Need help with programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

littlerip

I recently bought 4 used vhf radios for farm use this fall. I have two Motorola cdm 750 and two Icom IC F-5011. Just need to get them programmed and didn't know where the closest place to to get that done is. I'm located in Rush County. Thanks for the help.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
You of course have an FCC license to legally use these radios on the business pool assignments correct? Or were you going the MURS route?

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
I recently bought 4 used vhf radios for farm use this fall. I have two Motorola cdm 750 and two Icom IC F-5011. Just need to get them programmed and didn't know where the closest place to to get that done is. I'm located in Rush County. Thanks for the help.
Take the Motorolas to a Motorola dealer or repair shop. Take the Icoms to an Icom shop. If you're lucky, it might be one shop for both. Take a current copy of your FCC license with you along with any other technical data like PL tone info.

Expect to pay $30+ for each radio. It's a good time to have them bench checked as well.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
If your legal for the Business Pool, or going MURS.. here is Moto Shop....
Elkhart Location Motorola Two Way Radio Dealer Indiana and Kentucky ERS-OCI Wireless

They also operate the ERS MotoTRBO TRS system statewide.

And for iCom... Here are the closest dealers....
28 Miles
TNT Electronics
67 South Main Street
Losantville, IN 47354
Phone: (765) 468-7470
Email: tntelec@hotmail.com
Land Mobile
32 Miles

J.E.S. & Sons Inc.
817 E. Murry St.
Indianapolis, IN 46227
Phone: (317) 788-4594
Fax: (317) 782-0704
Land Mobile
32 Miles

Lightning Two Way Radio, Inc
784 Redbud Lane
Greenwood, IN 46142
Phone: (317) 865-1111
Fax: (317) 888-0605
Land Mobile
34 Miles

Cardinal Wireless, Inc.
6925 Hawthorn Park Drive
Indianapolis, IN 46220
Phone: (317) 598-1720
Email: lswindler@sbcglobal.net
Land Mobile
41 Miles

J&K Communications, Inc.
8212 Country Club Place
Indianapolis, IN 46214
Phone: (317) 271-2050
Email: RLove@JKComm.com
Land Mobile
45 Miles

R & L Electronics
1315 Maple Avenue
Hamilton, OH 45011
Phone: (513) 868-6399
Fax: (513) 868-6574
Email: roger@randl.com
Web:R&L Electronics
Amateur
Receivers

Last edited by a moderator:

SteveC0625

Premium Subscriber
You of course have an FCC license to legally use these radios on the business pool assignments correct? Or were you going the MURS route?
MURS being limited to 2 watt portables and all, it's probably not advisable to use MURS for mobile units that are 25 watts or greater. Just sayin'.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
MURS being limited to 2 watt portables and all, it's probably not advisable to use MURS for mobile units that are 25 watts or greater. Just sayin'.

Yeah, I know... Just trying to keep it on the positive and hoping he is legal at least. If not, then he wont be getting them programmed legally, and then in hot water if he steps on anyone else using those freqs that is farming etc in the area... Luckily a lot of farmers are now moving up to DMR and NXDN radios due to the pretty slick sales folks!

littlerip

I do not have a license. I talked to somebody from two way radios.com who said when I asked if I needed that the fcc doesn't monitor it very closely and since I was in a rural are not to worry about it. He also said it costs $400 for a license. Was I misinformed?

SteveC0625

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, I know... Just trying to keep it on the positive and hoping he is legal at least. If not, then he wont be getting them programmed legally, and then in hot water if he steps on anyone else using those freqs that is farming etc in the area... Luckily a lot of farmers are now moving up to DMR and NXDN radios due to the pretty slick sales folks!
That's why I suggested taking it to a radio shop. They pretty much play by the rules.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
Unfortunately, you can not legally use those radios on MURS as they are far too high powered, so you would have to go the VHF Business Pool.. And to legally use them on those freqs.... You have to be licensed by the FCC. And no radio shop is going to touch those radios for you if your not legal. Now there is one step to legally go around the FCC licensing.... You will go to one of the radio shops. You will then rent/lease an set of radios, and airtime on one of thier systems. Or you will find an online backroom guy with an computer, the CPS, and RIBs for those radios who will then program them illegally, and then you run the real threat of hefty fines and/or jail time for not doing it right. Or you can go and apply for, and get an license from the FCC and legally use one or two frequencies to get the job done.

littlerip

Upon further research here recently if I understand correctly I need an LMR license that costs around $290. Does LMR require an exam? Is this correct

Viper43

or rent ERS DMR radios for $20 a month.... actually not a bad deal!

and it can be a tax writeoff too

littlerip

Never mind. I see that ERS can help with licensing. I will give them a call tomorrow. Thank you for your help.

littlerip

or rent ERS DMR radios for $20 a month.... actually not a bad deal!

Unfortunately I have already spent a chuck of change on the equipment and dont want to mess with constant install and uninstall from season to season.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
An LMR lic for the business pool is 290 to 300 yes. No LMR does not require an test of knowledge as HAM does. But you also need to find your local coordinator and work with him/her to go through the paperwork to set up your license. And you need to decide if your only going to use the HTs or add an Base, Mobiles, or Repeater to the mix. Is your operation only an very small area, or do you need to roam around to larger areas with multiple sites to work on? Do you need an smaller area lic for just say an 30 km area... Or an roaming type for the whole state? Or if your only going to be needing the comms for a short time, then as has been mentioned... Get an set of radios, and airtime on one of the local systems such as ERS, or JES & Sons, or Cardinal Wireless, or J & K Wireless. They also have conventional repeaters along side thier LTR and MotoTRBO and NexEDGE TRSs. Getting an FCC License is the smart thing for long term.... But, it will take months to get the ball rolled to the finish line. If your needing comms ASAP.. Go the rental/lease route.

Viper43

Unfortunately I have already spent a chuck of change on the equipment and dont want to mess with constant install and uninstall from season to season.

use HT's and no install and uninstall. Plus, you could be in Northern Indiana and still talk to your people in Rush Co. on the ERS system. Sell what you have and you would have enough to set yourself up pretty well. Also, they have a cell phone app that lets you use those as radios. I know a couple companies here that do that. And no license needed as your under there license.
They also have data that can track the workers like guys out plowing fields etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.