Portland PD

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulNDaOC

Can you rephrase your question, not sure what information your seeking.

Operationally or dispatch?

Otto

All cars working out of North Precinct are dispatched on North Talkgroup. The Northeast Talkgroup is no longer used.
No other precincts are on the North Talkgroup.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
All cars working out of North Precinct are dispatched on North Talkgroup. The Northeast Talkgroup is no longer used.
No other precincts are on the North Talkgroup.
Just curious, is Portland Phase 1 or 2 ? Just trying to figure out if my current scanner would do the job when I move? Thanks. 73, n9zas

PaulNDaOC

If you have a analog trunking scanner that is able to do 800mhz rebanding systems your good for now, but not for too long.

Not sure when the Phase 2 system that incorporates new freqs in the 700mhz band will be rolled out for first responder use, but a friend that works up at BOEC has already been issued a new packset and turned sent in his 800 packset off to the great big Motorola scrap heap in the sky.

Baker845

Portland Fire/Police have been upgrading there radio's for last 2 years. I don't think its because of the new system, it mainly the radio's they have been using were over 20 years old and lack the requirements.

PaulNDaOC

Portland Fire/Police have been upgrading there radio's for last 2 years. I don't think its because of the new system, it mainly the radio's they have been using were over 20 years old and lack the requirements.

Can't say for certain what PPB and PFB have received recently, but the packset as well as mobile my friend at BOEC was issued does function on the old as well as new 700/800 system in the process of being built and tested.

Some public safety talkgroups are simulcast on the new system as well as talkgroups for Motorola use etc..

I will see if I can squeeze a cut-over date from him.

PaulNDaOC

Here is the latest info soon to be released to system users.

The transition/cut-over will begin in October and will have two phases as was made necessary, as the new digital system will eventually include frequencies that are not utilized by the current analog system.

Part One- Users will move in small groups of users to a temporary P-25 setup and as use of the analog system declines those frequencies will be worked into what will be the final phase.

During this transition nets will be simulcast on both analog and digital systems, just as was done when the 800 system was brought online.

New talkgroup ID's seen during the first phase will not necessarily be the same when the cut-over has been completed.

Part Two- Once all users are on the makeshift digital setup, radios will be flashed and have the final load installed that incorporates all 700/800 frequencies to be used.

Good news. No plans have been made to encrypt any of the nets for the forseen future. There will be encrypted talkgroups from tactical and investigatory uses. Fire and EMS will not have this function in their radios.

There is a east and west simulcast system, plus four smaller fill-in sites that will function like the current intellirepeaters. Those four will be PCC Sylvania, Corn Pass, Forest Hts, and Goat Mtn.

I'm hoping to get some more specific user group cutover dates in the near future.

Last edited:

Otto

ok, thanks. Guess I need to spend some more. :( Thanks. 73, n9zas

Me too. I've been listening to the Portland TRS with my trusty 246T for nearly 13 years now. All the numbers are worn off the keypad, LOL. Gonna have to shopping for a P2 handheld in the future.

(I have a HP2, but it's mounted as a mobile, and not really a handheld model per say)

PaulNDaOC

Just a few more bits of info:

All users should be using digital talkgroups just before Christsmas.

The new system will benefit from improvements made to the audio quality of digital transmissions and if true in practice is going to be great for monitoring.

I was able to hear a test recording of P25 on the 700/800 and it didn't even occur to me it was digital, it sounded that good. If I really listened I could tell it was digital, like a cell phone,, not the robotic audio I have come to expect. I hope this really is the case after cut-over.

Last but not least, the new system in testing is providing better coverage around town versus the analog system, and isn't plagued with all the dead spots you have likely heard about for years on the analog 800.

A few minor problems are on the back side of a few large buildings downtown and some interior elevators in bigger buildings.

To address this in those building where 911 visits regularly, could find radio relays fill-in coverage where needed.

ChrisP

Premium Subscriber
PaulNDaOG,

I can confirm that the current coverage of the 700/800 P25 sites around Portland is very good, and for the audio on the un-encrypted activity I've heard so far, it has been excellent as well.

- Chris

chucktate

Radio to purchase

For Portland and Statewide when that is complete, I should get this UNIDEN BCD436HP ? Will this take care of me for quite some time? I bought my BC 245XLT in the mid 90's and I still use it :) Is there anything in the near future that will make the 436 obsolete ?

I've noticed that the North Dispatch goes quiet sometimes. Are they switching over to the new system to test it for parts of the day?

Thanks.

ChrisP

Premium Subscriber
I've noticed that the North Dispatch goes quiet sometimes. Are they switching over to the new system to test it for parts of the day?

Thanks.

Don't think so. I haven't seen that TG active on the P-25 side. I've been listening as well as logging activity with PRO96COM. The only PPB activity I've seen on the digital side has been Service Net and the tactical encrypted talk groups.

Multnomah County Fire dispatch and OPS 1 is being heard pretty regularly as well...

- Chris

ChrisP

Premium Subscriber
Are they using Service Net to test? I notice activity on both the old and new system.

Well, I don't know if they have it set to simulcast on both the analog system and the digital side, or someone has a radio affiliated on the Service Net talk group on the digital side.

There is plenty of activity over on the digital side of the system, and has been for a while now, so I don't know how much "testing" they need to do.

- Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.