Interesting article regarding Newberg dispatch center's future

Status
Not open for further replies.

oregontreehugger

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for sharing the article. :)

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Newberg shutters their dispatch center in the not-too-distant future.

Jumping on the WCCCA radio infrastructure was the first step in that direction, the Newberg Fire and TVFR contract the second step, and the recent WCCCA bond measure for radio upgrades is probably the final push.

taborj

I'm inclined to agree with you. It'll be interesting to see how it all shakes out (and at what cost).

GrumpyGuard

I don't understand how a small town can afford the luxury of having its own dispatch center. The smart thing would be to consolidate with either YCOM or WCCCA. The records thing is B.S. There is no reason the information can't be transferred to WCCCA and the dispatchers could still do the data entry from the remote location. The savings are substantial and WCCCA could absorb some of the dispatcher currently working for NDPD, as the workload would increase for WCCCA.

taborj

I don't understand how a small town can afford the luxury of having its own dispatch center. ...

That's easy; we don't want none of them city folk tellin' us what ta do.

Seriously, though, I'm not sure how it's persisted this long, other than the fact that we shared it with the sprawling metropolis of Dundee, thus deferring some of the cost.

I'd be surprised if it survives much longer.

nightfoam

Premium Subscriber
I don't understand how a small town can afford the luxury of having its own dispatch center. The smart thing would be to consolidate with either YCOM or WCCCA. The records thing is B.S. There is no reason the information can't be transferred to WCCCA and the dispatchers could still do the data entry from the remote location. The savings are substantial and WCCCA could absorb some of the dispatcher currently working for NDPD, as the workload would increase for WCCCA.
Except that WCCCA doesn't do the records stuff. They make their agencies do their own. Some of the smaller agencies contract with bigger agencies for after hours stuff but it's all up to them, WCCCA doesn't partake.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.