• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTS5000 Flashing

Status
Not open for further replies.

underlift

I have a xts5000 m2 that I bought and i'm looking to flash for 9600 baud trunking but I require the flash file if anyone can direct me in locating it or anyone who can perform this, willing to pay, you can private message me or post reply, thanks for any help

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
I have a xts5000 m2 that I bought and i'm looking to flash for 9600 baud trunking but I require the flash file if anyone can direct me in locating it or anyone who can perform this, willing to pay, you can private message me or post reply, thanks for any help

Not quite as easy as having the flash file, you also have to have a flash key. Both have to be configured specifically for the radio you have in it's current state.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Not quite as easy as having the flash file, you also have to have a flash key. Both have to be configured specifically for the radio you have in it's current state.

Right, and that comes from Motorola.
Before you chase this too far, take a look at prices of used XTS-5000's. Find one that has the flashcode you need, it could be cheaper to buy a used radio with what you need rather than trying to reflash an existing radio.

N4KVE

While we can not talk about magic CPS, whenever I need a different flash code, or FW upgrade, I visit a friend, tell him what flash code I need, & 5 minutes later it's done. This also includes an auto tune on a 3920. There are people on the various Motorola boards who offer this service.

underlift

With some of the older types of Mtx Mts you could push a fully loaded codeplug in without any problems I assume these XTS could do the same?

SCPD

QRT
Your options are like mentioned,

1 Buy or trade for another with flashcode you need.
2Find a person to have it re flashed who offers the service which means it'll have to be sent out or unless you find a local with capability.
3 go through the process and see IF motorola will do it. Since it is a eol with extended service model they may nkt do it at all. If your a agency and have a contract with them and have a few hundred they'll do it but for one radio that is eol to them probably not. So your probably back to options 1 and 2.

N4KVE

Option 2. Read some posts on Batlabs. The usual fee for this is $35. For that radio, you don't even need to sent it out. You plug the radio into your computer. The fellow who offers this service connects to your computer via the internet, & remotely "upgrades" the radio. People even offer this service on E-Bay.

SCPD

QRT
Option 2. Read some posts on Batlabs. The usual fee for this is $35. For that radio, you don't even need to sent it out. You plug the radio into your computer. The fellow who offers this service connects to your computer via the internet, & remotely "upgrades" the radio. People even offer this service on E-Bay.

Had this done this way to upgrade the firmware on an Astro Spectra for rebanding. Worked pretty neat but the only issue was I had to open some ports on my firewall to allow remote access to my radio PC. Really the only decent way was since that radio has been EOL'd for a while.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
You can still obtain flashes for the XTS5000k via MOL (I actually ordered some the other week) but with their latest shenanigans you will mostly likely have to go through a preferred partner.

There are some other ways that involve non-Motorola approved practices which due to recent events can not be discussed on any US/Canadian based forum. Not to say that there haven't been some security breeches in Schaumburg which have allowed some leaked software out but like I said, unless you work for the depot at Motorola it's not approved.

N4KVE

If you needed an upgrade for a radio involved in any type of public safety application, then for sure, do it the proper way. But if you are using the radio for your hobby, it really doesn't matter if it's "approved". Look at all the radios on that auction site that started off life as basic no display/no keypad radios with basic flashcodes that are now full featured radios that do everything. How did that happen?

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
Motorola (and other companies) seem to think that they have the smartest programmers in the world, people they usually just hired off the street, and they're alarmed when within 10 years (more like weeks in some cases) it turns out that other people NOT working for them are every bit as smart as their programmers, or smarter, and are able to break/reverse engineer their most complicated systems made to secure data or at least obscure it. (Security Thru Obscurity, it's the Motorola Method!)

Ultimately, all that security is meant to stop a single bit, in some cases, from being flipped. Or a few bits. If you know your stuff and can trace the movement of data thru the program, any good hacker can, if he puts the time and effort into it, soon start unscrewing things that the program authors intended to be quite inscrutable.

Motorola puts 50 locks on the door that protects the switch that makes a radio do something useful.
A good hacker pulls the hinge pins out, drops the door on the floor, and flips the switch behind it.

The only way to completely end hacking as a useful tool is to fully encrypt the radio right down to the operating system, and even then you'd have to also fully encrypt the computers that connect to it and run any software that works with it. Only end to end encryption has any chance of completely ending hacking as we know it today.

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
Motorola announced EOL for the 5K at the end of November and is the cut-off to purchase legit flash upgrades. So if you are going to do it through them you might want to place the order as early as possible.

underlift

ok thanks for all the useful onfo. I believe that I might have found a way around that using old RSS we are not allowed to discuss openly and it seems to work without bricking the radio

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.