• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Type II Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

N4KVE

I was wondering how to calculate the input channels of a VHF Type II system so as to listen to the MSUs transmitting to the tower.

TIA
Greg
There is no formula like for UHF which is 5 MHz, or 800 which is 45 MHz. There is no set split. Every freq could be different.

riveter

Premium Subscriber
There will still be a bandplan. Every RF channel (freq pair) assigned in a Moto system has to be assigned a bandplan entry, even if it's the only RF channel referencing that entry.

You gotta sniff it with a system decoder such as Pro96Com or Unitrunker to get the bandplan... then you should be able to figure it out. The split is listed in the bandplan based on difference from the base radio TX freq in MHz. If you know what the output frequency is and the bandplan line referenced for that RF channel, you can get the input by applying the split in that line.

So, just for wild weird example, if the system reports output freq 154.010 as using bandplan line/entry 2, and the bandplan reads (abbreviated):
1 | whatever base freq | -1.5MHz offset
2 | whatever base freq | -1.1MHz offset
by applying entry 2 to 154.010, you get an input frequency of 152.910 MHz.

Last edited:

slicerwizard

I was wondering how to calculate the input channels of a VHF Type II system so as to listen to the MSUs transmitting to the tower.
The input channels for the system in question are probably already known here, but you're being cagey...

So, just for wild weird example, if the system reports output freq 154.010 as using bandplan line/entry 2,
Type II systems report no such thing.

riveter

Premium Subscriber
You know what, slicer, you're absolutely right. I lost my brain, and you called me for it- thank you. Please disregard the above.

Status
Not open for further replies.