NJSP from Philly

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC2GVX

Premium Subscriber
I will be spending a week at University of Pennsylvania next week for surgery. I am bringing my BCD325P2 to monitor the Philly P25 system. I am also bringing my PRO 97 to monitor the routine hospital maintenance, security, and other conventional stuff. I would like to listen to the NJSP as I live in NJ. Which set of frequencies should I program to pick up while in Philly?

Septa3371CSX1

I will be spending a week at University of Pennsylvania next week for surgery. I am bringing my BCD325P2 to monitor the Philly P25 system. I am also bringing my PRO 97 to monitor the routine hospital maintenance, security, and other conventional stuff. I would like to listen to the NJSP as I live in NJ. Which set of frequencies should I program to pick up while in Philly?

Troop A (South Simulcast) would be the one to plug in.

KC2GVX

Premium Subscriber
The original post is mine, and I programmed all the hospital stuff I wanted. This was a new question- one that dealt with the NJSP, which I never asked prior.

phillydjdan

To answer your question, I doubt you would get NJSP from Upenn with a scanner. If you do, you would be lucky. Anything's possible though.

radio3353

Elevation may be his friend in this case if he can get the radio near a window.

Wonder if EMI/RFI will be a problem in a hospital setting?

KC2GVX

Premium Subscriber
So I am on the 12th floor of the Silverstein tower. I can pick up NJSP fine and the Septa system, but the Philly P25 system is really hard to pick up. I am close to the window.

Septa3371CSX1

So I am on the 12th floor of the Silverstein tower. I can pick up NJSP fine and the Septa system, but the Philly P25 system is really hard to pick up. I am close to the window.

That's the downside of an LSM system. Being on the 12th floor and knowing your location you are right in between two towers. The elevation only exacerbates the problem as you could also be getting other sites. If I were to bring my XTS up there it would receive perfectly fine.

phillydjdan

Exactly right, blame LSM distortion for your woes wit Philly. The scanners can't handle it.

KC2GVX

Premium Subscriber
So, is there anything I can do? Am I stuck with hospital conventional, NJSP & Septa's system.

trap5858

Premium Subscriber
Try taking the antenna off- sometimes you can receive just fine in such a rich environment. Removing the antenna will attenuate the signal considerably. Worth a try. Best wishes for a quick recovery.

Also, SEPTA police used to simulcast Philly J band- not sure if they are still doing it.

saber2k5

Yes, I am sure the nurses on Silver 12 won't mind if you hook up a yagi to your hospital bed :)
Try turning on attenuation, and play with DSP level settings (or equivalent for that model). Only other thing that might work is lay scanner on its side and point it towards either 1-the airport, 2-center city, or 3-Roxboro.

Status
Not open for further replies.