• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

GR300 Radio Swap VHF

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a VHF GR300 with GM300 radios. I need to update the radios for narrowband operation. Looking for the less hassle of swapping radios, something that can replace the GM 300's. Been looking at 750's. Don't need anything but 25 Watt, conventional pl, repeater operation so a 4 channel radio is good.

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
If you wanted to keep the 300's they did make a narrowband version. Check the 7th and 8th digits in the m/n if its a 00 or 09 (I'm about 95% sure on the 09, it's been a while).

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
I have a VHF GR300 with GM300 radios. I need to update the radios for narrowband operation. Looking for the less hassle of swapping radios, something that can replace the GM 300's. Been looking at 750's. Don't need anything but 25 Watt, conventional pl, repeater operation so a 4 channel radio is good.
Everything I've seen suggests that the CDM750's are good replacement choice. Assuming the GM300's have and use the 16 pin accessory connector, it's almost a direct swap. The CDM's don't require the loudspeaker jumper that the GM300's do. The CDM's are easy to program for repeater operation.

Tips and tricks at repeater-builder.com for both radios.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
If you wanted to keep the 300's they did make a narrowband version. Check the 7th and 8th digits in the m/n if its a 00 or 09 (I'm about 95% sure on the 09, it's been a while).
The narrowband version was never type accepted for Part 90 use. And they were few and far between because they could not do 12.5 and 20 and 25 KHz spacing. It was either wide or narrow, but not both.

If the 7th character of the model number is a 0, it's got 12.5 KHz channel spacing. A 2 in that position indicates 20/25/30 KHz channel spacing at VHF

The 9 you mention is part of a 2 character coding for Expanded Logic Board 16 channels. A 0 in the eighth position indicates a Masked Logic Board.

Status
Not open for further replies.