Editting Calgary Municipal talkgroup ID's

Status
Not open for further replies.

davecason

Hi Folks,

So I finally have some free time and I've been playing with my Uniden BCD396XT and I got a database from a buddy quite a long time ago but since I've been playing with it now I'd like to update it's programming.

I watched the Radio System Basics Video in the New User / Getting Started Forum and also read the stickys and did a search for my question (no joy) so since they said post your questions in the local forum for your area here we go ......

I was playing with the scanner last week and I got it hooked it up to a PC and got this going ..... (see pic) and it shows what I'm trying to fix right now. When the scanner is running I'd like to update the data in the name field when it finds a talk group. The System field seems to be OK but the Group field could use some work too, but for now I'll just tackle "Name" field if I can, I have no idea.

I don't see anyway to edit that file in the software that is currently logging the calls so that's part two of the problem (what software can be used to fix it ) but it jibes with I want to try to do right now.

If you look at the attachment that I included you can see a picture that I took with this radio and the Uniden software running, it can live log calls to a PC ... (pretty cool and I discovered that last week) but anyway, some of the calls are showing up with a "name" and some only show an ID # and that's what I'm trying to fix.

As you can see in the picture some calls are logged as "A4 Dispatch" or the "CPS All Call" and that's what I'd like to fix. It's a bit better than seeing ID:16400.

So I have two questions - can I fix that name display and how or with what software, and two where can I get the info as to what that name is?

Like I said I got the database that's in the radio from a friend a long time ago so I'm assuming that he must have edited the name field and put in the current name or description of that group. Where can you get that info and then how do you add it to the radio, or is such a thing even possible?

If you have any suggestions or can point me in the right direction it's appreciated, the scanner works just fine, I'd just like it to make more sense when I'm using it and get better at playing with it and it's features.

Cheers'
Dave

Attachments

• rsz_1uniden.jpg
    rsz_1uniden.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 357

ka3aaa

Premium Subscriber
It might be helpful if you would tell us what system you are trying to listen to and what software are you currently using. In other words quit being so vague and just maybe someone can help you out.

It appears that with the software you are showing you should be able to edit any cell by itself.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
We can also start with the software- if you're using the old Uniden UASD, it's really not set up for the XT series scanners. However, FreeScan - as it's name implies, it's freeware - is the way to get started.

https://sites.google.com/site/sixspotsoftware/downloads

And since you are a premium subscriber, why not just download what you need from our database? The user guide for this software is in our wiki, but it's also available in FreeScan from the toolbar, Help /Online Help...

FreeScan User Guide - The RadioReference Wiki

Mike

mciupa

Canadian Database Admin

davecason

Editing ID's

Hi Guys,

Well I guess I am being vague because I don't know how to describe what I'm asking. I'm also not even sure if I can do that ...... that's why I was reading the New User / Getting Started Forum.

Let me just ask this: Can you change a name in a Uniden Scanner from just displaying a "Name" like ID:16400 to something more useful like "A4 Dispatch" like that picture shows.

That's just my main question ...... yes it's a newbie question.

I had a look at the link that mciupa posted and that is right, it is Calgary, so my second question is after looking at that page - how does the scanner know what Alpha Tag to show or display when it hits on a broadcast? Does it use that DEX or HEX number?

If these questions are to vague or wishy washy I can go post it back under the newbie forum and go start to learn there. For what it's worth the software that shows that logging on screen in the picture is something called BCD396T UASD Ver 1.4.1.1

I don't have any software to program the scanner with but I'll go look at that one called FreeScan - and start reading the Wiki - Thanks!!

Cheers'
Dave

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
It might be helpful if you would tell us what system you are trying to listen to and what software are you currently using. In other words quit being so vague and just maybe someone can help you out.

It appears that with the software you are showing you should be able to edit any cell by itself.

The title of the thread being "Editing Calgary Municipal talkgroup IDs" is too vague for you?

To Dave (OP): Yes you can assign names to TGIDs. Any software will let you do that, but FreeSCAN is the ideal software for the 396 platform, and it's relatively self-explanatory in its use.

davecason

Hi Jay!

Hi Jay,

Well at first someone fixed my original title for me but yep, I saw that software and grabbed a copy of it .....

I've since installed it and now got as far as pulling the programming file into the software.

I see the group on the left and the subsequent "channels" on the right (yea I know but i don't know what they're called - grin) so with the TGID already programmed in the software (and the radio) and the Display column filled out shouldn't the radio just show that Display name when that group gets picked up instead of just a ID: number?

Either way it's progress now, I know this radio can display the NAME, I've got software that can read/write to the radio now I guess I need to learn how to drive the software, we're getting there.

Can you suggest any further reading I can do on this problem? I didn't see much in the Wiki but I just started yesterday .....

My only other question is why is a guy from middletown, pa is in a Canadian Prairie and West Cost forum, (grin) maybe he likes back bacon and cedar trees? Anyway that's for the help and patience ....

Cheers'
Dave

davecason

FreeScan picture

Hi,

So here's is a screen shot of the radios programming.......

So does the radio use the TGID number (32880) to display the name you see that's in the Display
column (A2 Dispatch) or does it get it from another source?

If that is the case I can't understand why a few take groups show up with a name and the majority
just so an ID: number? Maybe its a setting in the radio?

Cheers'
Dave

Attachments

• freescan1.jpg
    freescan1.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 236

thundermedic

Database Administrator
Premium Subscriber
I don't know that radio that well, but the TGID is what the system sends out. The Display is what you have programmed to show up.

Is that not what's happening for you?

davecason

New file

Well,

I was looking at another scanner tonight and it seems that they're picking up more channels than me and its also displaying a few more ID's than I see on mine so I'm going to go hunt for a newer file for the Calgary Area as a start ......

Cheers'
Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.