• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

APX7000 V/7/8 stubby antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfab

Hello all,

I'm wondering if anyone can give any advice on stubby antennas and how effective they are. I currently have the long arm pit poker (and eye poker when it's in my bunker coat pocket). I'm sure they do fine on repeated channels, but we use simplex channels regularly in my county and I want to make sure I will still be able to hear and be heard on those channels.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Sent from my LG-V521 using Tapatalk

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
I did an totally unscientific comparison using the APX RSSI display and the local NOAA WX channel. I saw about 8 "points" degregation on the shorter antenna.
I wouldn't call the shorter one I have a "stubby". It's maybe 2-3" shorter than the full. But it's a lot more comfortable than the full.

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
I have been using the newest "shorter V/7/8" antenna and have seen no real difference in performance in any of the bands ( I have TX and RX capabilities in all three). I wouldn't call it a stubby either, but is no doubt more comfortable than the 1st generation that felt like a low band antenna. :)

HarryWilly

Do you have a part number on that? I have seen the "stubby" one you are referencing at places such as eBay referring to it as "OEM" but no one lists a part number, and I don't see any option other than the "pit poker" (NAR6594A) on MOL

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
I did what thunderknight did minus using a noaa channel and got the same results on a apx6000. Ive been running a stubby for a long while now and haven't had any issues. I'm sure someone out there will say different though. Nar6595 is the part number on mine.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
There is at least one company who makes custom cut/tuned antennas.
When i carried an APX6000, and didnt need the GPS, i swapped my 700/800 out for one i bought on ebay.

Of course, this was on a strong statewide p25 system, so i didnt see any degradation.

Shorter then the OEM stubby

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
According to my order slip, I have a NAR6596A. So now I'm confused :) It does say VHF 7-800 GPS on the antenna.

That is the correct antenna that is the shorter of the three, not what I would call a stubby though. I have the same in service and works just fine. For some reason the 96A isn't listed there and I had to wait until I got home to look at the part # that I have here.

Status
Not open for further replies.