• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Know of any current magazines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Borderland420

Do any of you out there know of any magazines, ezines, or online newsletters currently in production that focus on the concept of CB radio or basically two way radios in general? I'm new to this as a personal interest and want to stay on top of all the best news, products, events and resources related to it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Do any of you out there know of any magazines, ezines, or online newsletters currently in production that focus on the concept of CB radio or basically two way radios in general? I'm new to this as a personal interest and want to stay on top of all the best news, products, events and resources related to it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
. While definitely not current, there was the publication of S9 which was popular. unless I'm mistaken, I think Tom Kneitel was the editor. I'll bet there's still some copies lurking around. Popular Communication came after and covered Cb and everything else. :). 73, n9zas

TheSpaceMann

. While definitely not current, there was the publication of S9 which was popular. unless I'm mistaken, I think Tom Kneitel was the editor. I'll bet there's still some copies lurking around. Popular Communication came after and covered Cb and everything else. :). 73, n9zas
American Radio History: Documenting the History of Radio TV and FM broadcasting has an electronic magazine archive! It includes Popular Electronics, Electronics Illustrated, and many other magazines, with loads of articles and projects about CB radio! :)

PACNWDude

Thank you for sharing. This looks like a good source of information for American CB radio.

I have seen a lot for European and Australian CB, but also wanted to see what was going on in America in 2016.

TheSpaceMann

Thank you for sharing. This looks like a good source of information for American CB radio.

I have seen a lot for European and Australian CB, but also wanted to see what was going on in America in 2016.
Anytime! On that site you can actually look up magazines from the '60s and ''70s, when CB was first starting out in the US!!

gewecke

Banned
Anytime! On that site you can actually look up magazines from the '60s and ''70s, when CB was first starting out in the US!!
. 1958 or '59 if I recall is when 11 meters 26.955 to 27.255 was swiped from the hams and authorized as a Citizens band. Been a little long in the tooth since then... 73, n9zas

TheSpaceMann

. 1958 or '59 if I recall is when 11 meters 26.955 to 27.255 was swiped from the hams and authorized as a Citizens band. Been a little long in the tooth since then... 73, n9zas
Yep, and if you check the archives for electronics magazines after CB was created, you'll see the original radios and articles describing how the CB craze took off and progressed.

gewecke

Banned
Yep, and if you check the archives for electronics magazines after CB was created, you'll see the original radios and articles describing how the CB craze took off and progressed.
Somewhere in the mid 70's I had my subscription to S9 and Pop Electronics but I wasn't into the craze like the rest of you. There were 3 of us who would talk split on Ssb in the evening on 20/39 Usb, til ham sounded like a better idea. I do miss my tube chrome Regency Romper and my SBE Console II. 73, n9zas

TheSpaceMann

Somewhere in the mid 70's I had my subscription to S9 and Pop Electronics but I wasn't into the craze like the rest of you. There were 3 of us who would talk split on Ssb in the evening on 20/39 Usb, til ham sounded like a better idea. I do miss my tube chrome Regency Romper and my SBE Console II. 73, n9zas
I jumped up to ham as well, but there's no reason you can't drag those old radios out of the attic, dust them off, and fire therm up! I was surprised to hear some people back on the air that I haven't heard for years!! :)

American Radio History: Documenting the History of Radio TV and FM broadcasting has an electronic magazine archive! It includes Popular Electronics, Electronics Illustrated, and many other magazines, with loads of articles and projects about CB radio! :)
I'd like to thank you for this link. I'd been looking for a good online archive of Popular Communications magazine and this site had exactly what I was looking for. I used to pick those up at the local newsstand as a teen in the late 80s. It's 1988 here all over again - good memories!

Thanks again.

Chris
KF4FMK

TheSpaceMann

I'd like to thank you for this link. I'd been looking for a good online archive of Popular Communications magazine and this site had exactly what I was looking for. I used to pick those up at the local newsstand as a teen in the late 80s. It's 1988 here all over again - good memories!

Thanks again.

Chris
KF4FMK
You're welcome! I loved Electronics Illustrated and Radio TV Experimenter from the same era. They had tons of articles and projects that one could build, for both CBers and amateur radio ops! Some of those older issues from back in the '60s and '70s were really amazing!! .:)

JayMojave

Hello All: QST Magazine is the Ham radio monthly magazine, and it covers many types of things and subjects in the ham radio world. See: QST

I subscribe and get a lot of good info in the technical articles and such. The ARRL who publishes QST Magazine steers clear of anything CB related, and usually only lists CB'ers who have been notified by the FCC for violations. Kind of a shame since so many new and old hams are former CB Radio dudes.

The ARRL in my opinion should have on line videos showing radio usage and teaching the license materials helping out the newbies, and Hams wanting to upgrade their License. Free of charge, to help out getting new folks into the hobby. Even a monthly article for the new guys, referencing web sites and such.

Here are some older CB magazines that have great articles.
Vintage Publications Index

Jay in the Great Mojave Desert

Status
Not open for further replies.