• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Baofeng UV-5R scanning

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
I have a scanner, it wont scan channels, any ideas how to fix this?

OH boy, that is a tough one. I am not sure what you mean. First, Baofengs are not scanners if that is what you mean. Channels? have you programmed frequencies into memory [aka channels] or are you trying to scan in VFO. Please, please, provide a lot more information. Start with radio/scanner you are using and what channels/frequencies you are trying to "scan". Also, what country are you in? KIWI may imply New Zealand so this may change the proper use of a Baofeng or scanner or channels or frequencies.

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
With the information you've provided, there are only two possible answers.

1. You're doing something wrong
2. The radio is faulty

Baphomet

I'm a total noob when it comes to ham radio. I was thinking of buying Baofeng UV-5R to try to listen ambulance, fire dept. police and from what I've seen on the videos you have to know their exact frequency and program it using PC. So it can't search frequencies on it's own like usual radio?

Also is NooElec RTL-SDR, FM+DAB better?

nd5y

Baofeng radios only scan/search 3 channels per second. That's way too slow to be useful for searching.
The upper and lower search limits are not keyboard programmable.
If you want to search for unknown signals then a SDR dongle would be better.

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
Ham radio (or more properly amateur radio) involves transmitting. In order to do so legally, you need to obtain a license and a unique call sign from your local government. By international agreement, there are standards which must be met, so there are exams.

If you're just listening, then you're 'scanning'.

The cheap Baofengs are transmitters that cover the VHF and UHF ham radio bands. That's what they were designed for. As nd5y points out, for scanning, they aren't a good choice. The only reason they are so popular for scanning is that they're so inexpensive.

I'd go for the dongle..

Last edited:

12dbsinad

They work OK if you are only planning on scanning a half dozen channels or so. Any more than that it becomes painfully slow like the others stated. I would consider upping the bar a little bit if you want to scan. Plus you would get into the ability to add and delete channels from the front panel, which is VERY useful.

12dbsinad

Do you have any recommendations?

If your only intention is to scan and you aren't going to actually transmit, get your ham license, etc, than a dongle would be your best bet. I'm not sure what your area has for systems, but a cheap ham radio like these will only do conventional analog. If you have any digital systems you are out of luck. The dongle on the other hand will open you up to all kinds of possibilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.