently I found out that the other newspaper in my town is using my scanner feed on their site without my permission.

I will take legal action against them if I should/need to.

Don't think you can take legal action for something you may not have expressed permission to be rebroadcasting in the first place. But its not my argument...

A few suggestions;

You should put this in " Attention, xxx news is stealing this feed provided by www.yoursite.com. or xxx news sucks. Isint it about free speech? lol

You could also change your content to taxi cabs or something that no one would listen to.. They, if they are not reading here, might take it down.

For your info, every scanner app out there is also rebroadcasting your feed as well.

A scanner app can only receive. It can not rebroadcast... The site that the app pulls from may be rebroadcasting, but not the app itself.

Last edited:
Could use a grammar check...

"stream it on to internet ourselves"...

-stream it onto the internet.....

Seems like overkill..and a lil emotional..

Last edited:

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
As others have said, it's not your communications, so it's not yours to get uppity about someone else "stealing".

I also suggest if you want to be taken seriously as a news source, get rid of incorrectly spelled words like "their's", and sentence fragments like "takes the cake".

NC1

You can make them remove your feed all by themselves, and get free advertising from them too.

Here is how:

Add another frequency to your scanner, make it an FRS frequency.
Key up on your FRS radio using that FRS frequency and announce as follows:

THIS SCANNER FEED IS BROUGHT TO YOU BY XXXXXXX NEWS SERVICE! We hope you are all enjoying this feed, courtesy of XXXXXXX NEWS SERVICE.

Announce that every 30 minutes or so and wait until they remove it from their site.

LOL ;)

wtp

one up

it is a computer.
it should be stereo so...
can't you put the radio audio on one side and a loop of "this feed is being brought to you by" on the other ?
enjoy.

Indianabrad

Feed Provider
After confronting the offending website (Rensselaer Republican Newspaper) by email that they were using our Scanner Feed without authorization, they agreed to remove our Scanner Feed from their site and we have brought our feed back up on our website as of 12:30 pm CST. 9/14/16. They said that they were taken by someone selling scanner feeds and that they didn't know they were using mine. I don't know whether to believe that or not. Anyway thanks everyone for your replies and I am looking into how to broadcast feed ownership about every 15 minutes on the feed, which I have not found a way to do yet.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
The sad fact is that it's not your feed. The audio server is owned (rented) by RadioReference, and once it is delivered to that server, your control over that feed disappears.

That said, Radio Reference allows the feed provider to mirror the feed on their own site using approved scripts that provide advertising for RR. The lack of any RR reference by using a third party software, and the lack of permission to stream the feed could be actionable by RR as the use of the bandwidth could possibly be considered theft of services. Of course if it went to court and a settlement was awarded to RR, you wouldn't see a penny.

lindsay34654

After confronting the offending website (Rensselaer Republican Newspaper) by email that they were using our Scanner Feed without authorization, they agreed to remove our Scanner Feed from their site and we have brought our feed back up on our website as of 12:30 pm CST. 9/14/16. They said that they were taken by someone selling scanner feeds and that they didn't know they were using mine. I don't know whether to believe that or not. Anyway thanks everyone for your replies and I am looking into how to broadcast feed ownership about every 15 minutes on the feed, which I have not found a way to do yet.

Are you really this childish or is it you just cannot read? IT IS NOT YOUR'S TO SAY WHO CAN AND WHO CANNOT USE THE FEED. why do you think you own it, did you PAY for the right to the feed, are they copying any advertising that you have on your site? YOU OWN NOTHING HOW HARD IS THAT TO UNDERSTAND. You have too much time on your hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.