x36 Sentinel Creating New Profiles

Status
Not open for further replies.

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
I like the Sentinel program. That being said, sometimes I get frustrated when things don't seem as straight forward (as I believe they should be, LOL).

I would like to create another profile in Sentinel. I have multiple Favorites Lists, set up for other people. I would like to crate additional Profiles to have their display info, such as name and phone number, already on file.

When I click the open folder box, I see the profile I work off of and one labeled "preset". I see a Create New Profile box to the bottom left and Delete Profile to the right of that. I am unable to select Create New Profile.

How do you create a new profile in Sentinel?

Thanks!

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
Well, now I feel more like an idiot. I wish it wasn't that simple! Thanks for your help. :lol:

Heidi750

Premium Subscriber
Don't feel bad ....

I went into new profiles (thinking I could create a different profile) for each part of the country.
However when I deleted favorite lists I didn't need in one profile ... It deleted the favorite list from all profiles.

Is there a way to do that besides going through the process of downloading the favorites and monitoring them ... or do I have to have a separate sim card for each part of the country?

Now to reprogram the favorite files I deleted :(

Heidi750

Premium Subscriber
Disregard Above ...
I did some searching and found this post:
It seems to work.

Another option (assuming you have assigned Quick Keys to Favorites Lists):

In Sentinel, Edit the 436 Profile and go to the Quick Keys Status tab. Check only those Quick Keys for the Favorites Lists you wish to be "active" on the 436. Then do a write to scanner. Do the same for the 536 profile.

What this does is establish whether the FLQK is On or Off by default. On means the FLs are scanned, Off means they are not scanned until you turn the FLQK on via the keypad.

That way the FLs are downloaded and available on both scanners should the situation arise you want to scan them. It's just a matter of turning the desired FL Quick Key on.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Before you re-create your deleted Favorites Lists, you might visit the Recycle Bin and see if you can't recover them. They will be file names such as "F*.HPD".

I'm in a similar situation as I have a number of Favorites Lists many of which are applicable to certain areas of the country. I use different profiles for different areas of the country and include the appropriate Favorites Lists.

There are numerous approaches.

My preference is this. Each of my Favorites Lists has its own Favorites List Quick Key. I'll use the profile editor to edit each profile. I'll go to the Quick Keys Status tab and check only those Quick Keys associated with the Favorites Lists I wish to monitor in that profile. This turns off the Favorites List(s) for that profile.

You could also set the Monitor Off in the profile editor for all the non-applicable Favorites Lists. (But then you got to remember to Download on for different profiles).

Another way is to turn Location Control On for each Favorites List. Then when you get to a different location, change the zip code to the one for that area. From that point, the scanner will turn on Favorites Lists appropriate to the area and turn off the other FLs. Other than for having to know the applicable zip code for each location, this method has the least amount of fuss or muss.

All three of these methods will have every Favorites List being programmed into your scanner. It's a case of them being turned off until something is done to turn them on.

You could however do a variant of the second, that being set Download Off for the Favorites List. In this case the FLs are not programmed to the scanner. The downside is that if you make an error and really meant for a given FL to "be there" you are out of luck, unless you've brought programming "stuff" (computer with Sentinel, cable, etc) with you on your trip.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I was typing the above when you posted #5. I'm happy that you are getting consistent advice and great minds are thinking alike!

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
SD Card

I like the Sentinel program. That being said, sometimes I get frustrated when things don't seem as straight forward (as I believe they should be, LOL).

I would like to create another profile in Sentinel. I have multiple Favorites Lists, set up for other people. I would like to crate additional Profiles to have their display info, such as name and phone number, already on file.

When I click the open folder box, I see the profile I work off of and one labeled "preset". I see a Create New Profile box to the bottom left and Delete Profile to the right of that. I am unable to select Create New Profile.

How do you create a new profile in Sentinel?

Thanks!

I detest the Uniden memory structure. I prefer the GRE/Whistler V-folders and scan lists, much better system in my opinion.

I gave up attempting to have different profiles designated for the various scanning environments I listen to across the country. I assign configuration keys for each favorite list. Then, I can toggle these on and off. I buy a completely different SD card for each scanning environment. Then, you can have completely different favorites, no overlap. For instance, I have a completely different SD card for Houston, Texas. When I am in Houston, I remove the SD card from home and pop in the SD card for Houston. It works well for me.

I have yet to master the architecture of the Uniden memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.